SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default I'll move this question about spark plugs

My 01 SC2 has 121,000 miles on it. I changed the plugs and wires(NGK) at 90,000 miles at the Saturn Dealer. The car is getting it's best gas mileage ever. Do you all think I need to change the spark plugs because they have 30,000 miles on them, or can I go a bit longer? I don't want to mess with the car because it is doing great! How often should I change the plugs? I have every 30,000 up until this point.
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: I'll move this question about spark plugs

If they are working good, leave them alone. The wires and plugs are supposed to be good for at least 100,000 miles if all else is in good order. When the gas mileage drops, change them.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If they are working good, leave them alone. The wires and plugs are supposed to be good for at least 100,000 miles if all else is in good order. When the gas mileage drops, change them.
Copper plugs should be changed every 30K. They cost about $2 a piece and maybe 20 minutes of your time to install, why would you even question it? Spend the $10 and replace them.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
DoughBoy
DoughBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Copper plugs should be changed every 30K. They cost about $2 a piece and maybe 20 minutes of your time to install, why would you even question it? Spend the $10 and replace them.
But if it ain't broke, why fix it?
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
RobsSL2
RobsSL2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Pull the plugs and take a look at them. If they are gunked up (like 2 of mine usually are), change them.

Rob
1998 SL2 daily driver : 127,000 miles and rising
RobsSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #6
bobbyrae
bobbyrae has a spectacular aura aboutbobbyrae has a spectacular aura about

1993 SL2
Dizzy Re: I'll move this question about spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

It's called preventative maintenance. You replace the plugs before they get fouled and start missing. It could be dangerous if you are in a situation where you need power and suddenly the engine starts sputtering due to bad plugs.
Bobby Rae
Alameda, CA
1993 SL2 A/T, 80k miles, 22/33/43 mpg
1982 Accord 5-speed, 303k miles, 23/32/40 mpg
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you monitor your fuel mileage and general performance you will know when its time to buy new plugs and wires. If you do not, then change them on a schedule that you like. Plugs and wires are excellent components for predictive maintenance.

For information, predictive maintenance is the refurbishment or replacement of a component based on the monitoring of its performance. Preventive maintenance is the refurbishment or replacement of a component based on a fixed schedule.

Oil changes based on mileage are preventive maintenance. And oil changes based on oil sample results are predictive maintenance.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
DoughBoy
DoughBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
It's called preventative maintenance. You replace the plugs before they get fouled and start missing. It could be dangerous if you are in a situation where you need power and suddenly the engine starts sputtering due to bad plugs.
While it is the case that over time, the chance of missing more/getting fouled can go up; the car would notice (would be thowing codes) if it was missing to the point of causing a problem. If he's monitoring his car to get MPGs and performance to this point, he'd be noticing problems, which he isn't; because of that, I disagree with the 'preventative maint' angle.
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

In agreement with the 30k change on plugs, and personally feel that most wire sets are good for 50k or so... . I can't see to find any "lifetime" wire sets - NAPA and dealers are both 1 year warranty. NAPA is 16 bucks, dealer is $35.
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Standard brand and Autolite spark plug wires should be lifetime warranty.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote