SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-31-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
veritasconnor
veritasconnor is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Attention some important questions!

i have 3 questions that are in need of answers! i own a 98 sl2 with just over 100,000 miles on it. so heres my ?'s

1) i was talking to some friends about what their cars idle at,
04' cavlier S : 400rpms
02' eclipse : 250rpms

and i was shocked because im idiling at 800 to 900rpms, is there an issue i need to worry about with my engine? and what can i do to fix it?

2) another thing i want to bring up is when i drive, 1st gear runs fine, but then during 2nd gear, i noticed and hear, that it lags a little, like half way through the gear. it almost sounds like its going to down shift (its an auto) but then it goes right into 3rd and everything else is fine from there.

3) and this one isnt as as bad... but i dont have a manual for my car, and i wanted to know if anyone else KNOWS how many watts my rear 6.5 speakers are.

as always thnx for the response! the first 2 questions are things ive just noticed... ive had the car for over a month and a half now, and im loving it, but its got just over 100,000 miles on it, and im trying to make sure my engine is in the best condition it can be in. thnx -mike
R.I.P 98 sl2 (she was traded in and retired 05/25/2006)

my pearly white car...

118,000 miles (15,000 of which were mine)
veritasconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
moonak98SL2
moonak98SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: some important questions!

Hey have no fear! Recently I purchased a used 98 SL2 with 83000 miles on it, and I was also wondering about the very same issues you are. The base idle for a 98 SL2 should be between 800 and 900 rpms. Sounds like yours is right on the money. Also, I'm not positive on all the details (maybe someone else could elaborate), but the small lag between 2nd and 3rd gear is perfectly normal. From the research I did, I found that this has something to do with the transmission engaging a mechanical connection with the engine via a torque converter. Up until this point the connection is purely fluid. This small lag represents somewhat of a "minishift" between 2nd and 3rd gear. (Sorry if my knowledge of this is a little skewed, but this slight downshift is normal).

If someone else wants to elaborate on this feel free, but in my opinion your car is perfectly normal!
moonak98SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

veritas - my 98 idles around 900 w/o AC on, which I understand is a little high. For me, replacing the ECTS & connector lowered the idle slightly, you may want to check yours if you haven't already. You can also check/clean the IAC valve and check for vacuum leaks, but I would think the idle would be higher if it was a vacuum leak.
George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
veritasconnor

1998 SL2

well its good to know im not the only one with those problems...moonak98SL2 thnx for the headsup. just little things like that can make me go crazy because
a) im 21, living on my own paying my own bills with a job that doesnt pay well
b) im going to school
and c) i spend way to much money on "less important things" than i should lol. hopefully these things arent too much of a big deal.

also moonak98SL2 do u know what the max/peak watts for the rear 6.5 speakers are? i dont have a manuel and nobody ive asked seems to know.

my pearly white car...

Old 06-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
moonak98SL2
moonak98SL2 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you're following me...they aren't problems! Your car is NORMAL! Dump all the money you want into it, nothing will change...
moonak98SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #6
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

I don't think that the Eclipse idles at 250 rpm's. I think it would stall out.
I could be wrong, but my guess is the gauge is not accurate.
Anyway, as for the speakers. What are you trying to do with the speakers?
If you are adding a new head unit, the speakers will work fine for starters. Keep in mind that you need to increase the power about 10 times to get twice the sound. So, if you have 10 watt speakers, you would need to go to 100 watt to get double the sound. So, just keep the volume to a reasonable level and you will be fine. If you are replacing the speakers, it really doesn't matter that much. Most replacement speakers will have higher wattage than the stock.

Oh, and check your oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
veritasconnor

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonak98SL2
I don't think you're following me...they aren't problems! Your car is NORMAL! Dump all the money you want into it, nothing will change...
well crap... glad to know that they arent problems then! *der* i shall commence the dumping of money into the car.

alleninpa my friends eclipse is an auto i think, he just mentioned that it was around there, but he never actually went to check it out...

im wanting to replace the stock speakers with something a bit louder. i have subs in the back, but not enough highs, ive already put in 300watt tweeters in the door, but i was just curious as to what the actual wattage was for the rears... thnx -mike

my pearly white car...

Old 06-02-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

More important than wattage is resistance. Measure the current speaker. They should be 8 ohms. Make sure the replacement speakers are the same.
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote