SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 01:24 AM   #1
Richard
Richard is on a distinguished road

Default Mityvac or other power brake bleeder

Bleeding my brakes has become such a pain in the arse that I am looking into getting a power brake bleeder.

I have done some research on the internet and it seems the absolute best (while still affordable) bleeder is this one:
http://www.motiveproducts.com/

It attaches directly to the master cylinder and applies pressure and more brake fluid to the entire system. The advantage here is that you don't have to worry about keeping the master cylinder full and I think this product may also help get air out of the master cylinder itself; something that regular bleeding doesn't do. This product also seems similar to what Saturn uses. I haven't found any places that sell this locally...seems to be an online only thing and I really can't wait for it to come in.

The other product I have found is by Mityvac and its just a simple vacuum pump that attaches to the bleeder screw. Its cheaper than the Motive bleeder but I'm not sure it would be as effective. This product will do double duty though - by applying vaccum to other hoses in the vehicle you can also check for vacuum leaks. I don't think this would be effective at removing air from the master cylinder. Sears may have this product and there's one nearby.

So, I'm just looking to see if anyone else has used either of these products and if so would you recommend them or alternatives?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

You can't go wrong with Mity-Vac. It's relatively inexpensive and simple, and it works. I've heard about problems using pressurized sytems in some ABS applications. The ability of brake fluid (DOT 3 or 4) to absorb water makes flushing the system a necessary three year ritual, unless you want to go through the agony of changing out brake lines that have rusted out from within.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I just have to ask WHY you are bleeding your brakes so often? The mityvac system is indeed quite adequate and easy to use, but you should only need to bleed the brakes if the system has actually been disassembled for repair or part replacement in the hydraulic part of the system. If you are have to constantly bleed teh system you have issues that need to addressed and or repaired.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 12-31-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
Richard

In the past five days or so I've probably bled the system about five times.

Here is why...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=28921
Old 01-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
Richard

Well I picked up a Mityvac at Pep Boys; mixed results so far. It seemed to work fine on the front brakes but not on the rears. I had trouble getting an 8 mm wrench and the l-shaped adapter to fit over the bleeder at the same time. I need to try it again just using the clear hose...but my damn floor jack broke last night...argh!

I also had trouble getting fluid out of the rears (probably related to the sealing problem). I'd pump the system up to 15 pounds of vacuum and I would just get air which didn't appear to be coming from the brake lines, but from air leaks in the tubing.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
dieseljack
Advanced Member
dieseljack is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard
[Bto I need to try it again just using the clear hose...but my damn floor jack broke last night...argh!

Hope you weren't under the car when the jack let go. Unless you can bench press 2400 pounds, supplementary stands should always be in place.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

for $25 i got two pairs of russell speedbleeders and bleed mine using my right foot about 3-4 times a year and flush and fill the fluid once a year. four jackstands, a clear hose and a bottle is all i need to bleed them. oh and a bottle of brake fluid. i do open track events so i've used wilwood 570, cartel 570, and ate super blue brake fluid.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 01-02-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
Richard

The jack broke while I was trying to get the car off the jack stands. Its just the mechanism that connects the lifting handle to the hydraulic cylinder of the jack...so I can't raise or lower it any more. That's what I get for buying a Wal Mart jack.

I've looked at getting Speed Bleeders but there is one problem that I can see in using them. If I'm in the car I can't see if there is air coming out that particular brake. Know what I mean? I also can't seem to find any that are the proper size. Where did you get yours?
Old 01-03-2004, 01:05 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

i got them from pep boys. s-series front and rear discs use 10mm x 1.0 part number 639560. rear drums use 7mm x 1.0 part number 639570. the russell performance webpage has saturn listed under "import cars" for some odd reason. when i did mine i pumped a bunch of times, then hopped out the car to check for air bubbles, then went back inside to resume pumping.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
Old 01-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #10
dugg67
dugg67 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

I have the Phoenix Injector. It can be used as a pressure or vacuum bleeder. Works on even the most troublesome systems.

Phoenix Injector

Mine is the Maxi-Ject version.

Also, the Vacula bleeder works well, but requires compressed air. We use this one at the shop where I work. It is super fast, complete brake fluid flush in less than 10 minutes.

VACULA DRAINMAN
Old 01-05-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard
The jack broke while I was trying to get the car off the jack stands. Its just the mechanism that connects the lifting handle to the hydraulic cylinder of the jack...so I can't raise or lower it any more. That's what I get for buying a Wal Mart jack.

I've looked at getting Speed Bleeders but there is one problem that I can see in using them. If I'm in the car I can't see if there is air coming out that particular brake. Know what I mean? I also can't seem to find any that are the proper size. Where did you get yours?
I got mine from speedbleeder.com.

Actually you can see the bubbles in the tube on the other side of the car. At least I can. I use the side view mirror for the right rear and for the front I have to get out of the car and look at the tube. I usually don't have many bubbles in the front anyway.

Wolfman, I have to disagree with you. Even a street car should have the brakes bled at least once per year and flushed every two or three. I know its not on Saturns official maintainence schedule and that officially it is a 'no maintainence' system. Considering how quickly brake fluid can 'go bad' it really does need some maintenance.

Personally I bleed my street car once per year and flush it every two or three with Valvoline synthetic. It really does make a big difference. The Race car gets Motul (great stuff) flushed once per year and bled about once a month.

Of course no discusion of brake fluid would be complete without a link to Lane's excellent page on the subject. http://www57.pair.com/lane/bfluid.htm
- Cris Thomas
https://cristhomas.com/cars/
Closed Thread