saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
cfisher2
cfisher2 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Question - Sound System Upgrade

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum, I just purchased this past Saturday a 2007 Aura XR, With all packages. I absolutely love the car in it's entirety, especially since my last car was a 98 Buick LeSabre custom, which was falling apart in every aspect. Last night was my first attempt at snow driving with the new car, not the best experience but i'm going to take into the consideration of the F1 upgrades at least by next winter.

I've always been a big audio person, i love my bass. The car sounds great and I have no complaints, but as with most things, I'm always looking for bigger and better. Basically, I was thinking about putting in a dual enclosure with 2 -12" subs and a 750watt amp, prolly run 4-gauge amp kit. But I was wondering if the stock radio (preferable) can be adjusted to accommodate this addition, or will i need to replace the head unit with something else. If anyone can shed any light or make any suggestions im open for all conversation. Hope to get to know you all more personally and look forward to sharing my Aura thoughts, comments, and updates with you all.

Regards,
~Craig (from Boston)
cfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
kwelz
kwelz is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Question - Sound System Upgrade

I haven't upgraded the sound system in my newest Aura, however in the original I added a 10" MTX in a small enclosure. All you need to do is get a line level converter and run it off one of the rear speakers. There is a place in the firewall that is big enough for a 4 guage wire and then run the remote wire from a lead going into the radio.
kwelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
cfisher2

2007 AURA XR

So I can just run a line-level converter off one of the rear speakers... how hard is it to get at the rear speakers? what'd you do for an amp, did it draw alot of power, am I gonna need a cap? How did the 1-10" sub sound? would you have considered upgrading beyond that? Thanks for responding to my post so quickly.

By the way a little more info about the car;
Aura XR
Techno Gray
All Packages/Moroccan Leather

I'd like to soon get the windows tinted, and add the chrome to the grill, i've seen a few people who did that and it looked nice.

I'd also like to see how the windows guards (plastic pieces over the windows to keep out the rain) look on someone else's car before i put them on my own...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
kwelz

2007 AURA XR

I actually started with 2 12 inch Orions (the Old style Orions before they were purchased by Directed Audio) THey were WAY to much. All that sound proofing not only keeps all the other sound out but it keeps sound IN.

the SIngle 10 was more than enough.

THe speakers are easily accessible from the trunk I ran the wire out the small opening on the left side of the trunk and it worked flawlessly.

At no point did I have a power draw problem. My Amp was rated at 600 Peak with 350 RMS and I never saw my lights dim.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I never post in car audio threads due to the amount of uneducated people that tend to post in them. I won't post again in this thread. I am in no way calling either of you uneducated.
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmaloney View Post
I never post in car audio threads due to the amount of uneducated people that tend to post in them. I won't post again in this thread. I am in no way calling either of you uneducated.
Huh? Did I miss something?
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
buffmaloney

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenster View Post
Huh? Did I miss something?
Sorry. I have experience in the car audio field. It gets very annoying trying to educate people as to what works and what doesn't. What products are worth the money and what is not. Some people swear by Sony car audio. Sorry. They are horrible. Bose isn't very good either. I want to pull my hair out when I see people recommending junk equipment.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
TedBell
TedBell is on a distinguished road

buffmaloney

Do you think it is a wise option to keep the head unit and install new amps and speakers using the new stuff (such as JL Audio's CleanSweep) that takes the input from the head unit's speaker lines?

I heard this is what alot of folks are doing, since replacing the head units is more invasive that it used to be.

Your thoughts?
TedBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
buffmaloney

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBell View Post
buffmaloney

Do you think it is a wise option to keep the head unit and install new amps and speakers using the new stuff (such as JL Audio's CleanSweep) that takes the input from the head unit's speaker lines?

I heard this is what alot of folks are doing, since replacing the head units is more invasive that it used to be.

Your thoughts?
Better overall sound would be had by replacing everything, but in my Aura I would keep the stock head unit for a couple reasons. It looks right. I want to keep XM and the 6 disc in dash changer. I have an Eclipse top of the line cd player that works perfectly I could put in, but it's Sirius, single disc and won't look as nice in the dash. I am still considering it just because it is so nice.

As for anyone else, what do they want out of their system? Does looks matter? XM? In dash changer? Can you live with a stock head unit that may not be as high quality? If the choise was between stock and Sony, I stick with stock. Stock or Eclipse, Alpine, Clarion? Depends on how high up in the line the aftermarket cd player is.

As soon as I get the extra money, I am replacing my door speakers with Diamond components, adding my 4 channel Diamond amp and my Diamond sub. I am still undecided about the Eclipse. Maybe if I let my XM expire and get Sirius with the Eclipse.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
kwelz

2007 AURA XR

I do many things that involve sony and swearing, but it is not swearing by Sony. For me it came down to a balance between cost, looks, and quality. While the stock speakers aren't great I found that they are ok for now. Eventually I will look at upgrading them.

It sucks when people won't listen to experts. (I am no expert but I do know my way around a car Audio system) Please don't let the idiots keep you from sharing your knowledge from those who appreciate it and would like to learn from you.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
buffmaloney

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
I do many things that involve sony and swearing, but it is not swearing by Sony. For me it came down to a balance between cost, looks, and quality. While the stock speakers aren't great I found that they are ok for now. Eventually I will look at upgrading them.

It sucks when people won't listen to experts. (I am no expert but I do know my way around a car Audio system) Please don't let the idiots keep you from sharing your knowledge from those who appreciate it and would like to learn from you.
I find the stock speakers in most cars to be muddled. I want clarity in speakers.

What part of southern Indiana are you from? I am originally from Scottsburg. I have family in French Lick.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #12
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Sorry. I have experience in the car audio field. It gets very annoying trying to educate people as to what works and what doesn't. What products are worth the money and what is not. Some people swear by Sony car audio. Sorry. They are horrible. Bose isn't very good either. I want to pull my hair out when I see people recommending junk equipment.
Don 't be a fanatic. Ford vs Chevrolet. You're starting to sound like the people that believe a Ford can't go to the grocery store. I'm sure there's many Sony car audio products that are quite good, and if Bose was so horrible why is it the preminum sound system from most manufacturers? Because they make a really good sounding OEM system.

There are some people that believe if a speaker isn't made by JBL, it's junk. Not true. There are always equal alternatives. Normally Bose is not a good value because of their high price, but they're very competitive in performance.

I dislike the politically correct world we've become. You could mean that you have experienced some Sony car audio products that did not perform well.

That's like saying all Saturn's are junk because of the VTi transmission.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
buffmaloney

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Don 't be a fanatic. Ford vs Chevrolet. You're starting to sound like the people that believe a Ford can't go to the grocery store. I'm sure there's many Sony car audio products that are quite good, and if Bose was so horrible why is it the preminum sound system from most manufacturers? Because they make a really good sounding OEM system.

There are some people that believe if a speaker isn't made by JBL, it's junk. Not true. There are always equal alternatives. Normally Bose is not a good value because of their high price, but they're very competitive in performance.

I dislike the politically correct world we've become. You could mean that you have experienced some Sony car audio products that did not perform well.

That's like saying all Saturn's are junk because of the VTi transmission.
All Sony car audio is junk. Bose is called Blose for a reason. It's not good. The H/K, JBL, Infinity, Nakamichi OEM systems all sound better. My non-Bose system sounds better. It's attitudes like yours that make car audio a negative field. Open your ears and find out what really is quality. Sony car audio is NOT quality. May as well buy Kraco.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

no highs, no lows, must be bose. There is a reason why car companies put bose in their car. Most people think that bose are good speakers so they fall for the name and say ohhh its got bose. What they really dont know is that its a cheap $5 paper speaker.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
steveluvs3
steveluvs3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SC1

good lord I have had several sony units and never a problem with them, as a matter of fact a few of years ago I had a top of the line JL 12 and the dam thing blown 15 months later, so i replaced it with a sony explod 12 and I bumped that 12 for 3 yrs and it's still bumpin, I just replaced it with a punch 12 and a new fosgate and hooked it up to my aura stock unit and dam it sounds good. I have several head units in my life, kenwood,alpine,pioneer,blaupunk,jvc,panasonic and sony has to be in my top 2
steveluvs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
buffmaloney

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveluvs3 View Post
good lord I have had several sony units and never a problem with them, as a matter of fact a few of years ago I had a top of the line JL 12 and the dam thing blown 15 months later, so i replaced it with a sony explod 12 and I bumped that 12 for 3 yrs and it's still bumpin, I just replaced it with a punch 12 and a new fosgate and hooked it up to my aura stock unit and dam it sounds good. I have several head units in my life, kenwood,alpine,pioneer,blaupunk,jvc,panasonic and sony has to be in my top 2
I personally wouldn't use any brand you mentioned. Any speaker can be blown. ANY. The key is to set them up with the right equipment.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
kwelz

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
I find the stock speakers in most cars to be muddled. I want clarity in speakers.

What part of southern Indiana are you from? I am originally from Scottsburg. I have family in French Lick.
Small world. I am from Henryville, just 10 miles south of Scottsburg.
Like I said they are not perfect but they are ok for now. I want to do an entire system swap when I finally do. That includes in Dash Navi, etc. So I figure it is easier to take a weekend and do it all instead of a bit here and there.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #18
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
no highs, no lows, must be bose. There is a reason why car companies put bose in their car. Most people think that bose are good speakers so they fall for the name and say ohhh its got bose. What they really dont know is that its a cheap $5 paper speaker.
best advice i ever heard for sound equip:

Buy Other Sound Equipment
Quote:
i can understand the muddled comment, but have you tried messing w/ the EQ? First thing I do in a car that has it, is change to the 'V' EQ shape (low @ max, mid @ mid, high @ max). tends to make things sound a lot better - to me anyway *shrug*
+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
cfisher2

2007 AURA XR

wow hadn't checked back in a bit, wasn't expecting so much feedback.

I agree with the stock deck comment, I want to keep the stock deck as it looks nice, XM, and the 6 disc changer. I've been doing car audio for a bit now, and I'm in no way a connoisseur, but I've had a few different brand decks, amps and woofers. I always look at reviews on equipment before I buy it, to see what professionals and also customers think of the product. I guess i'm not looking to do an overhaul, just simply add a 12" sub (I was looking at the kicker solo-baric L7) and even the kx750.1 amp that kicker offers, just to keep it in the same audio family. I've seen a few reviews with this setup, and it's more than enough for what I need. I'm not in high school anymore so rattling windows, and setting off alarms is not what im looking for, I'd also like to be able to utilize trunk space. My last vehicle was a 2000 Buick LeSabre, and it had 3 12" RF Punch, a 1000 watt Sony Explode (sucked ass, and overheated alot), a 1FD cap, Alpine 500 watt amp, and 2 6-way pioneer 6x9's in the rear. I had a 4-GA setup coming off the battery fused, and then into the cap, then split to each amp. the sony amp powered one 12" RF and had a passive crossover to kill the lows going to rear speakers (so they wouldn't blow) the alpine amp pushed the other 2 12" RF's. It sounded realllly good, but im selling it all to a friend to put in his escape. I want to keep it simple, 1 sub, 1 amp, preferably not change out dash unit.

Thanks again guys for all the feedback.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
buffmaloney

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
Small world. I am from Henryville, just 10 miles south of Scottsburg.
Like I said they are not perfect but they are ok for now. I want to do an entire system swap when I finally do. That includes in Dash Navi, etc. So I figure it is easier to take a weekend and do it all instead of a bit here and there.
You might know some of my family that lives in the area, but I won't give names here.