SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 11-12-2021, 11:53 PM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default the old mysterious sounds trick

hi sages - heres one ive been stumped on . a few days ago my 01 L100 has developed a noise when rolling down the road. no noise when sitting and idling. it is an intermittent soft knocking noise emanating from the right rear. suspected something had come apart in the brake drum. checked both rears and everything ok in the rear brakes. with drums off i spun the hubs suspecting bearings- no noise there , good , silent and smooth. replaced front wheel bearings a few years ago.rear springs checked and are not broken or off their mounts. nothing rolling around under the rear seat cushion or on the rear floor.nor in the trunk. all rear joints, bushings appear to be undamaged and snug. even checked those rubber grommets in the rear used as hangers for the exhaust system. shock absorbers (inside the coils) look good. had replaced them with gabriels about 8 years ago. any thoughts? thanks tons bob f
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2021, 12:56 AM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: the old mysterious sounds trick

Now the fun diagnosis begins, so it is a rolling noise. The rear hub assemblies have two rows of balls and can make no noise going straight but make noise on turns. I donít remember if your car has antilock brakes? Being a L100 probably not.
So you need to find some new asphalt and steer back and forth putting some side load on the bearings and see if the noise changes as the load changes. I chased a bad wheel bearing on a Metro years ago and also on my Lincoln Navigator. I was sure it was a front and of course it was a rear on both cars. But the Lincoln has all new bearings now and I will never wear this set out. If it sounds like the right rear start there. If the noise is still there put the right bearing on the left side. This way you only have to buy one to check both sides.
The bearings can feel fine by hand and still have some bad balls that talk with load on them.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi LW- will try what you said. noise is constant on straight away. no abs . dont know if those rear bearings are available . car has 193k all my miles and rears never replaced. will drive it and shift weight back and forth on them. (used to call that the old S curve trick. ) thanks bob f
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Luckily GM made lots of these cars even though most were sold in Europe. Rock Auto has many choices for both abs cars and those without. Either will work on your car since you donít have abs. They range in price from $40-175 plus freight to your door. Might be a little trouble to change since the nuts are on the back side of the knuckle. The hub will also be stuck in the knuckle after you get the nuts off. The backing plate is between the hub and the knuckle so it will be loose during the replacement job.
Andy
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

rfisher, there's one more option for an intermittent noise while "rolling": a weak rear strut (shock absorber, if you like). The rod inside of the strut body may be moving in a side-to-side motion (in addition to its intended vertical travel). I've forgotten which part wears out internally, but there is something there which keeps the rod moving perfectly vertical. The space created for lateral movement is actually very small so you wouldn't be able to observe it with the naked eye. In any event, once that part wears a kind of "knocking" noise presents itself. In such a case the only remedy is replacement of the strut. I've had this type of strut failure happen to me and it's not unusual.

Additionally, look closely at the strut body towards its upper rim and see if there's a residue of something liquid-like around it. If a residue is seen then you know that the strut needs replacement as that residue is oil from the strut resulting from a weakened seal. Given all of the items checked in that area my hunch is that it's a strut problem.
363K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote