Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #21
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Replaced the Cabin Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtz1 View Post
sound slike this is a difficult job for the average guy, is this something I should take to the dealer if i dont have the experience?

took the glove compartment off last nite to change the filter and it looks very very diificult to change?

also how often should it be changed on the astra?
It's not difficult, just requires some patience. The old one comes out much easier than the new one goes in. Read my instructions (first post) and you shouldn't have any difficulty.

How often you change the filter depends on many things. Mine was clogged with the "cotton" from cottonwood trees, dirt, small leaf particles etc. The maintenance schedule doesn't specifically address changing the cabin air filter, but checking the engine air filter is a Maintenance II item (P 34 of the booklet titled "Astra Limited Warranty, Maintenance and Owner Assistance Information"). It's probably a good thing to check when you check the engine air filter.
Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnRaycer View Post
The maintenance schedule doesn't specifically address changing the cabin air filter,
It's on pg 36
The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #23
SaturnRaycer

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by L200Pilot View Post
It's on pg 36
Doh!!

Now that I've wiped the egg off my face, I see that the change interval is 25,000 mi. Seems like a long time considering the condition of mine in 13 months and about the same mileage. I'm not sure mine would have passed air for much longer.
Rex
2008 Astra XR
Black Sapphire

Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #24
XVAMPX
XVAMPX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just like most filters it's all relative.

If you live in a dry desert type place you may get less mileage out of your Cabin air filter than someone like me up here in Maine.

Most of what you read in manuals is recommended - not law.

I'll be changing out my oil from what Saturn uses to Amsoil's 1 year change. have to change the filter every 6mos or half oil life. recommendation from Saturn would have me doing this much more often.

kicker here is just be sure you actually DO change filters from time to time lol.
2008 Salsa Red 3dr Saturn Astra XR - Automatic Stock, but more to come...
XVAMPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
bliang
bliang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When you buy the part from the dealer, expect to pay about $28 US for it. Have the lube techs print out the instructions too. Not the best illustrations, but it really helped the first time. Believe me, when they charge you to change that filter as an extra item, they earn every penny!
I tried to purchase the pollen filter from my dealer this weekend (Galpin Saturn, Los Angeles). They told me, in absolute terms, that there is no such thing as a cabin air filter for the Astra. Can anyone post the part number?
bliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #26
vegetaarmy
vegetaarmy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Which way does the filter need to be installed? I think I might have put it in wrong. Pics anyone?

-Jess
Astra XR 5dr (Traded for 2014.5 Focus ST)
vegetaarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #27
bitz_dv
bitz_dv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetaarmy View Post
Which way does the filter need to be installed? I think I might have put it in wrong. Pics anyone?

-Jess
I didn't take any pics when I put mine in, but there are arrows on the sides of the filter (if you got the GM part) that tell you what way the air should be flowing through it (towards the back of the car) Also make sure you get your hand behind it and make sure it's all the way in and not crumpled somewhere.
I used to beat up cars, then I got a Saturn.
-Bitz
bitz_dv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #28
vegetaarmy
vegetaarmy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Thank you, I believe i did install it wrong, going out now to reverse it

-Jess
Astra XR 5dr (Traded for 2014.5 Focus ST)
vegetaarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #29
SaturnRaycer

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliang View Post
I tried to purchase the pollen filter from my dealer this weekend (Galpin Saturn, Los Angeles). They told me, in absolute terms, that there is no such thing as a cabin air filter for the Astra. Can anyone post the part number?
The part number is 13175553. This is the regular cabin air filter. I paid about $28 for it. There is also a HEPA filter available (if you or passengers have asthma or allergies, spend the extra (about $50 vs $28) for the better filter.
Rex
2008 Astra XR
Black Sapphire

Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #30
wandern
wandern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post
German engineering.

I still remember the clutch slave cylinder on the L series. Internal and expensive to fix.

Contrast the Astra CAF with my 08 Corolla.

Open glove box door.

Press release tabs to pull door down fully.

Reach inside and open filter door.

Pull out old filter.

Put in new filter.

Snap door back on

Close glove box door.

No tools.

Took longer to type than to do the job.

Now that's engineering.
My Olds Aurora had the filter easily accessible from a plastic panel above the firewall under the hood- it took less than 15 seconds to swap the filter.

The Astra filter compartment is designed so poorly that it takes 15 minutes, isn't mentioned at all in the owner's manual, and some versions of the service manual don't have it either.

I had to find a passing mention of the "cabin air filter" in a promotional brochure for the parts department to even believe it existed and order one for me...
wandern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #31
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandern View Post
My Olds Aurora had the filter easily accessible from a plastic panel above the firewall under the hood- it took less than 15 seconds to swap the filter.

The Astra filter compartment is designed so poorly that it takes 15 minutes, isn't mentioned at all in the owner's manual, and some versions of the service manual don't have it either.

I had to find a passing mention of the "cabin air filter" in a promotional brochure for the parts department to even believe it existed and order one for me...
yea the L200 had that as well, the under the hood deal.

the Astra is a pain to get too and is only a dealer item, tried Auto-Zone and Advance and nothing.
Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #32
makindue84
makindue84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What a PITA! It took me less time to R&R the glove box and heater ducts than it did to install the new filter.

Remove the glove box: 4 T-20 Torx screws and a good tug. Remove the connector for the glove box light. Small screw driver and choice words - it's in tight, but no magic/hidden releases.

Remove the under-dash panel. Piece of cake - two "body hold rivets" 1/4 turn with the screwdriver and they come right out.

Remove the passenger footwell duct. One funky T-30 torx that is tricky to get out, but goes together slick as anything. Removing the duct takes some tugging. Be sure to get it all the way on when reassembling.

Now for the fun: Remove the 3 silver colored hex head screws , ~ 5mm IIRC. At the top of the access panel are two latches, and a third at the bottom. Lift them carefully - the one closest to the firewall is hard to reach & I broke it. Wiggle the cover off and you'll see the old filter. Pull it out. You'll bend it in a couple places removing it - they're marked to bend so no big deal. Note the direction of the arrow for airflow. Carefully work the new filter into the slot. This is the time consuming part. Space is tight and the blower motor housing is in the way. It will go in with the right choice of words and a bit of patience. Don't be afraid to bend it, but make sure it goes in to the tracks top & bottom. Took me about 10 minutes to get it in and the access cover back on right.

Button everything back up. Sorry I don't have pics - time was short and my camera was hiding.

When you buy the part from the dealer, expect to pay about $28 US for it. Have the lube techs print out the instructions too. Not the best illustrations, but it really helped the first time. Believe me, when they charge you to change that filter as an extra item, they earn every penny!
Oh no! I think it is costly to pay about for 28$. It is not fair for us. I think I should change the filter on my own now.
makindue84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #33
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hey boys and Girls, im in the process of changing my 2yr old CAF and yeah, this has been the second attempt at trying to get the dam thing back in. old one goes back in fine, but the new one is being a . anywho, i just wanted to let everyone know here that i purchased my CAF off of Rock Auto.com. They have the CAF for $21.79 it is a WIX Part # 49364 just FYI.

This site has our 3 main concerned filters, Airbox, CAF, and Oil for about $43 bucks shipped to our doors. All the Filters are WIX and really great brand name. Just figured i would share that bit of info with everyone to keep from spending more money on a CAF than what the dam thing is even worth to make.

PS: The WIX Oil Filter is only $6.23, 4 bucks cheaper than buying it from the dealership, plus its a WIX...

Last edited by Lunchbox1984; 08-07-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #34
Lunchbox1984

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench Re: Replaced the Cabin Air Filter

ok, i just got back in from finally getting my CAF install, what a . I think i found a little tip on getting this beast installed. when installing the filter into the rails, when you have reached the first tear in the filter, you will need to reach into the CAF area, because sometimes the first part of the filter jumps out of the rails, thus making it not go in correctly or not at all, which is were the WORDS OF HELL come out....

So as you feed the filter in, see if you reach into the Box and you will feel that the filter had jumped the track. once you push it back into the track the rest should go in easy. once you get the second portion in, the 3rd part of the filter should go in the rest of the way easily.

This is what took the longest was trying to figure out why it would not go in, i knew that it had either jumped out of the rails or was getting hung on something. once i put my hand in there and felt around where the rails were and noticed that it had come out, i knew that was the problem the whole 1hr i had been messing with it. so, once i pushed it back into place, the rest went in with no problems.

Hope this little tip helps the rest of the Astra owners out in their replacement of the CAF a little bit easier and less Words being said.

Also, yes i do miss the easiness of the CAF on the L-series, was a great idea and wish they had thought this Astra one through a little bit more.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #35
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I did mine today. i used the $28 GM filter from mile one. I also put in the cargo mat. That was only $34 and $14 to ship it all. I didn't take pictures or write a tutorial on how to install the cargo mat. I will make one for the cargo mat just as soon as I finish the DIY for wiper fluid I'm working on.

Back on point. Here are some pictures of my filter after 11,600 miles. Note the leaf particles that got into the filter area. Nothing a shop vac couldnt handle. I took the pictures in reverse order as I put the car back together.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04527.JPG (141.0 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04528.JPG (150.2 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04529.JPG (134.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04530.JPG (142.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04531.JPG (143.6 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04532.JPG (130.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04533.JPG (156.3 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04534.JPG (149.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04535.JPG (149.1 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04536.JPG (154.8 KB, 237 views)
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #36
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Here are the rest.
Tools needed
Torx screwdrivers,
7/32 socket for the three small silver screws
screwdriver to pry off the light
patience

DROP LIGHT - A must

Pry off the bottom tab first, the gently push the cover upwards and get the two tabs on the top. not sure how i got them back on but that foam thingie guides you.

after you have the glove off and the vent tube off dont take the screw on the front - by where the vent hooks up off. that is not for the cover and is a PITA to get to.

Follow Rex's directions and read all the posts here for guidance.

Took me a little less than an hour with all the tools around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04537.JPG (142.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04538.JPG (139.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04539.JPG (148.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04540.JPG (148.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04541.JPG (144.1 KB, 153 views)
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

Last edited by Tom S2; 11-07-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #37
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
What a PITA! It took me less time to R&R the glove box and heater ducts than it did to install the new filter.

Remove the glove box: 4 T-20 Torx screws and a good tug. Remove the connector for the glove box light. Small screw driver and choice words - it's in tight, but no magic/hidden releases.

Remove the under-dash panel. Piece of cake - two "body hold rivets" 1/4 turn with the screwdriver and they come right out.

Remove the passenger footwell duct. One funky T-30 torx that is tricky to get out, but goes together slick as anything. Removing the duct takes some tugging. Be sure to get it all the way on when reassembling.

Now for the fun: Remove the 3 silver colored hex head screws , ~ 5mm IIRC. At the top of the access panel are two latches, and a third at the bottom. Lift them carefully - the one closest to the firewall is hard to reach & I broke it. Wiggle the cover off and you'll see the old filter. Pull it out. You'll bend it in a couple places removing it - they're marked to bend so no big deal. Note the direction of the arrow for airflow. Carefully work the new filter into the slot. This is the time consuming part. Space is tight and the blower motor housing is in the way. It will go in with the right choice of words and a bit of patience. Don't be afraid to bend it, but make sure it goes in to the tracks top & bottom. Took me about 10 minutes to get it in and the access cover back on right.

Button everything back up. Sorry I don't have pics - time was short and my camera was hiding.

Skip the parts in red. All you're doing is adding to the time it takes. I did this in 45 minutes, taking 15 minutes to find the tools, 10 minutes to check the fluids in the car, 5 minutes cleaning out the car, 5 minutes showing my wife the dirty filter, and 10 minutes doing actual work. It it's taking you longer than this, you should probably pay someone.

I only used this guide for a primer on replacing it. I threw about 90% of it out (I just needed to know that it was behind the glove box) and just got to work. I'm NOT a professional mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but this was a simple task that you guys don't seem fully up to the task of completing if you're complaining about it so much.
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #38
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
Skip the parts in red. All you're doing is adding to the time it takes. I did this in 45 minutes, taking 15 minutes to find the tools, 10 minutes to check the fluids in the car, 5 minutes cleaning out the car, 5 minutes showing my wife the dirty filter, and 10 minutes doing actual work. It it's taking you longer than this, you should probably pay someone.

I only used this guide for a primer on replacing it. I threw about 90% of it out (I just needed to know that it was behind the glove box) and just got to work. I'm NOT a professional mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but this was a simple task that you guys don't seem fully up to the task of completing if you're complaining about it so much.
Very helpful post. /sarcasm
2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #39
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm just speaking the truth and saving someone at 5-10 minutes when they replace theirs.
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #40
dinocoblue
dinocoblue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just finished doing this. Yes. You should absolutely skip those parts the previous poster mentioned.

Also. If you pull the filter in from the back by reaching around to the back side of the filter like the other poster mentioned... it is easy to get it in.

Took 10 minutes from start to finish (not including the fact that I had to undo the glovebox again after forgetting to hook up the light - doh!)
My other car is a jet...

http://www.cessna.com/citation/citation-x.html
dinocoblue is offline   Reply With Quote