SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
Komrade
Komrade is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default 96 SL1 AT shifts late

My 1996 SL1 has been shifting late. Whether accelerating or decelerating. It seems worse on deceleration, mainly because I'm trying to come to a stop. It can kinda slam sometimes, other times it shifts relatively smoothly, just not when it should.

Any advice on what steps to take to troubleshoot it would be appreciated.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 96 SL1 AT shifts late

Has it been a long time since the trans fluid and spin-on filter were changed? Do you know, for sure, that the fluid is Dex3 and not Dex6?

Is the electrical system voltage OK, like 14-15V when the engine is running?

Check resistance of the five trans solenoids.

Use live-data to check various things: MAP, TP, ECT, VSS, TSS, TFT, gear selected, gear commanded

If no joy with any of that, then do the "fuse pull" check of trans LP; that will require a 300 psi gauge and a few common fittings.

Still no joy, then time to check the ISN and/or do air-checks of the trans clutches/servo. Both involve "digging into" the trans a bit.

If, after all that, nothing is found wrong, then it is time to throw a VB at it. Get one that has both major "Sonnax upgrades"; the Pressure Regulator and the Booster. Many vendors do not do both...

Glossary:

MAP => Manifold Absolute Pressure
TP => Throttle Position
ECT => Engine Coolant Temperature
VSS => Vehicle Speed Sensor
TSS => Turbine Speed Sensor
TFT => Trans Fluid Temperature
ISN => Input Shaft Nut
LP => Line Pressure
VB => Valve Body
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Komrade

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Has it been a long time since the trans fluid and spin-on filter were changed? Do you know, for sure, that the fluid is Dex3 and not Dex6?
I looked under the air box and the filter was coated in grease. At only 90k miles I'm guessing it's original. I could snag a flush/change (I'm not sure which is preferred) this Friday and see if that helps things. Though the fluid itself is still pinkish, doesn't smell burnt, and doesn't have signs of damage on the dipstick. Would I want Dex3 or Dex6? I guess my manual would tell me lol.

I can look into the rest soon and test it, though I'll have to learn how lol.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Dex 3 only!!!!
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

No flush, just drain and re-fill. It is an easy DIY job on this car because it has a handy drain plug. If you have to take it to a shop for fluid/filter change, try to talk them into a reduced price since the labor is so much less than nearly (all?) other cars. Be sure they use only Dex3, no matter how much they try to push the Dex6 they probably have more readily available.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
Komrade

1996 SL1

I should have mentioned that I brought up this issue on the forum before. P0706 code. It was an intermittent issue before, but only recently got worse.

I decided to follow the richpin video on adjusting the range sensor. It was a pain in the ass without a multimeter that I could clip to the sensor, but I got it as good as I can.

To my surprise, the transmission shifts better than the day I bought it. We'll see if it holds up. I'll probably hold on to the new sensor I bought (I just adjusted the old one, just to see if it would work).

I'll give the trans a fluid change just cause and hopefully I can be free of problems for at least a little while lol. Thanks for the help.