SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
scaragon
scaragon is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Dizzy DTC Code P0327 Knock Sensor

Just bought this car for my daughter and soon after bring it home the Engine Light came on with the associated code P0327 (Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input). Any help with resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
scaragon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: DTC Code P0327 Knock Sensor

DTC P0327 Knock Sensor Circuit Low Voltage-from the How-to library on page 5 titled OBD II Powertrain Codes. Broken wire connection? This one's probably on the firewall side of the engine. Don't confuse this one with the crank position sensor behind and above the starter or the oil pressure sensor shaped like a miniature christmas tree ornament. It may jump out into your face when you crawl under the engine and find (hopefully) a loose/broken/disconnected wire(s).
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
scaragon

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks for the update. I will take a look at the sensor wires for possible solutions. The previous owner stated this happen to him and he took it Saturn Dealership and they replaced a fuse. Also he stated this light would go on and off at various times. When we drove and purchased the vehicle, it was off and now it is on. I also read about cheap gas causing this sensor to throw this code. Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The low voltage code implies related circuitry, hardware and wiring issues. Cheap gas, as in watered down or diluted with 'other' additives would result in some form of engine running problem that you haven't posted about. Stalling, hard starting, rough running, hesitation, smoking, etc.. The knock sensor's only job is to hear detonation, a microphone tuned for specific noise, that tells the PCM; the PCM retards ignition timing immediately until knock subsides and automatically advances timing again until it 'hears' knocking and repeats this cycle but overall retards spark timing below the level of detonation, reduced power that may be felt. Disconnecting the knock sensor may turn on the same code, to inform you that the PCM is deaf and wants it connected. Since its a mike, it may be monitored for minimal signal output and no signal could be interpreted as a low voltage alarm. If the engine runs fine and doesn't exhibit problems then you can take all the time in the world to check the sensor and associated wiring.
VCX NANO
Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
scaragon

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks So Much
The car is currently running just fine. Are these sensors hard to replace?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No, not at all as they are just attached to the engine and are small. Try Wolfman's gallery for some pictures for parts locations. Simple tools, socket, wrenches, etc., for removal/replacement. The part itself can be viewed online from parts places like http://rockauto.com.
VCX NANO
Old 10-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
Racemysaturn4me
Racemysaturn4me is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Happy Re: DTC Code P0327 Knock Sensor

I have been having this issue with my 1997 Saturn SC2. They've replaced the knock sensor twice and still got the check engine light with P0327 code. I thought maybe it's a gasoline issue, I may have put cheap gas. I have 87 octane which should be okay but I waited until I was down to half a tank and put in the Shell V-Power NITRO + Premium gasoline. Drove for a while and just a while ago the check engine light went off. So I'm gonna watch it and see if it stays off then it must have been a gas issue. I was using the mid grade and then went down to the regular (87 octane). Maybe that caused a problem, don't know. Now with the NITRO gas, it gave it a boost of octane. Hopefully that's all it was.
Racemysaturn4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Racemysaturn4me, although P0327 applies to virtually every vehicle having a knock sensor, sometimes the error points to something related to the error; wiring, mechanical issues, actual pinging/knock from a modified engine with raised compression, etc. The last in this list would be the knock sensor since its sole job is listening to mechanical sounds of the engine. Feeding sounds as signals to the pcm, programming filters extraneous noises to determine if the engine is detonating, the technical term for knock/ping. Detonation occurs incorrectly when combustion is the norm. Programmed to detect knock, the pcm regards ignition timing until knock goes away then immediately advances ignition timing to regain optimum performance. 87 octane is virtually used in every daily driver except for high hp engines needing premium gas to prevent knock. These engines usr higher compression to generate more power so premium gas helps but still use knock sensors to prevent engine damage.

You posted in the Ion forums when you should be posting in the S-series forums. The simple reason to post there; there are many threads about knock sensor errors. One of the reasons - the belt tensioner wears out, slackens and allows the tensioner to hit its end stop creating knocking sounds. This is detected by the knock sensor and misinterpreted by the pcm as engine knocking from detonation. The cure is to replace the belt tensioner and return to regular gas.

The easy test for a worn belt tensioner is simply pressing on the drive belt with fingers. Normal tensioners provide around 50 lbs of tension, banjo tight belting. If the belt deflects easily, either the wrong (a little longer than required) belt was used or the tensioner is worn out, losing its spring strength.