SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
ladyk899
ladyk899 is on a distinguished road

Mad 97' saturn sl2 won't make a sound

i have a 97' saturn sl2 that won't make a sound, i turn the key and the only thing that happens is that the dashboard lights ,the interior lights,and the radio comes on but the car won't start. somone says it might be the neutral switch does anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be? also can someone tell me where to find the neutral swich in this saturn the gear shift is in the floor, this is not a stick shift.please someone help me i'm currently with out a means of transportation because of this problem.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: 97' saturn sl2 won't make a sound

Others may be of greater help but here's a quick reply...

Have you tried starting it in both Park and Neutral? Many cars will start in either...I have sticks on my cars so I don't know for sure on Saturns.

You may want to check your battery terminals. Just remove the connections from the battery and clean them with a wire brush, steel wool, etc., and reattach to the battery. (Use caution when removing the wires from the battery.)

These would be the two easiest things to check. There are some ignition fuses that may be part of the problem but someone else who's experienced it may be of better assistance.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
JDub99SL2
Advanced Member
JDub99SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyk899
i have a 97' saturn sl2 that won't make a sound, i turn the key and the only thing that happens is that the dashboard lights ,the interior lights,and the radio comes on but the car won't start. somone says it might be the neutral switch does anyone have any other ideas as to what it could be? also can someone tell me where to find the neutral swich in this saturn the gear shift is in the floor, this is not a stick shift.please someone help me i'm currently with out a means of transportation because of this problem.
It makes no attempt to crank whatsoever?
Have you tried jump starting it?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
ladyk899
ladyk899 is on a distinguished road

yes, the terminalsare brand new as well as the battery, my husband checked all the fuses. he tried to start it in park and in neutral, someone told him it sounds like the neutral switch is gone can you tell him where to find it in this car it is an automatic.they say it gone because sometimes it gets hung up when you shift the gear down from park. please, please somebody help me get my baby going again!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyk899
yes, the terminalsare brand new as well as the battery, my husband checked all the fuses. he tried to start it in park and in neutral, someone told him it sounds like the neutral switch is gone can you tell him where to find it in this car it is an automatic.they say it gone because sometimes it gets hung up when you shift the gear down from park. please, please somebody help me get my baby going again!!!!!!!!
The Park/Neutral Position (PNP) switch is mounted on the rear driver's side of the transaxle case. You can see it by removing the left front wheel and plastic splash shield inside the fender well. It's mounted right above the left drive axle. It is mounted with two bolts, and looks like a geisha fan, with two electrical connectors coming off the passenger's side of the switch.

Be careful with removal and installation, or you might damage the internals of the switch. Proper installation requires adjustment, too, so if you can get the started, you might want to take it down to the dealer to get it fine-tuned.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

it may also be a bad starter, if you have a test light, crawl under the car and find the tiny wire (should be purple, maybe yellow) on the starter. if when the key is turned the start you don't have power there, then the switch is the most likely culprit, if you do have power, bench test the starter.
Closed Thread