SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-17-2021, 03:30 AM   #1
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default A/C Compressor suction line washers?

Quick one,
Are there any crush washers or O-Rings where the suction/discharge lines meet the compressor?

I have a small leak there and I was wondering how to source replacements before opening up the system.

Saturn Vue 2007 AWD 3.5L Base
Saturn Vue 2007 AWD 3.5L V6 - Honda J35S1/GM L66 Engine
GinkoSolutions.com
seansaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C Compressor suction line washers?

Yes, flat seals. A steel washer with a center rubber membrane covering the inner steel part to seal against vacuum and pressure. Flat seals on suction and discharge ports. If you're lucky, you can buy just one or two (if they're the same size) otherwise a set of seals in a package covers every seal needed for a system.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L

Great! Thank you! Do you know the size? or how to find out? I can always buy a set if not.

I have another question if you're up for it. I was wondering what the gold nodule on the side of the suction/discharge hose is used for? It's gold in the ebay image via the link above, but mine is rusted.

There is an image here:

I took a picture of mine here:

It looks like there may be a minor leak around that too, so I may need a new hose as well.
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 07-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pressure sensor; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=268784. In my experience, ac parts like hoses and compressor have seals on them. I bought a package of seals just in case one isn't included with a hose so I wouldn't have to go chasing down seals in the middle of repairs.

Check rockauto or local parts stores for seals. Online shopping seems easier to determine (from images) parts and any included seals. Calling ahead to a local parts store may help determine if seals are included with hoses.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

The pressure sensor is in the top, I was talking about the rusted nub on the side. You can see it in this post also: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=268784

Ok great, I'll probably buy a set of green o-rings and also some flat washers. thank you
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 07-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't have access to service manuals where I refer to for answers so I don't know what the other part on the manifold is. I'm familiar with most Saturn ac systems, either learning about them here, from service manuals, google searches or other online sources. This part isn't identified unless asking MVAC sites.

As shown below, this rockauto image shows what appears as a brass cap nut(?), two flat seals on both ports and a fitting with schrader valve (to transfer the pressure sensor from the old manifold?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue part.jpg (75.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:46 PM   #7
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thank you! I guess it will have to remain a mystery!

After a little research, I think it gave me a false positive, I believe it was just residual UV dye from when I changed out the scroll valve.

The compressor clutch wont engage because the pressure is too low, around 35psi on the low side. I guess it doesnt drop anymore because the leak is really small and the compressor clutch doesnt engage to lower it further.

I added a 12oz can with 1/4oz UV dye. The clutch engaged for around 30mins of freeway driving, then cut off due to low pressure. Haven't found the leak yet, the hunt continues!
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 07-19-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're using a uv light with a large leak (losing 12 ozs in one day) it shouldn't take long to find dye. And consider the two service valves as possible leak sources from worn valve cores and loose caps allowing refrigerant to leak out.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:56 AM   #9
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

It has alluded me so far!
Hopefully ill find it before the summer is over!

Might be near the evaporator, I think its the only place I cant easily check
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 07-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Whatever hearsay you come across from various dubious diyers including here, unless you're familiar with vehicle refrigeration systems and refrigeration in general, there's no such thing as a small leak when you stated putting in 12 ozs of r134a with dye and 30 minutes later lost cooling. That's a leak, period. Not a small one. Shine your uv light in a dark garage or at night everywhere in the engine bay with ac lines, compressor, condenser coil, drier and firewall connections where both ac lines enter fittings. Look above and below the engine carefully, including all the nooks and crannies. A cheap one led uv light may not be strong enough light to make dye glow but should with fresh dye added to a system already full of dye. Dye mixes with oil permanently. Both circulates freely throughout a system so damage anywhere will release refrigerant, oil and dye. Oil and dye marks the leak area.

No one has ever proven damage occurred to the safely hidden evaporator coil and thermal expansion valve on the firewall.

My first time use of my uv light came from parking at dusk in a Home Depot parking lot. Took less than 5 minutes to find dye spots looking down. More dye looking under the engine. At home in my garage, dye was seen coming from a high pressure hose crimp. The crimp leaked with oil and dye clearly marking where refrigerant leaked out. This hose ran between the radiator and compressor, a hiding spot not easily seen by the average person unfamiliar with ac systems in vehicles. The rubber high pressure hose is protected by an aluminum and thin cardboard corrugated insulator against heat from the radiator and compressor. The hose is crimped between two lengths of aluminum tubing. The end of the insulation and crimped hose glowed with dye. Nowhere else. A thorough inspection using a uv light is the best way for diyers to find ac leaks. A little more expensive toy can be bought too - an electronic leak detector/sniffer but not necessary with a good uv light. My uv light has four leds and barely lights up but in the dark it makes dye glow, easy to see without yellow safety lenses.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #11
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

A bit of an update

It's really odd. Since I re-charged the system with around 12oz and 1/4oz UV dye, nothing has leaked out since.

The system was running fine until we had 122F weather the other week. When the heatwave hit, the clutch wouldn't engage. I checked the pressures, they were low, indicating a low charge. So It kind of has to be a leak, somewhere.

Are there any known issues with excessive heat causing temporary leaks of some kind?

I will keep an eye on it, but its running ok so far. Cannot find anything with the UV pen either.
GinkoSolutions.com
Old 07-30-2021, 11:50 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Possible leak from service valve caps left loose. Service manuals state the caps are the primary seal. The schrader valves would leak if the caps aren't tightened with a good sealing washer or O-ring in each cap.

Are you aware that 8 ozs of refrigerant will have the same standby (ac off) pressures as a full charge of 32 ozs? when refilling with ac running, high side pressures will increase in proportion to the amount of refrigerant added to the system. Pressure changes on the high side as refrigerant is added may not be noticed during refilling procedures but does to anyone familiar with refrigeration operating pressures.

While some states this year reported temperatures hitting 130F, no one has reported vehicle ac failures, yet.

What's high side pressures at local temps?