SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 04-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
Eberto
Eberto is on a distinguished road

Default Need some advice

Hey all! So Iím in a bit of a conundrum, most of which is caused by a general distrust for the dealer where I bought my 08 Astra back in 2011. Nevertheless, hereís where weíre at:

Headlight blew about two months ago. I replaced the bulb, but no luck. Figured electrical issue, but wasnít due for inspection until now, so ignored it. Check engine light has been intermittently on for a year, always throws the same code referencing running lean, and the purge valve solenoid. Of course, as Iím known to do, I ignored it.

Dropped car off at dealer for inspection and oil change, and asked them to figure out the electrical issue and clarify the check engine light. They come back with a quote of $3k to replace both headlight assemblies, the PV solenoid, and the UEC. Their report states, ďinsulation missing on headlamp wire causing short, and no power present from UEC. Rec replacing headlamp assembly and replace and program UEC.Ē

Now, the issue with the assemblies, AFAIK, is that they weep quite a bit. So, while I should replace them, Iím not gung ho about dropping anywhere from $6-1200 to do so, depending on whether I do them or they do them, so thatís on the backburner.

As far as the UEC goes, can anybody give me a clue as to how they could diagnose no power present, when the right headlamp and both fog lights still work? Isnít the wiring harness for the lights one unit that splits between all four lights, and could therefore just be replaced? Past that, if it does need replaced, is it truly a $1k job between P&L?

Thanks all!
Eberto is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberto View Post
Hey all! So I’m in a bit of a conundrum, most of which is caused by a general distrust for the dealer where I bought my 08 Astra back in 2011. Nevertheless, here’s where we’re at:

Headlight blew about two months ago. I replaced the bulb, but no luck. Figured electrical issue, but wasn’t due for inspection until now, so ignored it. Check engine light has been intermittently on for a year, always throws the same code referencing running lean, and the purge valve solenoid. Of course, as I’m known to do, I ignored it.

Dropped car off at dealer for inspection and oil change, and asked them to figure out the electrical issue and clarify the check engine light. They come back with a quote of $3k to replace both headlight assemblies, the PV solenoid, and the UEC. Their report states, “insulation missing on headlamp wire causing short, and no power present from UEC. Rec replacing headlamp assembly and replace and program UEC.”

Now, the issue with the assemblies, AFAIK, is that they weep quite a bit. So, while I should replace them, I’m not gung ho about dropping anywhere from $6-1200 to do so, depending on whether I do them or they do them, so that’s on the backburner.

As far as the UEC goes, can anybody give me a clue as to how they could diagnose no power present, when the right headlamp and both fog lights still work? Isn’t the wiring harness for the lights one unit that splits between all four lights, and could therefore just be replaced? Past that, if it does need replaced, is it truly a $1k job between P&L?

Thanks all!
I can't help you much with this as I find electric work confusing, but this is definitely not a 1k job, let alone 3k. What a rip off! I'd take it to a small mom pop shop and see if they can diagnose it properly. I think these guys are trying to rip you off to be honest.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
Eberto
Eberto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
I can't help you much with this as I find electric work confusing, but this is definitely not a 1k job, let alone 3k. What a rip off! I'd take it to a small mom pop shop and see if they can diagnose it properly. I think these guys are trying to rip you off to be honest.
Yea, thatís kind of my assumption. I just ordered the wiring harness and PV solenoid from Rockauto - total of $135. Iíve got a shop I normally take the cars to for work, and I had already asked him if he was willing to undertake it since he doesnít generally enjoy electrical work, and he said to bring it up to him. Iíve been going to him for almost 20 years, so I trust his assessment. If it doesnít fix the issue, Iíll cross that bridge then.
Eberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberto View Post
Yea, thatís kind of my assumption. I just ordered the wiring harness and PV solenoid from Rockauto - total of $135. Iíve got a shop I normally take the cars to for work, and I had already asked him if he was willing to undertake it since he doesnít generally enjoy electrical work, and he said to bring it up to him. Iíve been going to him for almost 20 years, so I trust his assessment. If it doesnít fix the issue, Iíll cross that bridge then.
That's great you got a reliable shop. Keep us posted I'm curious what the issue might be. The Astras give me concern with the electric issues they seem to have at times.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote