SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 12-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
Default Rockauto issues

Anyone else having issues with Rockauto?

A guy I built a Saturn sohc engine for needs a new starter. Ordered almost 3 weeks ago, still shows as tracking created but not shipped. He's tried and tried to go through the website to get help but has yet to be able to speak to anyone.

Highmile
'95 SL1 721k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Rockauto issues

Too bad that is happening all over these days.
Covid (think FLU) and forced workforce shutdowns AND internet sales are causing horrid delays and unthinkable delivery times...and let's not get started on what passes for "customer SERVICE" these days.

But, overall of this, there is still one ongoing blessing.
Merry CHRISTmas to all.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
Anyone else having issues with Rockauto?

A guy I built a Saturn sohc engine for needs a new starter. Ordered almost 3 weeks ago, still shows as tracking created but not shipped. He's tried and tried to go through the website to get help but has yet to be able to speak to anyone.

Highmile
'95 SL1 721k and counting
I've reached them by email before, but unfortunately I don't have the address anymore because I accidentally deleted all my email

I have not had delays, but I haven't ordered anything lately from them.... it's been a few months probably.
2000 SL2 Automatic 200,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
1999 SC2

Yes,
I have had issues with RA. Overall I can say I am satisfied . That being said when there is an issue, it is impossible to get a person on the phone. Don’t like that, however , they are reasonable with making good on wrong parts, or occasionally a defective part.
Currently I am doing a ‘72 Karmann Ghia, I bought new calipers which are beautiful and fit correctly but there are (so far) no caliper hoses which will work with the new calipers. IAP brand on both. Cannot resolve the issue.
I will continue to use rock auto but generally customer support is not that great.
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrussell View Post
they are reasonable with making good on wrong parts, or occasionally a defective part.
LMAO!

They sent me the wrong S-Series parking brake cables in the right box. Their idea of fixing it? Me pay to send it back and they'll knock another 25% off the purchase price as a restocking fee, obviously I either ordered the wrong part which isn't their problem or I'm scamming them which also isn't their problem.

They sent me some random fuel filler neck that didn't even pretend to fit the '00 Forester I was working on. Their idea of a fix? Me to pay to send it back and they'll knock another 25% off the refund as a restocking fee. It is (was? haven't checked in 4 years) the ONLY one they listed for a 2000 Forester, yet somehow...again, I'm either incompetent at ordering or scamming them.

Hope RA fails, but I guess they keep enough people happy enough that they won't.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Ricketts
Ricketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of light

2000 SC1

Can't speak for Rock Auto, but can speak for virtually every other company and website out there:

Customer service is gone - period, end of story.

Pick a website, any website. Navigate to "contact us" If you can wade through the virtual assistant bots that are only designed to get in the way to actually find pertinent information:

Pick the phone number - you will get "Due to higher than normal call volumes" yada yada

Pick the email address - they will never respond

Its all about the meta data - they can honestly report that "We have successfully solved 98% of all customer issues who have contacted us" without saying that they have made it virtually impossible to contact them in the first place, and 99% of people who try, just finally give up.

The only luck I have had has been with Amazon customer service. For other sites, the only luck I have had has been going to their social media pages to call them out - then they might respond. I think the staff responsible for customer service at most companies are of the generation that do not respond to email or phone traffic
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I have never had any type of serious problem from Rock Auto. They seem to fall all over themselves to ship the order within hours.
One time, I got greedy and bought a bunch of DOHC S-Series intake gaskets on close out. One of the boxes contained a used, broken-into-segments gasket that someone had returned to some parts store somewhere. More amusing than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
...I think the staff responsible for customer service at most companies are of the generation that do not respond to email or phone traffic
“The Unemployed Generation”
In my deepest imagination, I see China buying those companies and employing an army of communist psychologists who broadcast sub-audible happythoughts to the workforce over a ChiCom radio frequency. Notthatthere’sanythingwrongwiththat!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
JefferyC
JefferyC is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
I have never had any type of serious problem from Rock Auto. They seem to fall all over themselves to ship the order within hours.
One time, I got greedy and bought a bunch of DOHC S-Series intake gaskets on close out. One of the boxes contained a used, broken-into-segments gasket that someone had returned to some parts store somewhere. More amusing than anything.

“The Unemployed Generation”
In my deepest imagination, I see China buying those companies and employing an army of communist psychologists who broadcast sub-audible happythoughts to the workforce over a ChiCom radio frequency. Notthatthere’sanythingwrongwiththat!
Have used RA for nearly 9 years no issues.
JefferyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:48 PM   #9
alakai66
alakai66 will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

89.9% I have had trouble free issues with the company. Only a couple of times I've had to return parts because they didn't fit. Shipping kills me though so I have to be selective what I buy there.
"I find your lack of faith...disturbing!" - Darth Vader *Probably*

Last edited by alakai66; 12-23-2020 at 06:50 PM. Reason: e was at the end of "had"
alakai66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
1999 SC2

Oh yes,
When ordering multiple items to complete a job , you can really lose out on any savings by getting killed on “ships from warehouses A,B,C,&D”
Depends on how fast you need the parts. It is curious that on occasion I have ordered real early on a Monday, only to find parts at the door on Tuesday pm.
How is that even possible?
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrussell View Post
Oh yes,
When ordering multiple items to complete a job , you can really lose out on any savings by getting killed on “ships from warehouses A,B,C,&D”
Depends on how fast you need the parts. It is curious that on occasion I have ordered real early on a Monday, only to find parts at the door on Tuesday pm.
How is that even possible?
They have motivated employees in multiple warehouses Teamwork.
TrainingVideo:
https://youtu.be/xStvfbIddM0

Last edited by bumpdraft; 12-24-2020 at 02:25 PM.
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #12
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1

I ordered Monroe struts for the 07 Ion, they shipped one Monroe made by Tenneco in Tennessee and one Chinese generic one.

When I complained, they sent me another good Monroe one with no charges for product or shipping and didn't even ask for the other one back.

So I'm good.

Now that Amazon is big into auto parts, I always cross check with them, because I have Prime.

It appears to me that the locals like O'Reilly and Autozone have given up competing on price and are saying if you need something today, we can get it. I live a few miles from a big O'Reilly warehouse where you can do will call, but since I have four cars I'm rarely in a hurry for a part.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #13
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Now that Amazon is big into auto parts, I always cross check with them, because I have Prime.
I've found that with my truck, they're not carrying much anymore..... mostly just generic Chinese parts, and quite often much higher than Rockauto. My truck is 1-ton and over 20 years old now, so it could be a matter of demand diminishing enough such that they don't want to bother given automotive isn't there main focus. I really haven't checked for the Saturn.

Quote:
It appears to me that the locals like O'Reilly and Autozone have given up competing on price....
I think Advance is trying to compete with Rockauto to some degree. I've been able to use coupon codes and free shipping to do better than Rockauto on occasion..... a gas tank for instance. Rockauto wanted lots of money to ship that. I also got a great deal on a Denso fuel pump.
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 12-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #14
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
LMAO!

They sent me the wrong S-Series parking brake cables in the right box. Their idea of fixing it? Me pay to send it back and they'll knock another 25% off the purchase price as a restocking fee, obviously I either ordered the wrong part which isn't their problem or I'm scamming them which also isn't their problem.

They sent me some random fuel filler neck that didn't even pretend to fit the '00 Forester I was working on. Their idea of a fix? Me to pay to send it back and they'll knock another 25% off the refund as a restocking fee. It is (was? haven't checked in 4 years) the ONLY one they listed for a 2000 Forester, yet somehow...again, I'm either incompetent at ordering or scamming them.

Hope RA fails, but I guess they keep enough people happy enough that they won't.
I have heard similar stories about RA, and that is really unfortunate. Most online retailers I use are good at fixing their mistakes without you paying for shipping.
Turning to Amazon is not my favourite idea, but a lot of GM and other dealers list stuff there and it is generally cheaper than going to that dealer's website and paying shipping. Amazon has also helped me get quick parts for my 30+yr plus appliances, so I'll give them kudos for that. I look for listings that have free ship AND return. Of course, "free" is factored into their sell price.

Customer service in general does seem to erode every year, and I try to let the retailers know I appreciate it when I get it. And when I don't....
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #15
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

So far the only issue I had with rockauto stems from the lack of actual human contact

The junk control arms I bought I only got a refund for one of the two, couldn't find a way to contact them and TBH it wasn't worth the $25 for the trouble but I bought the MOOG control arms locally so at least I had an easy path to return them even though they cost more locally (but not $25 more)

I find myself doing this with items that have high failure rates buy them local so I can return the part 3-10x or even if its close to the RA price + shipping

I had to go on a 30 mile roundtrip to find a local parts store with a thermostat that actually had the oring seal in the box
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:33 PM   #16
454cid
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me.theuser View Post
I find myself doing this with items that have high failure rates buy them local so I can return the part 3-10x or even if its close to the RA price + shipping
I bought calipers for my truck locally partially for that reason. I've had them seize up before, but I also wanted to avoid high core charges because I didn't think I could return mine, and I didn't want to ship them any way. I was upgrading calipers so I didn't have the same thing as I was purchasing. Orielly let me return the cores I had since the core charge was the same between the two part numbers.

Quote:
I had to go on a 30 mile roundtrip to find a local parts store with a thermostat that actually had the oring seal in the box
I don't find much for my Saturn at the franchises, even when I search stores in other nearby towns.
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 12-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #17
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

My issue with Rock Auto is their habit of shipping everything from overseas using priority shipping.

I had a '92 Peugeot 505 SW8 that I ordered inner and outer tie rods for, that were to come from England. I was in no hurry, and in fact the outer end wasn't in stock, thus back ordered. They shipped the inner end priority shipping at a cost of $42 shipping and $16 for the part, fully knowing that I couldn't use it until the back-ordered part came. I called them on the phone and raised holy hell. They ended up refunding me some money on the shipping, but insisted that it was their policy to ship all off-shore located parts to the U.S.A. via priority shipping. And the 2nd part came priority shipping again.

I never bought from them again, because ALL Peugeot parts come from overseas. I found a place in New Jersey from which to get my parts. I no longer have my Peugeot due to another driver blowing through an intersection and me broadsiding her. I LOVED that car, and would buy another one in an instant! But they're getting really old now, and good ones are ridiculously expensive.

So, now I buy my Saturn parts off eBay.

Preston.
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #18
454cid
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonIII View Post
My issue with Rock Auto is their habit of shipping everything from overseas using priority shipping.
I had no idea that they had arrangements with any overseas distributors. All my stuff is GM and is US made, so I've never run into that.

I've gotten a few things replaced by Rockauto without probelms. An oil filter that was dented. They just sent a new one, and said they didn't need the old one, but to hang onto it for a bit in case someone decided they needed to see it. I also got a unit-bearing hub with a broken ABS sensor that I did need to ship back. I just got a full price credit on that since I purchased one locally. I've also done a couple of warranty exchanges.... water pump and CV shaft.

What I did have an issue with a radiator hose that wasn't trimmed correctly they removed my ability to return it after I was filling out the info online, saying that I should have done something sooner.... which is true. I waited way too long. Still, I thought the manufacturers warranty should cover it. That didn't bother me, Though.

The one that did bother me, was the Korean made Timken hub that I could feel the bearing when spun.... some clown told me via email that my method of testing the bearing didn't mean it was bad. They were fine with me returning it, but took it as though I had changed my mind, not that it was defective, so they wanted me to pay restocking and return shipping. It had been a clearance item, so I just kept it.

I've saved a ton of money, and found parts, and brands through Rockauto that I'd never be able to get locally, or pay through the nose. Just about any GM part through the local parts store is priced like it's made of gold.

I do find and buy some OEM GM parts through dealers on ebay, Though. The last one was a radiator fan, for my truck. It's an 11 blade black plastic fan instead of the really heavy 9 blade steel and aluminum fan that I had from the factory. Even an aftermarket Spectra fan is $50 through Rockauto, and I found a GM dealer out west (NM, I think) that was selling an OEM fan for something like $38. I think I paid shipping, but whatever it was it wasn't much, and I really wanted OEM.

I'm hoping the 11 blades pull more air, but also I wanted to keep the weight off of my Chinese water pump, so it lasts more than 2 years.
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 12-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #19
38TransAM
38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
1999 SL2

Rockauto bites anymore.

I use them where I have to.

Once they started being penis heads about returning their screwups on parts I expressed myself exactly how I felt about them.

Once upon a time they were great and a deal, not so much anymore.
Saturn OEM GM reman. engine NO LONGER AVAILABLE (SOLD OUT)
96 SL2 still kicking at 186k???(for sale, needs brake line)
99 HCE 63k Now at 97k and new GM reman engine, 132k
38TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #20
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

I feel like all the parts store go through the same cycle.
  1. Move in to the market
  2. Offer good quality parts, competitive prices, lifetime warranty
  3. Make a house brand
  4. Parts start coming from cheaper suppliers
  5. Balk at all the warranty returns / make extra hoops for warranty
  6. Delete customer data on old parts in hopes they didn't keep a receipt
  7. wait till the next store enters the market
  8. rinse repeat
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote