SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 04-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
1999 SW2
Default SL2 2nd Gen Routing Cables to Upper dash for radio install?

Hello,

I doubt anyone has done this, but I want to put a double din stereo that has Android Auto near the upper dash, right above the middle air vents. I run a tablet above my single din stereo and often find myself looking downward for directions or radio changes, I would like to make the entire radio higher so I don't have to look so down.

Would it be possible to route the cables, once extended, to that point through the dash? I was thinking that the cable could be routed between the middle air vent and the gauge cluster, but I am not sure if there is space under the dash for it. I was going to head to the junkyard this weekend or next to see about removing the dash, but just wanted to gauge an idea from here. I can design a 3D printable case around the double din so that it looks factory. My goal is to place it where my tablet in the photo. I should make it clear that this won't block my field of view! The photo linked is how I view the windshield when sitting in the car, there is at least an inch gap between the top of the tablet and the windshield.

Thanks for any suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14143.jpg (111.0 KB, 46 views)
'97 Saturn SL2 @ 146k (M. swapped) - In storage, awaiting an engine rebuild
'99 Saturn SW2 @ 92k (M. swapped) - Daily Driver

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: SL2 2nd Gen Routing Cables to Upper dash for radio install?

Take up the dash cover and drop the cable down to the radio, it's a straight shot to either side but the left is easier. Leave plenty of slack and then cut a proper penetration in that tray depression for the cable to connect to the screen. Mount with velcro so the screen can be easily removed and stowed in glove box or with you.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:16 AM   #3
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

A little mockup I made in Fusion 360. Hopefully can make something a bit more pretty. I can't find information on the holes for the screws, it seems to me that different manufacturers use different mounting holes.

Anyhow, just an update to show that this is still a thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn_double_din.JPG (44.3 KB, 11 views)

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 03-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Updating this thread as I don't want to start another and I finally got around to finishing it.

Originally, I wanted to install a double din on the dash that had a touchscreen built in but had no means of a 3D printer that could do the work nor could I make it metal if I wanted to, but now I can. Though I had since purchased a Dual 10 inch radio with Android Auto for a pretty good deal and wanted to do the mod.

Since the dual is separate from the entire unit, it actually makes more sense to run the unit at the original spot and have the touchscreen on the dash like the new cars do it.

I have made some test prints, they are much lower since the original screws are too short but I have made spacers for when I get new screws:
dash.jpg
dash1.jpg

The unit is offset since the hump of the gauge cluster would make it impossible for the unit to be directly center of the vents, but has been fine. I plan on making the brackets from metal at some point to make it more rigid and if I get into an accident.

I tried soldering an older DB25 cable to extend the original cable, but that didn't work too well. Instead, I ordered the correct molex igrid connectors and crimped an entirely new cable which has helped immensely.

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 03-29-2021, 10:41 PM   #5
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2
Happy Re: SL2 2nd Gen Routing Cables to Upper dash for radio install?

Did a test fitting of the radio and bracket with everything connected, apart from losing a washer in the abyss of my dash , it went very well. In addition to the screen I also modified the double din to more properly fit my radio by cutting away some of the inside material, so now it's flush.

The screen does not wobble during driving, but there is a bit of budge while touching the screen. I do plan to make these mounts from metal, so that should help.

2_dash.jpg

2_dash2.jpg

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 04-03-2021, 12:55 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nice adaptation for a heads up display. Here's my setup for my L300. Works fine and completely removable. The second snapshot is the tablet (still mounted), swiveled down. I use mine mostly for navigation. The tablet comes away for portable use tethered to my phone for hotspot wifi when not near free wifi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170429_141717.jpg (130.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170429_141849.jpg (140.1 KB, 13 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

I can't help but wonder if something that tall, blocking the driver's line-of-sight out of the car, is actually legal.

Where I live, you're not allowed to block clear vision out of the car. This is one of the reasons that cracked windshields, tall hood scoops, and big super-chargers sticking out of the hood are illegal.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That's a good question and I asked my local police at a park I visit frequently. The two officers were in their police Ford Explorer suv as they rolled slowly thru the park by the Long Island Sound Throg's Neck Bridge. They didn't offer any regulations prohibiting obstructions in the windshield. I was concerned of obstructions too but made sure placement is as low as possible to minimize blocking my view. I despise anything blocking my view out the front and use a spray bottle and squeegee to clear all windows of dirt.

Those two snapshots were made in my angled driveway with the car backed in. The view from the snapshot is misleading since you cannot see the street. You can barely see the above ground level porches across the street. The snapshot was taken lower than driver's eye level because of the large glare coming thru the windshield that day, obscuring the screen display. While it appears my tablet blocks a large portion of the windshield, it does not. Since I don't drive in Formula-1, I despise sitting low, barely seeing over the steering wheel so my sitting position is as high as I can adjust seating while leaning back for comfort with a 360 degree clear view. The tablet is mounted low to the windshield and doesn't block my view out front. I experimented with the suction cup mount next to the rear view mirror, directly in front of me on the windshield and mounted to the side window. I settled for the lowest position on the center portion of the windshield for the least amount of viewing obstruction. It works without issues. Perhaps I'll take another snapshot and post it at my eye level to show my tablet not obscuring the front view.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
jpsuli

1997 SL2
1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Nice adaptation for a heads up display. Here's my setup for my L300. Works fine and completely removable. The second snapshot is the tablet (still mounted), swiveled down. I use mine mostly for navigation. The tablet comes away for portable use tethered to my phone for hotspot wifi when not near free wifi.
Looks good! Unfortunately mine would be a pain to bring in so a permanent setup is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIII View Post
I can't help but wonder if something that tall, blocking the driver's line-of-sight out of the car, is actually legal.

Where I live, you're not allowed to block clear vision out of the car. This is one of the reasons that cracked windshields, tall hood scoops, and big super-chargers sticking out of the hood are illegal.

Preston
In my case I am tall enough where my screen won't obscure the road whether I am sitting 90 degrees to the floor or all the way back.

Of course, I did double check the laws for Minnesota, an according to 169.71 WINDSHIELD of the 2020 Minnesota Statues:
Quote:
Subdivision 1.Prohibitions generally; exceptions. (a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:
(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than:
(iv) global positioning systems or navigation systems when mounted or located near the bottommost portion of the windshield;
Which, with Android Auto, would be my GPS.

r/Saturn_Cars moderator
Old 04-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #10
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

It's cool that your state makes an exception for GPS equipment. I'm one of those nerds that drives with a late model high-end GPS on the dash of my car 24/7/365. I only take it out to get it online and update it. My Garmin GPS has voice recognition, so I almost never have to touch it. It's wired into a switched power source, so it comes on with the ignition and goes off when I shut off the engine.

Because of the popularity of high end cell phones, my "lowly" GPS isn't even a target for thieves, so it thus far has been safe just sitting in the windshield all the time. I do have an alarm system with a flashing LED poked through the dash. Sometimes I have 2 GPS's in the windshield because I have a 2nd that I carry, usually under the seat, to use when I drive one of my company's vehicles. But it sometimes ends up on my dash to be used as a digital speedometer, especially on long trips.

My GPS isn't suction cupped to the windshield. It sits on one of those bean-bag dash pads that conforms to the dash and doesn't move around. It sits so low in the windshield that I can actually see the parked passenger-side windshield wiper above the top of the GPS.

Everyone seems to want to use their cell phone for GPS, and though it has it's advantages, the actual GPS in my car doesn't rely on cell service to work. It doesn't use cellular data to download maps and locations. AND, it's not illegal to use it. In my state, if a police officer even sees you with your cell phone in your hand you get a ticket. I know of an intersection where the police set in a filling station and watch the people in their cars sitting at the stop light, looking for those to be on their cell phone. I've seen the officers walk over and tap on the driver's door glass of people tapping on their phone while sitting at the stop light! I drove on, but I assume a ticket ensued. I personally have been followed by the local city police for having been seen at an intersection with my phone in my hand as I tapped the disconnect button after a phone call. I dropped the phone in the passenger seat immediately, and the officer followed me for probably 15 blocks before turning off and going back towards where he'd been in the first place.

I love my GPS. And my cell phone too, but I've learned not to touch it while in the city.

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote