SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
stonecoldsw
stonecoldsw is on a distinguished road

Default Pink Fluid on the Garage Floor

2001 LS 300 - 85,000 - on the last oil change (2 weeks ago), the dealer's service dept told me I had a small transmission leak due to a bent transmission pan so I had them replace the pan since I had noticed small spots of pink fluid on the ground. However, after the pan replacement, now I have bigger puddles of pink fluid on the ground.

It doesn't appear to be coolant as the level does not change in the resevoir.

Since I can't find a transmission dipstick anywhere to check its level - I'm guessing that the pan replacement did not solve the problem - in fact, it made it worse. Any ideas where to start? I'd rather not pay the service dept to look for this if its something simple...or am I screwed?
stonecoldsw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Pink Fluid on the Garage Floor

Something to consider; lay down some cardboard where the last drips were found tonight and in the morning note the position of the car before moving it to compare where the oil is dripping from. You can always look now, this evening, where the oil is dripping relative to the engine/transmission to see if the replacement transmission pan is the source of the leak. It may help to jack the car up and look around for the source of the oil and if the engine/transmission is covered in dirt/oil/grease, wipe/wash down as much as possible the dirty areas so any fresh oil leak will be more obvious tomorrow. These two combinations will give you a better view on things and whether or not the worsening oil leak may be from recent repairs.

Our cars now don't require periodic transmission level checks and there is a fill hole with a medium sized red cap for refilling transmission oil. There's a more complicated method of transmission oil level checking requiring either lifting the car off the ground by garage lift or the old school pit in the ground; the car must be level to measure the level of transmission fluid by removing a side plug at the height of where the fluid should be (just around the pan gasket or higher) and if fluid runs out, the level will settle automatically when no more fluid comes out, provided the car is as close to level as possible. If low, fluid is poured into the fill hole until it begins to run out the side port; this is the appropriate level of transmission fluid. Not as good as the old dipstick method but transmissions are completely different from yesteryears as front wheel drive systems use different designs for a compact engine/transmission coupling.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Pink Fluid on the Garage Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldsw View Post
2001 LS 300 - 85,000 - on the last oil change (2 weeks ago), the dealer's service dept told me I had a small transmission leak due to a bent transmission pan so I had them replace the pan since I had noticed small spots of pink fluid on the ground. However, after the pan replacement, now I have bigger puddles of pink fluid on the ground.

It doesn't appear to be coolant as the level does not change in the resevoir.

Since I can't find a transmission dipstick anywhere to check its level - I'm guessing that the pan replacement did not solve the problem - in fact, it made it worse. Any ideas where to start? I'd rather not pay the service dept to look for this if its something simple...or am I screwed?

I had the fluid changed on my LS1 and then it started leaking. Problem with the gasket not being reinstalled correctly. See where the leak is coming. If it's the tranny bring it back to them to fix properly
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote