SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
IoninSA
IoninSA is on a distinguished road

Default Hesitation when accelerating

I have a problem with my car which I initially thought was because of my skills (or the lack thereof) with the manual transmission. However, I am now concerned that this may be something wrong with my car.

The symptoms:

In 2nd and 3rd gear, there is an occasional and noticeable jerkiness DURING acceleration. The car is firmly in gear and the RPMs are over 2000, but the acceleration feels a little "bumpy" with slight jolts. This does not happen every time I accelerate in these gears.

My best guess right now would be that there is something clogging the fuel filter or affecting the injectors, causing this hesitation. The car has done this since I bought it.

I am taking it in to the Saturn dealership tomorrow morning to let them look at it, and to see if I need an alignment since I changed my wheels.

Any ideas?

John
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Not a clue, but at least it is reproducible and is there all the time and not one of those phantom/sporadic things. Let us know how it goes and I hope they fix it for you quick.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
IoninSA

I should add, this sensation when accelerating is slight, more like a "rough" acceleration than a jerky one. It feels like power is not being applied smoothly.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:23 PM   #4
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Are you positive that it isn't just the way you are working the transmission? Try pulling the clutch out more slowly.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:59 PM   #5
IoninSA

Would it still feel rough 5-7 secs after the shift into gear is complete, if I was pulling the clutch out too fast? This rough acceleration continues until I stop accelerating or change gears Sometimes it will go on through both second and third gear.

I have owned standards before (albeit well-used ones) and have never had this sensation from a manual transmission. Granted, that was eight years ago.

John
Old 07-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
BenJJohnson
BenJJohnson is on a distinguished road

Default Turn off traction controll!

If you spin the tires going into second, the computer thinks that the road is slippery and will force the throttle down for the next 10 second or so.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #7
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Is this with your ION or something else?
Old 07-19-2003, 08:33 AM   #8
IoninSA

This problem is with my ION 1.

John
Old 07-20-2003, 09:15 AM   #9
GIZMO
GIZMO is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hesitation when accelerating

Quote:
Originally posted by IoninSA
I have a problem with my car which I initially thought was because of my skills (or the lack thereof) with the manual transmission. However, I am now concerned that this may be something wrong with my car.

The symptoms:

In 2nd and 3rd gear, there is an occasional and noticeable jerkiness DURING acceleration. The car is firmly in gear and the RPMs are over 2000, but the acceleration feels a little "bumpy" with slight jolts. This does not happen every time I accelerate in these gears.

My best guess right now would be that there is something clogging the fuel filter or affecting the injectors, causing this hesitation. The car has done this since I bought it.

I am taking it in to the Saturn dealership tomorrow morning to let them look at it, and to see if I need an alignment since I changed my wheels.

Any ideas?

John
I have had a similar problem. The dealer has checked the ECM and nothing was found. I have felt it mostly in 3rd and 4th gears. Have you had an answer from you dealer yet.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
IoninSA

The service techs did not feel it when they test drove the car. It's unpredictable, and does not follow any pattern that I can see. It does not happen every time I drive the car.

My theories:

Fuel filter
Synchros in transmission
AC cutoff engaging slightly (It's supposed to engage only at high rpms)

I dunno. It seems to be happenening less now than when I bought the car, so maybe it will work itself out.

John
Old 07-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #11
zborgerd

I still think that it's a combination of the new transmission and you getting used to it. Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #12
IoninSA

I'm hoping you're right.

John
Old 07-20-2003, 03:33 PM   #13
Hocktooey
Hocktooey is on a distinguished road

Default acceleration Q

Does this occur with a low RPMs--like a smooth acceleration from gear to gear--or are you stepping on it a little and there is a slight hesitation when you should feel a smooth and sudden acceleration? I ask because my manual, also an Ion I, seemed especially smooth and I have found 3rd gear--so far--to be the most versatile gear--low to mid speeds. But I have not yet begun to drive hard, so I have not tested my transmission/engine at higher RPMs.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:49 PM   #14
IoninSA

This is happening at relatively low RPMs, when I am trying to ease my way through the gears. The RPMs are high enough that the shift indicator has told me to shift up, so I know I am not shifting too soon.

John
Old 07-20-2003, 07:21 PM   #15
zborgerd

Quote:
Originally posted by IoninSA
This is happening at relatively low RPMs, when I am trying to ease my way through the gears. The RPMs are high enough that the shift indicator has told me to shift up, so I know I am not shifting too soon.

John
Consider giving it a bit more gas if you are around the sub 2000 RPM range and are getting jerkiness. In some gears you have to give it just the right amount of gas.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #16
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Ya, I have experienced this, too, and I know how to make it happen.

You will notice that it only happens in higher RPMS, 3000+ and when you are not flooring it; unless you floor it once it hits 4000+ RPMS.

It feels like it is starving for gas.

My remedy? If you are running the RPMs that high and not proving the gas to support it-- SHIFT!

If you floor it from the get-go as soon as you release the clutch, the problem never occurs-- it only occurs at high RPMS with less-than-full-throttle... sorta like my opinion of the second Charlie's Angels movie.
*Drive it like you bought it.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #17
zborgerd

The shift indicators will tell you to shift too early at times, unless you are going to accellerate. If you are going to remain at a constant speed, then it may be best to keep it in the lower gear.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #18
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I'm talking about hitting 4k+ and only stepping on the gas about 1/2-way. That is definitely not too early to shift.

I have to disagree about the light thing; I usually end up shifting before the light even comes on in this vehicle, with no problems at all.

On the other hand, in the S10 I drove over the weekend, the light asked for 5th gear at 32 mph--- yeah, right!!
*Drive it like you bought it.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #19
Ski
Ski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd
The shift indicators will tell you to shift too early at times, unless you are going to accellerate. If you are going to remain at a constant speed, then it may be best to keep it in the lower gear.
The shift indicator light indicates the most fuel efficient shift point.

Eric
Old 07-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #20
IoninSA

Hi Sonata,

You pegged it! That's exactly what I have found. I guess it's just one of the ION's little foibles, not a malfunction.

John
Closed Thread