SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 12-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
zero_cool09
zero_cool09 will become famous soon enoughzero_cool09 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
Default Sub Woofer install with stock deck.

Hey Guys, so I got myself a 12 inch sub, a pioneer gm-d8500M amp, a 4ga wiring kit and a line output converter to change the line from the factory + - wires to the rca. Now I have looked on the how to library for a previous post on this and this is all I could find... http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83591

But I have a 1999 sl1 and was hoping somebody who has done this before could guide me on how to do it, instead of me taking the deck out and totally messing this install up. Thanks

P.S. Merry Christmas guys
zero_cool09 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Sub Woofer install with stock deck.

Follow his guide.
Use: http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.asp for the proper wire colors. The lower of the 2 tables is the one you need (works '91-'99 S-Series).

I think the similar location to tap the power on sense line is in the driver kick panel, instead of the passenger kick panel like the Ion's.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
ThDude
ThDude is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

I have set up 2 amps in saturns before, both in a sc2. Not sure about an sc1

I don't understand Why you got the wire adaptor, there should be a RCA left and right output o the back of the radio when u pull it out right next to the wire harness. That goes to your amp input RCA plugs. then your amp outputs with speaker wire to the subs, most amps also have RCA outputs on them but it is used to output to another amp most of the time.

So just a few pointers, first your power to your amp needs to go right to your battery + but hook this up last., i used a long shaft screw river and taped one end of the amps power wire to it(covering the tip of the blade to avoid cutting something) and pushed it through where most of the wires from the engine go into the car(I think it's under the dash on the drivers side). Once u push it in go to the other side where it should be visible and untappe it from the screw driver. Then pull how much slack you need to reach ur amp in.

Amp location, i like under the passenger seat for two reasons. Ground: it's best to ground as close to your amp as you can and the seat rail bolts go right into the chassy, great ground. And the shorter the wire from the signal to the amp the better, long wire can cause bad signal and such.

My subs are in a closed Box in my trunk. Idk what u should do with them.
1998 saturn sc2, 175,000 miles.

1993 saturn SL1 sedan, at least 560,000 miles before a cracked cylender head blew.

1994 nissan 300zx t top, 90k miles. currently restoring.
ThDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
ThDude

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

Sorry for the double post but I already used my edit on my firt post and I had to post somthing I forgot.

You need a in line fuse on your power wire no more then 10" away fro the battery.

1993 saturn SL1 sedan, at least 560,000 miles before a cracked cylender head blew.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
zero_cool09
zero_cool09 will become famous soon enoughzero_cool09 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

Hey guys, thanks for the reply, I got the rca converter because im using the stock deck and my amp only has the rca inputs... no +- as far as can see...

Also I need to tap into the pink wire or something for the remote (system control) isn't that right? so that the power only comes on when the stock head unit gets power...
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
ThDude

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

Have you pulled out your radio and it's housing to heck for the RCA outputs on it? Almost every car has them.

Remote wire is this: any wire(with the required amount of power) that is hot when the car is turned on. It does not have to be your radio wires, but they ar easy to use. Most of the time it is a blue wire. You strip the wire inva small spot and wrap the remote wire around the spot you striped. Try not to cut the wire in half when you strip it.

What I did with my remote was tie it into a wire under my dash that is alwase hot, I then put in a toggle switch on the remote wire so even of my radio is on I have the option to turn my amp off.

Also what is the wat peak on the subs and how many ohms are they? Product name would be nice

Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
ThDude

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

ok got some pictures and all for you.

your dash should look like this first picture, if this is correct then the black peice surrounding your radio should pop off if you pry it, im not sure. if not then detach your radio head peice and you should be able to pry out the radio box thingy(seen in picture number two)

once you pull out the metal peice it should look like my secound picture.

in the third one i am pointing at the RCA output that should be on it, or clse to it. thats where you plug in the RCA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38841335.jpg (75.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0734.jpg (64.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0735.jpg (59.8 KB, 26 views)

Old 12-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThDude View Post
Have you pulled out your radio and it's housing to heck for the RCA outputs on it? Almost every car has them.
Stock S-Series radio's do not, which you'd know if you followed your own advice (unless the pics are from yours, in which case you don't have a stock radio to check). Far as I know most stock radios in general don't have RCA's, at least for the timefram the S-Series was sold in.

For the Line Output converter you need to tap into the rear speaker leads.
Drk Blue is + right speaker, light blue is - right speaker
small yellow is -left speaker, brown is + left speaker.

switched +12v is also yellow, but it should be larger gauge then the speaker wire.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
ThDude

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Stock S-Series radio's do not, which you'd know if you followed your own advice. Far as I know most stock radios in general don't have RCA's, at least for the timefram the S-Series was sold in.

For the Line Output converter you need to tap into the rear speaker leads.
Drk Blue is + right speaker, light blue is - right speaker
small yellow is -left speaker, brown is + left speaker.

switched +12v is also yellow, but it should be larger gauge then the speaker wire.
(curse your edit at the same time i posted this) i blame my sc2, it has the outputs on it so i assumed most saturns radios had them. guess not.

ok so yes, your right then. the blue wires should be it. sorry for the missinformation.

well so far as the rest of it goes i can help.

i just cant believe that it does not have the RCA oututs on it, i figured my car was how most of them were.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThDude View Post
(curse your edit at the same time i posted this) i blame my sc2, it has the outputs on it (as it's not a stock radio)so i assumed most saturns radios had them. guess not.
Yours looks like a Pioneer. You'll like it a bit better if you replace the useless faceplace with the one with a pocket: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Popup...px?I=003GMK411
It's a Metra brand, not sure of the part number. If you search username "Low Saturn" and Metra you'll find it quick though.

One of 2, maybe 3, options for a stock radio (and probably what your SC2 had in '98): http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-Saturn...item2eba1b6723
Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #11
ThDude

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Yours looks like a Pioneer. You'll like it a bit better if you replace the useless faceplace with the one with a pocket: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Popup...px?I=003GMK411
It's a Metra brand, not sure of the part number. If you search username "Low Saturn" and Metra you'll find it quick though.

One of 2, maybe 3, options for a stock radio (and probably what your SC2 had in '98): http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-Saturn...item2eba1b6723
well, i dont think there is really a call for buying that. why would i want that pocket i dont need extra space to put things. also, im trying to keep the car as stock as i can.

if its a pioneer then aparently the sony made a radio face thingy to fit it, cuz mines a sony.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #12
zero_cool09

1999 SL1
Happy Re: Sub Woofer install with stock deck.

But if I "tap" into the rear speakers is that going to reduce any of the performance of those speakers I have installed? Also this is all my equipment specs, let me know if this is enough info:

My Sub is a 12" Energy with 4 ohms impedance, power handling nominal 250 watts, power handling max is 750 watts.

My amp is a Pioneer GM-D8500M which I believe is no longer sold anymore, cause I got it on clearance kinda deal.

I have 4 gauge wiring as I said before which was in a kit so I have the fuse and stuff.

And then I have the rca converter. So I think I have everything....

I have taken out the stock radio now and have it sitting on my desk. Do I tap into the appropriate wires that are leading into the radio before the connector plug?

Thanks guys
Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

When you get this done make sure you post up some pictures of the sub installed
1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

I'd save wiring trouble and just install the RCA converter under the rear package tray as all the wires are there and you won't need to get a 10-12ft RCA patch cable.
I think I had one in my SC2 now that I've thought about it. That's how they had it, T-Taps into the rear speaker wires going to the line converter then RCA's to the amp/sub.

You could mount it off to the side, by the wheel well if knocking it with loading the trunk is a worry.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
zero_cool09

1999 SL1

Hey guys these are the pictures of my install, I tried to upload the pics in order of the way I installed it, ask me any questions if you like.

I put the 4 gauge wire I had through the firewall first, you have to have a light shining through the space in order to see anything. Also if u choose the same spot as me, which looks like the only spot. The wire will be pretty high up behind the pedals.

I then took out the three trim pieces on the driver side running along the car. That includes the driver's footwell, the seatbelt trim cover and the rear driver side footwell trim. I ran the wire under the carpet all the way to the trunk.

The remote wire I ran to the fuses on the passenger side of the center console under the radio and used the door chime to start up the amp.

I mounted my amp to the subwoofer and made all the appropriate connections. I ground it all with that baby seat fastener that pops out on the top on the trunk on the passenger side seat. this is also where I put the rca converter taking the two rear speaker connections and then running them to the amp.

after it was all connected I then put the power onto the fuse relay box, because I couldn't get it on the battery positive terminal directly.

I think I covered everything tell me what you think, first time doing this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2316.jpg (115.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2327.jpg (151.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2326.jpg (127.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2322.jpg (139.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2330.jpg (122.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2318.jpg (131.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2319.jpg (210.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2320.jpg (202.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2324.jpg (209.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2328.jpg (211.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
ThDude

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

Everyone may not agree with me but I don't think putting the amp on the subs is a good idea, it can mess up your amp cuz your subs vibrate and push so the electronic parts in the amp can be messed up

Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
zero_cool09

1999 SL1

I haven't heard anything about that happening. I'm not saying that sounds improbable or anything. I just have never heard anyone mention that to me. You could be right, has anyone else been told this?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
ThDude

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_cool09 View Post
I haven't heard anything about that happening. I'm not saying that sounds improbable or anything. I just have never heard anyone mention that to me. You could be right, has anyone else been told this?
I mounted my amp in the trunk and had issues with it getting a lot of static when I turned my subs up.

A amp is a computer, i don't know about you but I don't go putting my computer on a dryer or washing machine, or somthing else that moves a lot. It would hurt it eventually.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #19
zero_cool09

1999 SL1

I believe the amp's parts are all solid state. A computer, whether a desktop or laptop is for the most part the same, but it has one or more hard drives and optical drive that contain moving parts. This amp doesn't have anything like that. So I think it should be fine. From my experience with computers generally the parts that break from movement (being dropped or whatever) are the parts that have moving components.

I think the reason I would also prefer it one the subwoofer is it makes locking up all my equipement easier. I put a small chain and lock on afterwards and I don't know how else I could do that if the amp wasn't mounted to the sub.