SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Steve_Vue
Steve_Vue is a jewel in the roughSteve_Vue is a jewel in the roughSteve_Vue is a jewel in the rough

Default 2003 Saturn Vue CVT Transmission swap

Hi! I'm new to this site and just bought a 2003 Saturn Vue with cylinder 2.2l motor. It also has the CVT transmission which is bad. I bought this Vue for a deal and love the room, features, and look of it. This is a project for my daughter. She will be 15 here in a couple of weeks and we are going to work on this together. I originally purchased a 2004 Malibu Classic for her that needed work. It also has the 2.2l 4 cylinder in it. I purchased a rebuilt head due to a timing chain issue and put the car back together. After driving it for only I mile I realized the bottom half of that motor was bad, so I decided to purchase another vehicle with the same motor, hence the Saturn Vue.

Now I am having second thoughts. We both like the Vue better and I really don't want to just pull the motor out of this and haul it off to the junk yard, so that's why I joined this site. I was reading quite a bit of transmission swap stories, but none seem to have all of the information I am looking for. Here is what I am thinking. Take the transmission out of the Malibu Classic and try installing it in the Vue. I know the transmission bolts right up to the motor, but what are the "pitfalls" to doing this swap? Not sure I can get a dealer to program the transmission when and if this complete and possible so there is that info.

I've been working on cars since I was 7 and now in my 40's. I am restoring a '68 Chevelle right now, but putting that on-hold to start/finish this project. I am ready for a challenge.

The only thing wrong with the 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic mechanically is the motor, so there is always the possibility of just pulling the motor out of the Vue. I would like to save the Vue if I can get some help from here.

Take care and thanks for reading!

Steve D.

2003 Saturn Vue
2004 Chevy Malibu Classic
2016 Chevy Malibu
1997 Chevy Suburban
1968 Chevy Chevelle
Steve_Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links