SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Rear bushing R&R

A while ago I successfully repaired g/f 2002 L200, it was wearing out rear tires severely. Looks good after a year

Here are some pix of the tool I used and how it looks. The first bushing took about an hour. Then about 20 minutes each thereafter. Not a hard job (disclaimer coming>) this was a Southern car without rust.

Good luck! I think this cost about a C-note but stopped wearing out the rear tires. I think it was worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA bushing remover tool case.jpg (125.6 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg AA bushing remover tool.jpg (106.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Photo04171648.jpg (120.8 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Using the AA tool on L200.jpg (113.4 KB, 150 views)
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: Rear bushing R&R

The tool came from Advance Auto by the way.
08 Burgman 400

Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

Thanks for the post! Want to try bushings soon too and will have to pick this kit up!
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sometimes I'm a bit slow, but I assume that you replaced all four bushings at the rear wheel knuckles. Is that correct? How difficult or easy was it to replace the upper bushings in particular? Did you use this tool to remove and install the bushings? I removed them and had a mechanic friend of mine install them for me-he didn't charge me-so I don't know what that degree of difficulty would've been.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Used the same tool to remove and install.
Yes replaced all 4 bushings.
The whole operation wasn't that hard, a little clumsy maybe. This was a southern car so there was no rust. I think I oiled the bushings and they pressed in easily.

Good luck!

Sorry I took so long to reply
08 Burgman 400

Old 10-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
l300vinny
l300vinny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
A while ago I successfully repaired g/f 2002 L200, it was wearing out rear tires severely. Looks good after a year

Here are some pix of the tool I used and how it looks. The first bushing took about an hour. Then about 20 minutes each thereafter. Not a hard job (disclaimer coming>) this was a Southern car without rust.

Good luck! I think this cost about a C-note but stopped wearing out the rear tires. I think it was worth it.
Thanks for the post with the correct powerbuilt tool. I was using the wrong powerbuilt tool. I rented the powerbuilt tool, kit #25 from Advanced Auto Parts as a result of reading your post and the job went very well. The old bushings came right out and the new bushings went right in. The car is a 2004 Saturn L300 and I replaced the upper trailing arm bushings.
l300vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I just used a torch, a large punch and a sawsall. Hammered it out with a 3 lb. hammer and used a large one inch drive socket that fit over the rubber grommet and hammered the new one in. Took about an hour and a half to do both sides. I should have looked into a bushing removal tool first. Thanks for the heads-up on that. Luckily I didn't cut into the bushing seats on the hubs. I need to do my Mom's next.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 06-02-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
kenh747
kenh747 will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

is the wood in the pictures used to keep the control arm out of the way?
kenh747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh747 View Post
is the wood in the pictures used to keep the control arm out of the way?
I think I can safely answer that - yes, the wood block is used to keep the lower control arm away from the trailing arm while removing or installing the rear knuckle bushing. I would think that the same could be done when working on the upper bushing as well.

In the pictures provided it's not clear whether or not the upper control arm is still attached, although I suspect that it is. I believe that keeping the upper control arm attached provides leverage against which the block can be used to act as a spacer to push the lower control arm down while working on the lower knuckle bushing. If that's correct then it would seem best to keep one control attached while working on the opposite knuckle bushing.
350K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. I fear that I will be correct. I'd rather be wrong.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
neurotopia
neurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the rough

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I hate to pull some thread necromancy but I'm trying to do this job and I can't get the darn tool to stay seated when I tighten it. Granted I'm sure those bushings are pretty darn stuck in there, but if anybody has any pointers about how to align the tool/which fittings etc worked for them, I'm all ears.

Incidentally I've got the knuckle completely off the car so I've got fewer space constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post

neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #11
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does this thread help?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193891
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
neurotopia
neurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the roughneurotopia is a jewel in the rough

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It does! Just forget the receiving cup and use the end of the C and the first one popped right out. Ok it was a bit of a forearm workout, but still it only took a few minutes.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just so you know, it's not necromancy if you use the info for help. Before the millennium falcon was invented, older people used a library or if we could afford it, service manuals. I think we described them as databases for stored information. Saturnfans can be described as just another library database....... for Saturns.

I used Saturnfans to learn as much before replacing my steel bushings. The service manuals are completely lacking in snapshots, line drawings and engineering details, presuming manuals are for dealer service mechanics with warnings against diyers using it. There was a time long ago when service manuals were better written, giving many black and white images of parts, line drawings and sometimes engineering info for anyone with more than a few cells between the ears to use. The snapshots posted by members here did more to provide additional info before I attempted diy repairs.

We're glad you were able to perform diy repairs. Bringing back the past allows anyone to learn how to avoid mistakes. Unfortunately, an often repeated phrase is more familiar - failure to acknowledge past history dooms us to repeating it.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #14
neurotopia

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hey I'm just grateful all this info is out there. With the rear end completely rebuilt by next week (and de-rusted), I ought to be able to get another 4-5 years out of this car!