SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
mechanic380
mechanic380 is on a distinguished road

Default 2.2 ecotech replacement

I bought a vehicle with a blown engine at auction. I need to replace it. I am having trouble locating one and the one I have found is high dollar 950. I need some advice on what will work. I have found a couple on E-bay that with shipping would come in substantially less. only trouble is compatiility.

My car is an 04 Saturn L series with a 2.2 Ecotech F engine Vin code. The salvage places keep asking if it has an EGR valve. I believe it does not from looking at it.

Catalyst sticker (not sure if this is useful or not)
sfi/h02s/twc
4gmxv02.2025
4gmxr0124919

I hope you can help I found a couple on E-Bay that do not list the L-series as a compatible vehicle but that look identical and have the F engine code. Are these compatible?
mechanic380 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
mechanic380

Default Re: 2.2 ecotech replacement

I tried to post links but do not have enough posts to include URL's. It looks like the cheaper motors are mostly from the ION or Vue or other GMand do not list compatibility with my L-series. They typically say they have an EGR port in the head. Will these not be compatible with my car if I do not have an EGR valve?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
mechanic380

Bump. I need some help ASAP. I think I found the difference. My engine has the camshaft driven ps pump.The VUE has an electric pump. Final call for some assistance I have to get a motor this week.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, you have found the main difference between the two engines. I believe there are some other minor differences, but you could just swap over the parts from the engine that is in the car to the one you are putting in. The l-series 2.2L as you know uses the intake cam to drive the power steering pump, if you were to get an engine from a saturn vue or ion, they don't have a provision on the intake cam for running the ps pump. You could swap the intake cam out of your old engine and put it the engine you are putting in the car but you will have to reset the timing marks and such, it's more work but doable. I think the l-series 2.2's had a boss on the head for an egr valve but I think there may have just been a block off plate on them, I've never seen an actual egr valve on any l-series with a 2.2L though. Even if you got a motor that had an egr valve on it, the vehicle your putting it in won't have the ecm looking for it anyways, you could just leave the valve right on that engine and use it that way.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

From what I have seen the EGR is built right into the head on #4 cylinder exhaust port.
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote