SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 07-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default 2000 L300 Top Engine Noise

I don't know if I mentioned about the Top Engine Noise I have on the L300 I bought last month for $1000. I don't know if anyone here has encountered the noise before, but it's coming from, what sounds like the timing belt cover area. It sometimes does it, then not. Most of the time it does. 3.0 engine W/130K. It smokes pretty good on start-up as well. From The sound of it from a Honda V6 on YouTube, has the same similar noise that turned out to be the timing belt tensioner. I don't know if that is the issue or not, I haven't taken it to the shop to confirm anything, since there's no plates or insurance. It does sound like something rubbing on the belt cover. I'm still debating on what to do with it at this point, fix it as good as possible and sell it, or try and sell it like it is and see what happens. Funny how they don't do it before You buy them, only after you've gotten Stuck already. Sorry if I posted this one already and took up board space.
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 L300 Top Engine Noise

At 130k miles, if it wasn't revealed that the timing belt was replaced at 100k miles (a selling point if dealer/owner has documentation) then there's a good chance it wasn't replaced. When I replaced mine, my timing belt didn't show wear other than dry rot/cracking as rubber dries out. The synthetic belting keeps it from falling apart. However, one member replaced his timing belt around 146k miles as a used car. No one, GM included, can guarantee timing belts to last 50k, 100k, 150k or more miles. Engineering usually makes conservative estimates on wear and chose 100k miles (or ten years?) before recommending belt replacement. Being conservative suggests the belt can last longer as a reserve but not a wise choice. The water pump is also recommended for replacement every 100k miles because of time consuming removal of many parts to get to both so replacing them together avoids unnecessary revisiting if only one is replaced. Replacement intervals assumes normal use, not using the vehicle for commercial purposes.

Your choice to sell it as is or expect around a thousand dollars by repair shop or dealer. You may save a few hundred from an indy experienced with timing belts or chains. Savings are greater if you can diy. Timing belt, water pump and spark plugs should be done together while parts are removed.

You can shop online for timing belt, water pump and three idler pulleys as a kit with various prices. Several members have doen theirs and posted snapshots for short cuts like not buying the timing tools and simply using wire ties or nuts and bolts with large fender washers to lock the four camshafts in place before removing/replacing belt and pulleys. Search past threads.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 L300 Top Engine Noise

You list Mid West as your location. If you are in the rust bent (any where it snows and they salt the roads), I would get underneath the frontend to visually inspect the subframe. I live in NE Wisconsin, we bought our 2000 Saturn brand new. The subframe literally rotted away. I got a replacement from TX. Not one was whole in Wisconsin! If the subframe is healthy go to step two.

Step 2) I would change your timing belt if you have a hint it is bad. You don't want to wait until it fails. These V6 engines will consume themselves if the timing belt fails. You will need a timing belt tool kit and a handful of special star sockets. As long as the engine is still in "Time" a garage monkey and repair it rather easily.

Our Saturn makes a tapping noise which is rather normal. Is your noise is a scrapping noise, a ticking noise or something else? Don't ignore it. Our belt tensioner went bad and our timing belt on Bank 1 jumped a tooth. It ran like ****t, but I was able to get it repaired successfully.

I also replaced all rear brake lines, brakes/rotors, E-brake cables and a ton of other repairs. Saturn's may look nice, but they can have many ills if you live in the Rust belt! But, I keep thinking... this is the same engine as a Cadillac CTS uses with a different topend!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote