SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Bleeding Brakes on ABS system: '94 SL2 HCE

My brake pedal is spongy and travels too far before any braking action begins. There are new pads on the front, and new calipers, pads, and rotors on the rear. I have bleed all four wheels and the 2 bleeders on the ABS module.

I have searched within the forums here for information, and come out even more confused. The information I found herein is contradictory.

Some say that I need a scan tool to move pistons within the ABS module, some say I don't. Some say the system is an x-system with the right-front and left-rear brakes on one leg and the left-front and right-rear on the other. AllData says it is split front brakes on one leg, rear on the other.

Some say that I should bleed the wheels in order of right-rear, left front, left-rear, right-front. Others say right-rear, left-rear, right-front, left front.

All mention that there are 2 bleeders on the ABS module; one on the front, one on the rear. My car has 2 bleeders on the front (it is factory ABS with Traction Control). Both face forward, one nearer the master cylinder, one nearer the driver's side of the car.

An example I found: to bleed the system, one document said to bleed the ABS module first. First bleed the rear bleeder, then the front bleeder. Then bleed all four wheels (order undetermined). Then bleed the ABS module's rear bleeder again. AND, this would not guarantee that there was no air in the master cylinder.

YouTube doesn't have a video for bleeding the Saturn ABS system for our S-series. It has Saturn Non-ABS, and ABS on other cars.

The local Chevy dealer wants between $130 and $160 to bleed my brakes, depending on supplies (1 hour at $110/hour)

My first question: Does anyone have a picture of the ABS module that shows the bleeders? All I can find are inadequate line drawings.

Second question: Can someone supply me with the ABS Brake Bleeding procedure from the factory service manual for my car?

Preston

IDEA/QUESTION: I'm aware that the S-series isn't the only GM vehicle that uses the ABS system with the module/actuator bolted directly to the master cylinder. Any idea what other vehicles use this system? I believe the Cobalt, Sunbird, and their derivatives may have used it, so their bleeding procedures should be the same. Anyone have one of those cars with the same type ABS?

Last edited by PrestonIII; 04-10-2021 at 12:21 PM.
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Bleeding Brakes on ABS system: '94 SL2 HCE

Before reading the rest below, consider a well worn out brake master cylinder may be the reason for low pedal. Abs does not contribute to low pedal issues. Be very leery about attempting to service abs when it's not likely the issue here and mistakenly introducing problems. Abs is invisible to everyday braking. Remember this because low brake pedal without abs activation isn't an abs issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unless anyone can point out glaring errors from alldata, my experience with alldata and Mitchell are that they're GM authorized to reproduce service manuals. That makes them the only two online providers of GM service manuals outside of GMs hard copy manuals. Including all service bulletins. I do not work in vehicle repair, associated with vehicle manufacturers, alldata or Mitchell. I'm just another diyer fortunate to have previous access to both a few years ago and impressed with their way of presenting factory service manuals. I've also had the privilege of accessing other manufacturers manuals using one or the other for a broader perspective. Hands down, both are superior to Haynes, Chilton or any other third party source. In my opinion, alldata and Mitchell are second to none.

You might consider brake systems as two parts, the basic brake system and the antilock brake system (including traction control and electronic stability control). Understanding a two part brake system, brakes before abs then brakes with abs/tc, should give anyone a better perspective on diy brake service.

The key to diy (dealer and repair shops) brake service for brakes with abs, as mentioned in service manuals, is the presumption of servicing abs brakes as if the vehicle doesn't have abs and never making brake repairs with engine running.

This presumption includes repairs to a functioning brake system free of abs error codes.

If you familiarize yourself with alldata, read the section on brakes, especially the background info as it provides key info on correct procedures to avoid mistakes that can result in inadvertently allowing air into the abs unit (in addition to air already in the brake lines, wheel cylinders and calipers. All brake flushing/bleeding procedures, abs or not, are based on brake master cylinder location. USA vehicles with steering wheel and brakes on the left side configure brake lines connected to the master cylinder. Follow alldata recommendations on brake flushing/bleeding procedures. If the brake system is divided into two separate brake system, they're described as dual diagonal or front/rear. Safety wise, a dual diagonal brake system (right front/left rear, left front/right rear) implies if one line leaks, only two brake are lost while the other diagonal brake will slow and stop a vehicle without the working brakes pulling to one side. Think about it. Brake flushing/bleeding requires starting from the farthest to the nearest tp the mc; Right rear (farthest from mc) then left front, left rear then right front. At one time, drum brakes existed so dual diagonal brake systems separated by the mc two brake pistons in tandem allows only half the brake to fail. Front discs, rear drums present braking issues as disc brakes may operate better than drums and create inadvertent wheel lockup. Diagonal disc/drum brakes may allow drum lockup. Configuring front discs, rear drums may be the alternative choice. If you are confused, you're not alone as all this was already engineered long before brakes evolved from all drums to all discs. Brake flushing or bleeding procedures are based on master cylinder location since each brake line has a distance from the mc.

If dual diagonal brake lines are configured then two separate brake systems divide the left front/right rear from the right front/left rear. Follow alldata procedures for flushing/bleeding brake lines. In normal situations, abs is never bled since it requires specific service manual procedures with or without special equipment. Do not attempt to flush/bleed abs units without specific service manual instructions. Every abs unit is effectively invisible to everyday braking where abs isn't needed but on standby. This means the abs valves are closed and brakes operate as they always do. Flushing/bleeding procedures are the same as if abs isn't installed as long as the engine remains off, ignition switch OFF. There should never be a need to flush or bleed the abs unit unless the brake system ruptured during a crash when brakes and abs were used. When abs braking occurs, the tell tale foot massage feedback is felt in the brake pedal. This means brake fluid in the abs unit automatically mixes with brake fluid in brake lines. Its invisible and occurs without any concern. Remember, abs activation occurs during extreme braking conditions like icy/wet roads, emergency stopping from speed or on dirt/gravel surfaces at speed when one or more wheels tend to lock up. Once abs activates and deactivates, abs closes off its valves and becomes invisible to the brake system. Normal braking should resume and operate normally. If service to the abs unit is necessary, follow GM, alldata or Mitchell for specific instructions. Do not follow anyone's advice unless reprints from service manuals are posted. Hearsay can result in creating a major headache with inoperable abs and air in brake lines and abs unit, rendering your brake system unsafe.

Early GM/Saturn abs units may be serviced manually without special equipment. Improvements, modifications, advancing engineering then required GMs scantool to service abs units. Not generic readers/scantools unless specific to GM/Saturns. If I recall, early S-series abs needed the abs cover removed to rotate two gears into a certain (home?) position before flushing/bleeding the abs unit at their service ports. This presumes the brake system was free of air, intact or flushed/bled prior to servicing the abs unit. Brake flushing/bleeding procedures are performed sequentially in careful order to avoid introducing air into a system whether into brake lines or abs unit.

Having an above average understanding of basic brake systems, hydraulic fundamentals and how abs/tc operates can provide a greater perspective most pay a dealer, repair or brake shop to perform. Most professionals are knowledgeable about their day to day work as they repeat the same procedures to hone their skills. Diyers not familiar with every aspect of brake systems may create problems without realizing it. The goal of every brake repair is restoring it back to 100% operation with safety in mind. A mistake can be hazardous to anyone sharing the roads we drive on.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

When replacing the rear calipers did you let the fluid in the master cylinder run out/dry/no more fluid in the master?
If so I would try pressure bleeding the entire system.

Air in the master cylinder is a pain to deal with/get out.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I had a blowout of the rear rubber line on a '93 SL2 with ABS. Hobbled it home via 5spd and p-brake, borrowed another car and got a new line. Replaced said line, bled that lone caliper and went on with my life. Didn't bother with anything else, brakes worked as good as GM's 90's era ABS ever worked.

99% sure you're overthinking things...
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I replaced all the lines in my '99 with ABS. I just bled the system with no drama.

Same for my 2000 Buick Century with ABS.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
Kaervak
Advanced Member
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

These are from my 99 factory service manual, but I don't think there would be any difference between the years. I've included the manual and pressure bleeding procedures.

Manual bleeding:
https://ibb.co/rF823H9
https://ibb.co/hDNV93j
https://ibb.co/rfQQW2K

Pressure bleeing:
https://ibb.co/4VRsV8t
https://ibb.co/GJb4wDy

It does mention using a scan tool to set the caliper pistons to their "home" position, but you should be able to do that manually without issue.
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:03 PM   #7
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

What started my problem is that I blew out a seal on my right rear caliper. And by the time I got home, the hydraulic system was dry on that particular circuit, including the master cylinder.

I bled the system out as I stated above, including the ABS module. But I did not do any actuation of the ABS module since I have no service tool. When I press the pedal, I get good braking, but with a long extended pedal travel before the braking starts. There's air in the system somewhere.

Thank you fdryer for your attempted help, but I got lost with all the theory, the repetition, and the cross-talk. For me, it didn't help.

Thank you too kaervak. Those pages will likely help me the most.

Truth is, though: I'm still at a loss. Though I will try what I can read from the pages posted by kaervak.

Thanks guys:
Preston
Old 04-13-2021, 11:40 PM   #8
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Having just read the pages provided by kaervak, I can point out that the factory service manual pages provided by him are duplicated at AllData for their service procedure for Saturn S-series.

AND, I can point out that BOTH sources say to bleed the system in THIS order:

THIS IS A TWO PERSON PROCEDURE:

You are to bleed the ABS module before doing ANY of the wheels.
Do this by bleeding the nipple on the ABS module nearest the master cylinder first (they call this the rear?), then bleed the nipple furthest from the master cylinder (they call this the front). (I don't know if front or rear refers to the wheels that they manipulate, or their placement on the actual modulator assembly.)

Then bleed the wheels in this order:
Rear Right
Rear Left
Front Right
Front Left

Then bleed the ABS module AGAIN after bleeding the wheels.
Bleed the nipple on the ABS module nearest the master cylinder first (they call this the rear?), then bleed the nipple furthest from the master cylinder (they call this the front).

It is recommended to try this twice. If this doesn't firm and raise the pedal, then a service tool is needed to manipulate piston placement in the ABS module. Then try this bleed procedure again. If there is still a problem with a low or spongy pedal, then another type bleeder procedure is to be tried, such as pressure bleeding. (This is a ONE person procedure requiring special equipment.) And do the pressure bleed in the order as stated in this post.

Preston
Old 04-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If I'm looking at the diagram right, you can prod pin's C & D (Dark Green & Orange) on the dedicated 6-wire black connector with 12v at the motor connectors.
It's unclear which is in/out but the 'default' is Orange "neg" and Drk Green "Pos".

If you have enough braking power to lock up the rear's, do a brake check on a dirt road and that should also reset the piston location.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Before all this, did it ever occur to you that your 21 yr old car with ??? miles has a worn out brake master cylinder? Review your alldata info on servicing brakes. Does it specifically state bleeding the abs first before bleeding the brake lines? While too late to debate whether or not bleeding the abs system comes first before bleeding the brake system, every Saturn service manual does not state this at all. Brake systems are always serviced first unless there's evidence pointing to abs issues. A falling brake pedal has nothing to do with the abs system because all its valves are closed to the brake system during every brake service with the engine off. This means abs isn't running or on standby. It's OFF. Abs does not affect brake bleeding or flushing procedures.

When addressing brake issues, ignoring the possibility of a well worn brake master cylinder and jumping on the abs system to see if its the cause of low pedal already put you behind the 8-ball with more confusion. Think. If the engine's off, as recommended for every brake flushing or bleeding procedure, the abs system is electrically, electronically and hydraulically off. Abs is invisible to the brake system. None of its valves are open. Brake service to replace brake pads, calipers, brake lines, master cylinder, brake wheel cylinders, drums, are all done with the engine off. Abs is off, not creating air in the system or have air within its closed abs unit. When serviced with a good brake system, a good master cylinder and nothing leaking will allow you to stand on the brake pedal with engine off without the pedal going to the floor. If the pedal goes to the floor, it's not the abs. There's a leak or worn master cylinder.

Every Saturn service manual I've come across never mentions bleeding the abs unit before bleeding the brake system. Abs is considered secondary to concerns about the brake system so every effort is made to address the primary brake system before attempting to diagnose or troubleshoot an abs problem. So far, all you've done is bleed the abs and brake system without solving the low pedal problem. You haven't addressed whether or not the master cylinder is the cause of this low pedal issue.

Every brake master cylinder has two brake positions, in tandem with two brake chambers to separate the brake system into two halves for safety. Review your alldata info for descriptions of brake master cylinders. One or both pistons or cylinder walls can wear out over time. Wear can allow brake fluid to go around the piston instead of creating hydraulic pressure.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...Every brake master cylinder has two brake pistons.....
Apologies for misspelling errors.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Fdryer: you should read the above posts more carefully. I stated in one of my posts that my problems started with a blown caliper, thus implying that I had no problem before that. Thus implying deeper that I had no problems with the master cylinder leaking or brake pedal falling.

You stated to take AllData as a best source, as it seems to take it's instructions directly from the factory service manual.

AllData AND the factory service manual BOTH indicate to bleed the ABS module FIRST. You can view the page of the factory service manual in the first photo link posted by kaervak above. Furthermore, those two sources say to bleed the ABS module AGAIN after having bled the 4 wheel positions.

Also, I point out that both those sources point out the correct way to bleed the 4 wheels are opposite the way that you said it should be.

So, not meaning to be rude, but your information and suggestions seem to be wrong in every way.

Preston

Last edited by PrestonIII; 04-16-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:45 PM   #13
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Fdryer: you should read the above posts more carefully. I stated in one of my posts that my problems started with a blown caliper, thus implying that I had no problem before that. Thus implying deeper that I had no problems with the master cylinder leaking or brake pedal falling.

You stated to take AllData as a best source, as it seems to take it's instructions directly from the factory service manual.

AllData AND the factory service manual BOTH indicate to bleed the ABS module FIRST. You can view the page of the factory service manual in the first photo link posted by kaervak above. Furthermore, those two sources say to bleed the ABS manual AGAIN after having bled the 4 wheel positions.

Also, I point out that both those sources point out the correct way to bleed the 4 wheels are opposite the way that you said it should be.

So, not meaning to be rude, but your information and suggestions seem to be wrong in every way.

Preston
Old 04-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I did read those procedures but not convinced of abs bleeding first then brakes second. Those pages start with abs bleeding procedures only. Nothing is stated or implied to perform abs bleeding procedures first before regular brake bleeding.

Where's the procedures on servicing brakes?

Unfortunately, disagreeing on which procedures comes first still leaves you with the brake pedal falling to the floor........I'll refrain from any more replies to this thread.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:48 PM   #15
PrestonIII

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

Fdryer:

It doesn't matter whether YOU are convinced of one procedure or the other. If you think you know everything, then you'll never learn anything new or better. For instance, I know multiple ways to bleed brakes, but I did NOT know how to specifically bleed the ABS system of this Saturn. I wasn't too proud to ask, and with the help of others, I am now better educated, more knowledgeable, and better equipped to bleed ABS brakes on an S-series Saturn.

What matters is that you give incorrect information about a system that is EXTREMELY important to the safety of the people in the vehicle. Done incorrectly, the brakes may not work, the car may not stop, and people may not survive a collision.

The factory service manual page is EASILY viewed in the 5 pages posted above by kaervak. In the very first page, about 3/4 of the way down denoted by the notation "IMPORTANT:", it states clearly to bleed the ABS modulator then the 4 wheel positions. In other pages on that document, it specifies exactly how to do those procedures, and even states to bleed the module AGAIN.

Preston
Old 04-16-2021, 10:24 PM   #16
Cheyne
Cheyne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyne has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

As stated above:
Orange is -
Dark Green is +

The pistons are homed, however, through the intialization process that occurs at 8mph after starting and driving the vehicle. You can hear the activation "rattle" when beginning to drive.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote