SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 01-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of light

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Collapsed driver's seat L200 + repair

2002 L200
203,000 miles

We noticed that the driver's seat had collapsed DOWN. Like we were suddenly sitting on the floor!

I took it out and found what has to be the world's worst way to build a seat. Big opening in the seat pan. The foam cushion held from falling by cheap, rotted nylon screen. Add to this all stamped steel is unpainted, with surface rust Just like the hidden dashboard and console parts in my SL. I guess it would have killed them to run it through a paint trough.

Plus the cheapo nylon twine that pulled the bottom of the upholstery closed, was broken, so I had to fish another twine through the sewn channel.

Here's my $6 repair. Overcut and stuffed a carpet sample in the opening. Then used fence wire to string across the opening. Hope it holds for another 12 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150121_0003.jpg (133.3 KB, 266 views)
97 SL. Bought 7/07, reluctantly sold Dec 2019
Burgman 400- indestructible beast
Sportster 883- fun bike
Cannondale 29er- daily driver
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Collapsed driver's seat L200 + repair

Oh man, you screwed it all up
and left out the cardboard.

Whateverworks, I say.
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The world would be a better place if all of our repairs would cost $6.00!
382K miles (engine replaced @ 375K).
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My driver seat collapsed about a week ago. I'm going to try something like this repair for myself. That repair shown above won't ever need to be redone!

In the mean time, I placed a yoga exercise pillow underneath the seat and it's supporting it very well. The seat feels the same as it did before. So my wife and I went out to find another one, but alas, all yoga exercise pillows are not created equal. Ours is taller than anything we were able to find in the stores currently.
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of lightMikeNW is a glorious beacon of light

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

If I were to do this again, I would use thinner wire. The fence wire was very hard to work with
Later, I did the same thing to my S car.
97 SL. Bought 7/07, reluctantly sold Dec 2019
Burgman 400- indestructible beast
Sportster 883- fun bike
Cannondale 29er- daily driver
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #6
Baby's Ride
Baby's Ride is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you so much for posting the photo of your fix! I followed it as a guide tonight to repair the driver's seat in my '03 L200. Here is a 1-min. time-lapse video of my repair: youtu.be/OIDJQQcFNvM. Sorry that it can't be a link, but I don't have the required number of posts under my belt, yet. Enjoy!
Baby's Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
PaulGraz
Advanced Member
PaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to all

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Wow - just happened to mine too - thanks for the post - I'm going to try a similar fix!
----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 282K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
Wow - just happened to mine too - thanks for the post - I'm going to try a similar fix!
I purchased a thinner gauge wire for my repair and also wrapped it at least two times around each "anchor point." Additionally, I added some material underneath the cushion to bolster the seat some. It all worked, but as a result of that repair I occasionally get some light squeaks from beneath my driver seat. I'd suggest visiting at "pick 'n pull" wrecking yard if it has an L Series car there go and remove the fabric piece beneath the seat and use it instead. The yard won't charge you much for it. Buy two if you can!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
joc67
joc67 is a jewel in the roughjoc67 is a jewel in the roughjoc67 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I purchased a thinner gauge wire for my repair and also wrapped it at least two times around each "anchor point." Additionally, I added some material underneath the cushion to bolster the seat some. It all worked, but as a result of that repair I occasionally get some light squeaks from beneath my driver seat. I'd suggest visiting at "pick 'n pull" wrecking yard if it has an L Series car there go and remove the fabric piece beneath the seat and use it instead. The yard won't charge you much for it. Buy two if you can!

I used the existing mesh screen where center is molded to bridge with tough rubber it split clean dead center. I used hvac vent thin sheet metal cut out two piece 12" L x 2" with. I put one cut out metal under the rubber where split and the other over it and I drilled 5 holes to each side and riveted it it's holding fine. I put in 3 12" baseboard moldings to fill the little bit of slack.
joc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
PaulGraz
Advanced Member
PaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to all

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Sorry to bump an old thread - but I thought this was the best place for this question.

I've got the seat unbolted and ready to come out of the car - but I can't get the power connector off! I can unclip the whole thing from the seat - but i can't get the connector to separate so that I can remove the seat from the car!

There's obviously a trick to this that I'm just missing...
----
~Paul
Old 09-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
PaulGraz
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread - but I thought this was the best place for this question.

I've got the seat unbolted and ready to come out of the car - but I can't get the power connector off! I can unclip the whole thing from the seat - but i can't get the connector to separate so that I can remove the seat from the car!

There's obviously a trick to this that I'm just missing...
Found the secret little pry spot on the bottom! Got it undone, seat repaired, and re-installed. Thanks to the previous posters for the guidance!
----
~Paul
Old 08-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #12
havai
havai is on a distinguished road

about the suggestion to visit a pick 'n pull, last week I found one that had six (6!) L-series on their lot.... Alas, FIVE of them all had the exact same seat FAIL / split. The sixth is an L300 with a "power" leather seat, which raises a question: will an L-series power seat install and work on a non-power seat L-series? (same model year 2002) I'm especially curious, given the apparent electrical connection plug available underneath seat on my l100....
havai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #13
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I believe all the harnesses have plugs for the options. The only thing I have had to add to my car is the wiring for the center mount rear view mirror lights. I think the seats are plug and play. I think the heated seat wiring in the dash also. If you get the seats take the center panel form the dash.
2002 LW 300 loaded, only 95,000 original miles!
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
2000 LS1, TMU love those bcm failures.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:18 AM   #14
powerx86
powerx86 is on a distinguished road

Here is what I did and it worked. A bit more expensive but did not have to figure out the wire twisting and maybe a little stronger because what I am using.

I bought these at Lowes and S Hooks. Worked great and just tightened the nuts and re-installed seat. With the driver weighing in at 250 lbs - I knew this would be a strong solution.

This was done on my 2002 Saturn L200 with Electric Driver seat and works great! Now I can get rid of that stupid couch pillow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn-02-seat-issue.jpg (153.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Saturn-01-seat-issue.jpg (163.1 KB, 16 views)
powerx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:24 PM   #15
timl865
timl865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to behold

I have the membranes to repair these seats. It's so easy. If anyone is looking to buy any let me know.
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:07 AM   #16
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

An update to this old post of mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
... I occasionally get some light squeaks from beneath my driver seat. I'd suggest visiting at "pick 'n pull" wrecking yard if it has an L Series car there go and remove the fabric piece beneath the seat and use it instead. The yard won't charge you much for it. Buy two if you can!
The squeaks eventually worked themselves out. I can't be certain, but I think that the squeaks disappeared in less than a year. Regardless, that noise had stopped a very long time ago. In the end, I have no complaints against my own repair choice as it did work out well after all.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #17
jimmcdaniels
jimmcdaniels is a jewel in the roughjimmcdaniels is a jewel in the roughjimmcdaniels is a jewel in the roughjimmcdaniels is a jewel in the rough

Just to add my experiences here on adding needed foam to aged seats:

I've had GREAT success with my saturn and other vehicles just adding used FREE carpet foam padding, from trash padding, areas that were in the corner of a room.
Added under the seat foam-on top of the spring wires. after removing seat and detaching the fabric on 3 sides.

My brother is an upholster and says the foam breaks down/breaks in some and just needs more foam added to make up for it and the carpet padding is tougher/resists being cut into by the spring wires. It makes a night and day difference, restoring like new support.

I cut to size the main seat area and add around 2 layers of foam. A larger piece and then a smaller asscheeks area pad.
Just go by the looking where the seat needs it.
ALSO use spray adhesive to cut and add some foam to over and under if needed in the entry exit area edge that gets a beating.
Once I've added enough, when sat on, the seat feels firm like the back does.
The back never needs foam added, our body weight is in the seat.
I've added some to the passenger side seat as well but especially the driver's.
Of course don't add too much or you won't be able to get the fabric reattached, if it's too tight, it can tear. 2 or 3 sheets is the most to add.
Take care
jimmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:39 PM   #18
Maniaxe
Maniaxe is on a distinguished road

Thatís crazy I did the exact same repair!
Maniaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:46 PM   #19
timl865
timl865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to beholdtiml865 is a splendid one to behold

I have 3 of those membranes in good condition for sale. Super easy to fix
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote