SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 10-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
crashalbert
crashalbert is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Dizzy Wanting information on sohc to dohc swap.

I'm relativity new to Saturns I have a 1997 Saturn sl1 5speed and a 1996 Saturn sl2 auto. I currently race the sl1 in a enduro division on a 3/8 asphalt circle track. I have been wanting to up the power on the car. Car handles awesome just takes forever to get up to speed 2-3 laps. I want to swap the sl2 engine into the sl1 during the winter before next season. Just would like the information for what i need to get to complete the swap properly so its not a hack job and still get the full 7k rpm before the limiter kicks in. should i source a sl2 manual trans? Do i need anther ecm or pcm? with the sl1 trans im not hitting rev limiter yet with the single cam in the straights get to about 6100 rpm in third gear. I appreciate any advice if given thanks guys!
crashalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Wanting information on sohc to dohc swap.

Spend the winter to do a Saturday job? lol

If you need the CEL off you'll have to source another PCM, otherwise enjoy the utter lack of a rev limiter with the auto pcm.

You have all the parts needed, assuming the exhaust on the SL2 isn't rusted/rotted out. It's all plug & play, bolt together no fuss. DOHC's have extra bracing for the PS pump, not really required as the same pumps are used on the SOHC's without issue (different bolt hole threading patter is the only change).

If the SL2 harness is in good shape it's faster to unplug it from the PCM, pull it through the fender into the engine bay and leave it on the engine rather than unplug all the various sensors. Can even just disconnect the battery cables from the battery and take it with the engine.

The auto can stay in the car for pulling the engine, but IMO it's easier to pull it off the engine outside of the engine bay. The 5spd has to come out with the engine.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^
what fetchitfido said.

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...dohc_swap.html

Common swap with tons of info, this is the first swap ever done, I believe, to get you started. Cars involved were first gen, but differences if any will be minor with your 2nd gens (I havent read thru it)
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:29 AM   #4
crashalbert

1997 SL1

Thank you guys for the advice i highly appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

You're welcome, let us know how the swap and next season goes

Forgot to mention, you asked about needing a new trans. The auto PCM will work fine with your SL1 manual trans (except CEL for trans codes).

But you may still want to source a different manual trans from Sx2 - take a look at gear ratios here: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...gearratio.html
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:10 AM   #6
crashalbert

1997 SL1
Dizzy Re: Wanting information on sohc to dohc swap.

Sadly i must report i have massacred the sl1 beyond reasonable repair. Was kinda of a bitter sweet night at the waterford newlondon speedbowl here in Connecticut. Wife ran the ladies race and placed 2nd and then i totally destroyed the body bending both main pillars About 2 inches on the drivers side and about 2 feet on passenger side! I walked away from this hard hit with nothing more than a couple bruises. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91BW5mFGbs a video of the destruction. Now i have to put sl1 manual into the sl2. Will be probably starting on the project this coming weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl1 slammed.jpg (210.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg interor crushed.jpg (131.8 KB, 14 views)