saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
danburridge
danburridge is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default HP increase with K&N filter

Well a week prior to me trading in my 2004 ion for a 2006, i bought a K&N filter for it.

Little did I know that they changed the size of the intake between the years (2006 is thinner, less airflow?)

Just wondering the hp gain from a simple $50 K&N filter, if anyones got the specs.

Also, what would be the hp gain from a new intake thrown in? I know about turbulence with filters and such from reading the K&N information and I know that the larger the diameter, the better the airflow.

What would you recommend for a 2006 ION 2 quad coupe thats reasonably priced for the gain in power? I always thought the only thing wrong with the ion was its acceleration.
danburridge is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
placid warrior
placid warrior is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: HP increase with K&N filter

hmm...2hp and 1ft lb torque? lol...no clue man. Just a filter wont add a whole lot, but with a proper CAI system u could get a couple ponies and if u upgrade the engine it will benifit the engine allowing more power than over stock intake...but honestly, u wont get a whole lot from a filter.

yea, i'm a bit dissappointed with acceleration but a turbo with a shot of nitrous to highly reduce the lag (only at WOT)is in the cars future.
placid warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
danburridge
danburridge is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

whoah buddy, im a PC guy not a car fanatic, id prefer a 10krpm raptor hard drive over a 5k rpm max hp engine.

Thanks for the information anyways but im too casual to need aem or short ram air intakes, bore stroke ups. The only thing id do is lower it 1" because its sitting higher than my 04 did.
danburridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
elviec
elviec is on a distinguished road

none at all
elviec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
dcfatalis100
dcfatalis100 is on a distinguished road

1991 Astra XE
1991 AURA XR

-1 hp and -2 torque, becuase youll install it wrong and restrict airflow even more resulting in a loss of power.
dcfatalis100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #6
placid warrior
placid warrior is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

lol. I have a weird one for u guys, i made a sorta adaptor out of fiberglass, all it does is attach to the stock flex tube from the throttle body so i can mount my MAF sensor and then attach a cone filter to the end. For fun i made some twisted grooves (looks like a gun barrel except for instead of the grooves being inverted they are protruding), It sorta worked. The weird part is that my engine light came on and would come on even after i reset the comp. as well as effecting the way the transmission shifted (how the heck does that effect the tranny at all?) so after frustration of not being able to get rid of the engine light i put the stock filter box back on without the stupid U tube at the end, now the engine light is off and it shifts like normal (after experiencing the tight shifting i dont think i like the loose shifting except for when i'm tired). I didnt notice any power difference from the piece i made to the stock filter box without the U tube....but it does sound cool (the intake whines and sorta sounds like a turbo for some reason, gets louder with less restrictions) i think there might have been a little more low end torque but it might have been my imagination.
placid warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
madhatter256
madhatter256 is on a distinguished road

Actually a CAI, if installed properly can in fact improve fuel efficiency. My buddy gained about 10more miles per gallon when he had his K&N professionally installed.
madhatter256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 AM   #8
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

how is 10 more mpg possible... id think like 2 to 5 at very most
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:30 AM   #9
dcfatalis100

1991 Astra XE
1991 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter256
Actually a CAI, if installed properly can in fact improve fuel efficiency. My buddy gained about 10more miles per gallon when he had his K&N professionally installed.
I think this is just a filter on the stock airbox.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
elviec

Quote:

b.s

professionally installed? LOL what he cant bolt on a piece of pipe and botl on a filter?

yea 10mpg

go from 35.. to OMG 45!1!1!...

yea dude you're really fulll of it.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:39 PM   #11
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elviec
b.s

professionally installed? LOL what he cant bolt on a piece of pipe and botl on a filter?

yea 10mpg

go from 35.. to OMG 45!1!1!...

yea dude you're really fulll of it.
Holy Crap......you don't need to get on everybodies case when they make a statement. There are other factors that could have attributed to that kind of mileage increase. Maybe the person drove the car for ten years without changing the air filter. Then decided to add a CAI. At that point the car had a clean filter compared to one caked with crap. This is what? The third time you've jumped on someones back in the last couple of days. Dang dude, totally uncalled for.
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
dcfatalis100

1991 Astra XE
1991 AURA XR

I can put the intake on in 15 minutes. Its really simple. No need to be professionally installed on an ion.

As much of a dick elvis can be, hes right. <3

But then again, if the guy did not drive without chaning the intake for 10 years, maybe he should have had it profesionally installed.

I kid, i kid.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #13
madhatter256
madhatter256 is on a distinguished road

I'm an idiot for causing this lol. Sorry, lol. His car was a Neon SXT, not an Ion lol. It was a kit that goes from the throttle body down to the fender well with ports for the MASS sensor. He does a lot of highway driving, from his house to Disney, that is an hour drive. When he had the stock air intake his gas would last about a week doing regular driving, but after getting the CAI in he was able to keep driving for about a week and a half. He bought the car brand new last year and it now has 40,000 miles on it. It is an 05 model.

SO yeh, what I said earlier, cuz it was late last night, I sounded like I was full of ****, lol. Sorry!
madhatter256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #14
elviec

Quote:
I'm an idiot for causing this lol. Sorry, lol. His car was a Neon SXT, not an Ion lol. It was a kit that goes from the throttle body down to the fender well with ports for the MASS sensor. He does a lot of highway driving, from his house to Disney, that is an hour drive. When he had the stock air intake his gas would last about a week doing regular driving, but after getting the CAI in he was able to keep driving for about a week and a half. He bought the car brand new last year and it now has 40,000 miles on it. It is an 05 model.

SO yeh, what I said earlier, cuz it was late last night, I sounded like I was full of ****, lol. Sorry!

lol must of the been very dirty jesus.

but just to correct you, it;s MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor and not MASS.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Everyone with issues with elviec, please report him. I've seen him call someone a "tard" a "ricer" he has even told a cop that he "should have thrown a donut at them." This behavior is uncalled for. It is rediculous that this "kid" has demeaned and put down several people on the board and effectively destroyed the classyness and quality that this site ever had.

Thank you!
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #16
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I don't have any experience with K&N's in a Saturn but I did run one in my old truck for 3 1/2 years, and I'm currently running one in my trep for the last year or so. I can't really say I've noticed anything with the trep. Doesn't feel any faster and didn't affect the MPG's either good or bad. My old truck on the other hand, I could hear the intake get louder once I installed the K&N, so much so that it started running on the lean side. I had to adjust the fuel pressure regulator to fix it.

Not that K&N's are a waste of money, but they don't give as much performance and fuel economy gains as they claim. And somebody suggested a 10 mpg increase from a CAI. What'd the filter look like before installing the CAI because a simple intake installation won't get you anywhere near that. It takes some serious engine work to increase its efficiency that much.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #17
Sprint
Sprint is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy3501
Everyone with issues with elviec, please report him. I've seen him call someone a "tard" a "ricer" he has even told a cop that he "should have thrown a donut at them." This behavior is uncalled for. It is rediculous that this "kid" has demeaned and put down several people on the board and effectively destroyed the classyness and quality that this site ever had.

Thank you!
You are such a tard ricer.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote