saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
gaffer511
gaffer511 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
1994 SL1
Dizzy 99 saturn SL1 transmission issues

Hello. i will explain what i have done, and then please advise me. Thank you.
This is my Daughters 99 saturn sl1 127,000 on it. I trying to help her with it, we have limited funds. It started doing the " reverse slam " a while back. She had to keep driving it to get to work. I replaced the valve body with a re-manufactured one. It seemed ok for short test drive, then lost reverse very quick. I then concluded the input shaft nut may have come loose from driving it with the slam. i did the service on the input shaft nut, it seemed to be loose. After that service it had all the gears back and working. It was shifting hard to second gear on a the first test run. i tried doing the re-learn, but had to luck with that. Then after some miles, maybe 25 or so it started to shift very nice. I gave to car back to my daughter. She called me on her way home and said it was shifting hard again off and on. In reverse also. I checked connections for any burn marks and all looks good. I checked the continuity in drive at the switch and that is good. I did not change fluid after valve body swap and input nut service. i may have gotten some little pieces of dirt in from the valve body swap. although i tried very hard to keep it all clean. It drove great for me, but seems to have a intermittent problem now. I going to change fluid and filter tomorrow and do the " Wolf Cure " after the fluid change. I will put some lucas additive in it also. Then i am going to try the " drain the TCM of memory " re-learn procedure. Then i jumping off a bridge lol. I need some advice please help! When it's shifting well, it seems really good, better than it ever was, on upshifts, and downshifts too. Thank you! gaffer. XD
gaffer511 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 99 saturn SL1 transmission issues

Let us know if the fluid/filter change helps. Hold off on the Lucas and stay off the bridge!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Hi. I did the fluid and filter change today. I did add the lucas before i saw your reply just now. It seems to be shifting fine for now. Daughter drove it home, and called and said it was doing well. She had some hard shifts when driving it to her job, before i did the fluid filter change. It took almost 5 quarts to get it in the safe range on the stick. I put in a little over 4 quarts initially, then drove it till warmed up. I checked it and it was at the bottom add mark. i added what made 4 and 3/4 quarts, and it still needed a little more to make safe range, but not full. I thought it took 4.2 with a filter, but i'm glad i got more out of it. I read sometimes the valve body will drain depending on how you drain it. I did want to mention the switch on the back, outside the valve body. There are 3 leads on this switch. 2 are plug type connectors, and one is a blade connector. There are 2 blades, but only one has a pigtail connector on it. It was very corroded, the one with the lead on it. The other appeared not to be used. The connector was very loose also. It seems that this connector is very important for proper shifting. I cleaned it up good, and made sure the connector is now tight. The reason i am telling of this, it maybe the problem if someones car is not shifting right. Thank you again. gaffer. o yes i was able to hold off the bridge for now. XD
Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

The switch i was referring to is the " Pattern Select Switch ". I have a nice Manual for this Transmission. I tried to attach the PDF file, but after loading it says " page not found ". Maybe someone can help me get this manual attached. I think the file is too large is the problem. I would like to share this transmission manual with you guys if i could. It shows how to take apart the valve body, and all the testing procedures. it shows how to completely rebuild these transmissions. If someone can arrange for me to be able to share this in zip file, or PDF please let me know. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

You probably found your problem with that single wire on the Range Selector Switch. That is the Ground wire and it is definitely important.

Re: your pdf file - you can't upload anything larger than 150 kB on this site. You could upload it to Google Drive and then provide a link . . .
https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive
Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Hi. There is a problem going on with the pattern switch. I check continuity with the shifter in Drive. I did this before because of replacing the manual valve body linkage rod. It had come off my first attempt, and fell down against the side of the gear and got messed up. So after replacing it, i did the switch check, and i had no continuity in Drive. I adjusted the switch to obtain continuity, and tightened it up. I thought all was good with it. I now notice upon re-check that the " Continuity " in Drive position sometimes is not present. I re-adjust the switch and it comes back. Then when i move the shifter to park, and back down to drive, and re-test continuity is gone sometimes. This is driving me crazy. When there is no continuity, the trans goes crazy slamming into drive and reverse and hard shifting up and down. I do not hear the solenoids engaging, when there is no continuity at the pattern switch. So could someone tell me why i am losing continuity at the pattern switch in drive? Could the switch be bad, or should i check that connector for a good ground? The funny thing is i establish continuity at the switch with the lead off. I test by going to each blade at the same time as shown in the Manual. " PATTERN SELECT SWITCH "
"To adjust the Pattern Select Switch, put the selector lever in
the D4 position. Do not start the vehicle. Place an ohm
meter onto the Pattern Select Switch as shown in Figure 29
(The terminal contacts to be used is in connector 1 shown
in Figure 27 on page 22). Rotate the switch until the ohm
meter reads continuity. Once adjusted, secure the Pattern
Select Switch. " So i do this, but i lose continuity. Please advise. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

You're not the only one going nuts trying to adjust this switch . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203541

Try OldNuc's technique here . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=3

You could have a bad switch. Most folks here recommend getting an OE unit from a JY.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Thank you. I will try this.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Anyone got a used switch they will sell me? Thank you.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

I ordered a new switch late last night. It is a GM Part # 21022303. Got it for 28.95 with free shipping, which seems like a good deal. Made in Japan switch. Seller has 9 of them left. If anyone needs one i can post the link. I sure hope it fixes my problem. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

hi. i installed the new switch late Monday. i also replaced the valve body cover gasket because i saw it was leaking. i adjusted continuity on the new switch. i shifted through the gears a few times, and checked the switch, and still had continuity. started it up moved it through the gears a few times. shifted a little hard going from neutral to drive and to reverse. fluid was a little low, added some and off for test drive. shifting was very smooth for the test run. i ran some re-learn patterns on it. drove home, backed it up no reverse problem at all. then i checked for continuity in drive just to see if it still had it. i noticed i forgot to put the switch ground wire on before i test drove it. lol. i was surprised it shifted so well without it on? i checked continuity in drive key off, and no continuity in drive dang it. i did not go any further into it as it started raining, and i got no garage to work in sry to say. so even with the new switch, it is not holding continuity adjustment. i don't know why? i inspected the connector when changing valve body cover gasket. one of the pins was not aligned with the rest. it seemed loose when i tried to straighten it. " it wiggles " i was very careful with the connector. this is a valve body someone who worked at recon did for me. installed sonnex upgrade. bored it, sleeved it all that. pressure tested and whatever else they do to them. i will know this morning if it still shifts ok. i don't know how it can, with no continuity in drive? please advise. thank you, gaffer.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer511 View Post
i don't know how it can, with no continuity in drive? please advise.
I'm pretty sure that contact is only used for positioning the switch and has nothing to do with how the tranny operates. If yours is shifting OK, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Hi. I drove the car on about a one mile trip this morning. It was shifting hard on both upshift and downshift. I was there about 30 minutes. When i left the car was shifting fine again. I drove it about 8 miles more to run some errands. It shifted fine. When i got it home, i checked continuity in drive. There was none. I re-adjusted the switch to obtain continuity. I drove it on a short trip. It drove fine. When i got back, re-checked continuity in Drive. There was none. That is how it sits. I expect after it cools down, it will shift hard again. I have no idea why it keeps losing continuity, and why the hard shifting returns after cool down? Please advise. Thank you gaffer. P.S. Someone from a Trans shop is saying he suspects a bad EPR in the valve body. Please advise. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
P.S. Someone from a Trans shop is saying he suspects a bad EPR in the valve body. Please advise. Thank you.
Are you comparing notes with Nekomimi?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203541

Are you throwing any codes?

Most rebuilders don't do all the Sonnax updates. See this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=199628&page=3
Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

i dont believe there are any codes now. i will check again. after the install and rotating switch the wrong way to achieve continuity it threw the 7032 code i think sry. it was wrong second and third gear ratios it read. i cleared those and i hope they are not back. there is a hard code for egr on this car so the light wont stay off for long. i have to fix that i know. right now i trying to get the trans corrected. someone is giving me all new solenoids for the valve body. i am picking those up on Thursday. i am not sure how to install those. i know the top comes off the valve body, and they are under it. i dont know which one goes where? i am growing weary. i dont know if i can take that cover off again for the fourth time. i am a tired old guy. lol. yes i read those threads under those links thank you. they are all nightmares to me. lol. i like old cars better. thank you for all your help.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #16
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
i am not sure how to install those. i know the top comes off the valve body, and they are under it. i dont know which one goes where?
Here's the drill on changing Solenoids. They're all the same, so feel free to mix them up . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSSj_2eHUY
Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #17
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Thank you for the link to this video.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Hello. I did not change the solenoids yet. When i start and drive this car i get some hard upshifts and downshifts at first. After a little while it usually starts shifting perfect. Sometimes i have to shut it off, then on restart it shifts just fine. Why would it shift hard, then all of a sudden its just fine? So this is a intermittent problem now, and i don't know what to do next? I need better diagnostic skills for sure. Can someone suggest what would cause this? I have to pickup the new solenoids still. I wonder if the relearn is not complete on this car. Not many miles since the valve body swap. Please advise. Thank you. gaffer.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Hello. I did not change the solenoids yet. When i start and drive this car i get some hard upshifts and downshifts at first. After a little while it usually starts shifting perfect. Sometimes i have to shut it off, then on restart it shifts just fine. Why would it shift hard, then all of a sudden its just fine? So this is a intermittent problem now, and i don't know what to do next? I need better diagnostic skills for sure. Can someone suggest what would cause this? I have to pickup the new solenoids still. I wonder if the relearn is not complete on this car. Not many miles since the valve body swap. Please advise. Thank you. gaffer.
I would suspect the LP Solenoid is getting erratic. Seems like the PCM is able to do a relearn to smooth out the shifts, but then the Line Pressure goes out of whack again. Did you check your VB Connector for any burned contacts?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
gaffer511

1999 SL
1994 SL1

Hi. Yes i checked the contacts and all looks good. The person giving me the solenoids also suggested the LP solenoid. Based on this i may as well change them all out. I may just change the LP solenoid. I will look up which one it is. Thank you. gaffer.