saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
stlmusic
stlmusic is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Replacement of bearing hub without ABS

Saturn VUE 2003 V6 - no ABS

I know a variation of this question has been posted but didn't want to hijack that thread and didn't fully understand the answers that were given. Here is the question.

My car does not have ABS yet there are wires running to the front bearing hub. (assuming the wires are for ABS and also assuming this is something the factory did on the assembly line to make installation of ABS an easier option later on down the assembly line. I'm I wrong?)

The new hub assembly I purchased does not have the wire connection because when I bought it, I said my car didn't have ABS, which is doesn't. The new hub is identical in every way except for the wires.

In another post someone said you had to put a hub back in with wires even if your car doesn't have ABS. I didn't understand the reason for this. I'm just checking to make sure that I won't mess anything up with the computer if I don't connect anything to the wire harness.

Just want to make sure before I install the new hub. I would hate to have to take it out and then try to get my money back.

Thanks.
stlmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Replacement of bearing hub without ABS

Another member was just going through this but I didn't see any outcome posted. I suggested the wheel speed sensor might be required to engage the AWD. Before installing the new hub you might want to try unplugging one of the sensors to see if that turns on some kind of fault indicator. Btw - does your non-ABS hub have a well where a sensor would go?
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
stlmusic

2003 VUE 3.0L

I didn't think about the wire possibly being used for the AWD. To answer your question, no, the new hub does not have a spot for a senor. Otherwise it's identical in every way.

Does anyone know if that wire has any effect on the AWD or is the AWD triggered by some other sensor?

Edit: I think the thread...

showthread.php?t=88306
(site won't let me post full URL since I'm a new member - just add all the saturnfans.com / forums info)

... answered my question and that the wire is not involved in the AWD.

Last edited by stlmusic; 07-29-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmusic View Post
Edit: I think the thread...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88306

... answered my question and that the wire is not involved in the AWD.
I dunno. Based on what Ritz said ("The VersaTrak system senses when the front wheels have lost traction and begin to spin faster than the rear wheels. At that point, it engages a clutch that diverts some amount of power to the rear wheels."), it sounds to me like you need those wheel speed sensors. Btw - do you have Traction Control? That would be another reason for needing the WSS.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
...it sounds to me like you need those wheel speed sensors.
CORRECTION: AWD does NOT use WSS - "Twin gerotor pumps inside a compact rear drive module automatically sense the difference between the rotational speeds of front and rear tires in low-traction conditions. Before significant slippage occurs, the pumps engage multi-plate clutches that provide drive to one or both rear wheels."

So maybe Traction Control? I would still unplug a sensor and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
stlmusic

2003 VUE 3.0L

I don't have traction control either.

Right now I have the right side completely disassembled. I had to take the steering knuckle off the car in order to remove the rub so I won't be able to drive but I might start the car up tomorrow to see if I get any warning light.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
jim147
jim147 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2008 AURA XE

I didn't sit and study it. But I went ahead and got the ABS bearing for the right front on my 2003 V6 AWD. I know it doesn't control the AWD. But it might go to the cruise control. Hydroplane is an instant kickoff of cruise.

I want to play with it one of these days. But time just hasn't allowed that.

I would suggest taking that bearing back and getting the one for ABS.

And I hope your CV splines haven't become one with the hub like mine.

jim
jim147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
stlmusic

2003 VUE 3.0L

Just spoke to a Saturn tech and they said no Saturn is pre-wired for ABS so the sensor does something. The example I was given made sense. If you run over a pothole and the tire speed and engine speed both change for 1/2 a second, the computer doesn't see a problem. If the tire speed and engine speed are different for half a second (computer needs to be able to see wheel speed) then the computer will register a mis-fire and probably place a fault code.

I guess I'm going back to the store and pay a little more money.

Yes Jim. The splines and hub were one. A gear puller, heat, penetrating oil, hammers, didn't do a thing so I took the 34mm socket and taped it to the axle nut. I then threaded the nut on so all the threads were through and went to town on it with a sledgehammer to break the bond. Took about 6 good wacks to break the bond. Then I found the hub was bonded to the steering knuckle. I had to remove that entire knuckle, mount it on a support and once again use the trusty sledge hammer to knock the part loose. It was an original part with 172,000 miles on it so I'm not surprised it was stuck.

Last edited by stlmusic; 07-29-2010 at 10:53 AM.