saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Help Please, Looking into purchasing Vue Redline

Hey guys, im a L series owner, a 00' with 179k miles to be exact, i was looking at the local saturn shop, (yes it exist here, its a guy who buys saturns at auction and fixes em up) and he has a 2004 vue redline with 112k miles and wants 8400 for it.

http://maderacars.com/showcar.php?id=78

is this gonna bite me in the *****?

2 yr 24k mile powertrain warrenty.

I dont know how reliable these are and the v6 engine is going to be good or horrible on gas? what type of MPG's do these things get and what are standard features for the vue redline in 2004?

Thanks,
Matt
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Help Please, Looking into purchasing Vue Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattachuz View Post
Hey guys, im a L series owner, a 00' with 179k miles to be exact, i was looking at the local saturn shop, (yes it exist here, its a guy who buys saturns at auction and fixes em up) and he has a 2004 vue redline with 112k miles and wants 8400 for it.

http://maderacars.com/showcar.php?id=78

is this gonna bite me in the *****?

2 yr 24k mile powertrain warrenty.

I dont know how reliable these are and the v6 engine is going to be good or horrible on gas? what type of MPG's do these things get and what are standard features for the vue redline in 2004?

Thanks,
Matt
That price seems a bit high to me for an '04 with that many miles, although the 2 year powertrain warranty is a nice touch for a car with that many miles. In '04 the Redline was basically an add-on package for the regular V6 Vue that came with the 18in wheels, the body kit, and the sport suspension. Nothing else content wise was really standard on the Vue Redline beyond that in '04. From the pictures, it looks this Redline is pretty close to a base model as it has the cloth seats and doesn't have the advanced audio package with the subwoofer or any other additional options like the sunroof, leather, or rear dvd. It must have one of the uplevel MP3 radios, either the single disc MP3 or the 6 disc changer as it has the factory XM antenna on the roof, which is a nice option on the Vue. It also looks like it from the pictures that this Vue has a pretty good size dent in the rear liftgate. With all that in mind, I wouldn't rule this Vue out, but I would definitely try to talk them down in price. The Honda engine and transmission in this Vue are extremely reliable overall, but they require a timing belt/water pump/valve adjustment at 100,000 miles, which can be rather expensive, especially if done by a dealer. If this guy is a former Saturn mechanic I would ask him if this maintenance has been performed already because if it hasn't, you are probably looking at $1000 to $1500 in maintenance once you get the vehicle. Other than the big 100,000 mile maintenance, these Vues are pretty solid. The biggest issues tend to be with their suspensions making noise (bad stabilizer links and/or strut mounts), but thankfully these are relatively easy fixes and the parts for the Vue are cheap. As far as gas mileage, they tend to get mid to high 20s on the highway fairly easily, which is pretty good for a vehicle this size and especially considering the amount of power that it has, but city traffic/driving is where they suffer. On a good day with a light foot I can see low 20s in stop and go traffic, but I have seen my mileage as low as 17 or 18 mpg in all stop and go traffic. Overall the Honda powered Vues ('04-'07 V6s) are pretty great vehicles for the money. Good luck deciding on your new vehicle!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
That price seems a bit high to me for an '04 with that many miles, although the 2 year powertrain warranty is a nice touch for a car with that many miles. In '04 the Redline was basically an add-on package for the regular V6 Vue that came with the 18in wheels, the body kit, and the sport suspension. Nothing else content wise was really standard on the Vue Redline beyond that in '04. From the pictures, it looks this Redline is pretty close to a base model as it has the cloth seats and doesn't have the advanced audio package with the subwoofer or any other additional options like the sunroof, leather, or rear dvd. It must have one of the uplevel MP3 radios, either the single disc MP3 or the 6 disc changer as it has the factory XM antenna on the roof, which is a nice option on the Vue. It also looks like it from the pictures that this Vue has a pretty good size dent in the rear liftgate. With all that in mind, I wouldn't rule this Vue out, but I would definitely try to talk them down in price. The Honda engine and transmission in this Vue are extremely reliable overall, but they require a timing belt/water pump/valve adjustment at 100,000 miles, which can be rather expensive, especially if done by a dealer. If this guy is a former Saturn mechanic I would ask him if this maintenance has been performed already because if it hasn't, you are probably looking at $1000 to $1500 in maintenance once you get the vehicle. Other than the big 100,000 mile maintenance, these Vues are pretty solid. The biggest issues tend to be with their suspensions making noise (bad stabilizer links and/or strut mounts), but thankfully these are relatively easy fixes and the parts for the Vue are cheap. As far as gas mileage, they tend to get mid to high 20s on the highway fairly easily, which is pretty good for a vehicle this size and especially considering the amount of power that it has, but city traffic/driving is where they suffer. On a good day with a light foot I can see low 20s in stop and go traffic, but I have seen my mileage as low as 17 or 18 mpg in all stop and go traffic. Overall the Honda powered Vues ('04-'07 V6s) are pretty great vehicles for the money. Good luck deciding on your new vehicle!

Exactly what he said. The Honda engine is very fun to drive, and I find I get the best experience/fuel economy when I rev it up a little bit. The Transmissions need frequent fluid changes though (manual says 100k intervals, members including myself would recommend 20k intervals), and take note that the 2004 is currently NOT included in the torque converter recall.

The problem with the torque converter is it oscillates between locked and unlocked at low speeds in 5th gear. This results in constant RPM jumps up and down of about 200rpm while cruising at about 40mph. Setting the cruise or changing the tranny fluid stops it (even Honda recommends we change it every 20k for this reason), and very few have actually had a failure.

Fuel economy wise, I constantly get better than expected. In the dead of winter I'm getting over 300 miles highway, and a little under 250 city to about 12-13 ish gallons (50 liters in canada).

8K isn't a bad price for that car & the warrenty, especially if it's AWD. I would recommend this car.
2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

Last edited by pyroom; 03-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Hoagrod
Advanced Member
Hoagrod is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Sorry to thread jack, but can the torque converter issue be explained a little more and the recall you explained? I just bought my 2006 RL last Friday.
2006 Vue RedLine.
Hoagrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Hoagrod
Advanced Member
Hoagrod is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

Nevermind, just found the thread on it. I went to GM site through Yahoo and registered my vehicle under my name since I am the second owner and just bought it last friday.
2006 Vue RedLine.
Hoagrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagrod View Post
Sorry to thread jack, but can the torque converter issue be explained a little more and the recall you explained? I just bought my 2006 RL last Friday.
Read the following threads:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164389

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...145295&page=10
Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ill have to look into pricing about that dent, and as far as maintence im a bit worried, they have 2 types of cars they get in, 1. they fix up and sell and 2. they get ready to sell, this is one thats ready to sell so I wonder if anything have been maintained?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
ill have to look into pricing about that dent, and as far as maintence im a bit worried, they have 2 types of cars they get in, 1. they fix up and sell and 2. they get ready to sell, this is one thats ready to sell so I wonder if anything have been maintained?
Yeah I would definitely find out about the 100,000 miles maintenance. If it hasn't been done I would either ask them to do everything with it before you purchase the vehicle or to lower the price in order to make up for what you will end up spending to get all of its maintenance items taken care of. Obviously, if they aren't willing to take care of the maintenance issues on this Vue or work with you on price then there are plenty of other nice used Vues out there that will either have lower miles or that have already had their 100,000 mile maintenance done.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
Yeah I would definitely find out about the 100,000 miles maintenance. If it hasn't been done I would either ask them to do everything with it before you purchase the vehicle or to lower the price in order to make up for what you will end up spending to get all of its maintenance items taken care of. Obviously, if they aren't willing to take care of the maintenance issues on this Vue or work with you on price then there are plenty of other nice used Vues out there that will either have lower miles or that have already had their 100,000 mile maintenance done.
yea, this is the non AWD model but they have a AWD model but its even older.. for 8 grand i am trying to find like a 04 or 05 even
Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
yea, this is the non AWD model but they have a AWD model but its even older.. for 8 grand i am trying to find like a 04 or 05 even
So the Vue that your looking at isn't AWD? The one in the pictures that is electric lime is an AWD model....

This '05, if you can afford the extra $1500 or if you could talk them down in price, seems like a wayyyy better deal to me. It has pretty much every option available on the Redline's in '05 (advanced audio, ebony interior package, 6 disc changer, and sunroof), its a year newer, and it has about 40,000 less miles than the '04 that you're looking at....just a suggestion...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

Last edited by col_dude190; 03-14-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

well im trading in the 00 LS1 hopefully, i can get a brand new fully loaded 2011 kia optima for 9700$
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
well im trading in the 00 LS1 hopefully, i can get a brand new fully loaded 2011 kia optima for 9700$
Good luck with whatever you end up getting!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
How the heck do you manage that? Those are $30k fully loaded. And they're not putting money on the hood to move them and I know they're not giving you $20k for your LS1...
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
How the heck do you manage that? Those are $30k fully loaded. And they're not putting money on the hood to move them and I know they're not giving you $20k for your LS1...
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering how we went from talking about an $8000 used Vue to a high 20s to low 30s brand new Optima
Old 03-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #15
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

lol im talking about the initial lease cost, i know they cost a ton. im going down all my options

1. lease a car
2. finance a used car
3. find a used Saturn to finance
Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #16
docderek05
docderek05 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Matta,

I owned this '05 redline, black, awd, leather..since I bought it new,off the showroom floor. It now has 156,000 on it. I changed the dinosaur oil the first week I got the car and put synthetic in everything that turns. kept up with the maintenance, changed out normal wear and tear, and majors were only wheel bearings, antilock brake wheelspeed sensor, and strut links, front and rear..
I put in new shocks, normal wear and tear...I drive a ton every day..long commute. 800 miles every ten days, and I have Not had the 100,000 mile service, the engine runs strong, its fast, rpms right there, no odd noises, no bs, in sun, rain, snow like freakin' Alaska this year, and for the last 6 years, and this trucklette looks brand new. polymer body is very cool and resists alot of road abuse. My Driving consists of alot of highway, very lil stop and go in city traffic for me. really a highway cruiser, and blowing off old ladies in F-150s at red lights,when they give you the go sign,!!..that's about the extent of what I do..I would recommend the VUE RL, I am not a fan of the ELGreen...but I have to say..it's the most Rare color of an already very rare Vue. The people on this RL forum really love their cars, and from the info we share you will find that, so if you buy that RL, many great people here to help you, torture you, fight with you, but all in all, welcome you, and good luck with it. Best, Doc
docderek05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

How do you go from looking at that RL to a Kia Optima

Not even in the same ball park!!!

When I was looking for a vehicle back in 06, I could only wish I could get a regular 05-06 Vue AWD 3.5L I was young and couldn't afford payments.

I got myself a 98 SL, been a great car with very limited maintanence costs so far.7 months ago, looking for a newer bigger vehicle for our growing family, it was a no brainer! There were no RL for sale anywhere during the time i was looking for my Vue now. The RL are truly unique and are an all around great vehicle for the money. If that EL RL was around when i was looking, I would of grabbed that up in 2 seconds! 100k service...you have a 2 year warranty! not to say you should wait til the last month,but you have time! Find out whats been done,see if they'll work with you on price. My husband noticed a bent radiator and AC condenser due to a previous deer hit on ours.They worked so insurance opted not to fix it. We STILL were able to talk down 500,the cost of parts. I'm sure they'll work with you too.Please don't forget,that just cause it's at 112,doesn't mean it's anywhere near the end of its life! Read around the forum..theres Vues here with 170+

Best of Luck, keep us posted on what you decide.
"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Ew, you should NEVER be putting down money for a lease. And $9700 is a huge amount of money to be putting down for a lease.

You've gotta think about what's important to you. The new Optima is a heck of a lot of car for $30k. But with a lease you end up with nothing, and your payments have no end in sight then. The Optima is much less capable as well. If you move or need to tow something, well you're SOL. And of course, it's not yours, it's the leasing companies and you're paying them to use it.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Vue. I hate it's GM cheapness, but I love its utility and overall efficiency. I hate its pathetic residuals and the fact that mine is getting older and needing money put into it, but love to drive it hard like it's meant to.

IMO, the RL has a pretty harsh ride. It's not a comfortable cruising car at all. It hates puttering around town. It's only good when you push it some, when you cruise in it, all it's cheap flaws come out and it reveals that it was a typical GM product.

That said, I'll likely keep it for some time. Or give it to my dad. It's a capable vehicle,
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #19
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ya, the guys at kia wouldnt give me the totals after the numbers i ran them so i guess they can go to hell

as far as the EL the shop never updated the site and that one was sold, but they say every 3 weeks they have new saturns since they are always at the auction so for right now im going to keep my L series for as long it will put up with me but i do like the vues
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
HerBabyTruck
HerBabyTruck is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

That RL was priced low compared to most dealers on the west coast. Wonder if the guy is selling cars with branded titles? As far as Kia goes, you couldn't run fast enough to give me one. (maybe they have made some major improvements in the last 3-4 years? But all the feedback I've heard from owners was "cheap built junk") My opinion, of course, is from people I know that have had them. Personally I stand by my previous statement.
HerBigTruck = SILVERADO HD K2500 8.1 Allison
HerBabyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote