SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue

Old 12-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
Lino
Lino is on a distinguished road

Wrench 2008 Saturn Vue Problems Resolved

Iíve done a lot of research on problems and some havenít been able to be resolved but after hard work and diagnosing Iíve fixed a lot of the issues most people are or have had.

ABS AND Traction Control light on: Check your wheel speed sensors. A good $300+ code reader with advanced features will pinpoint which wheel sensor has gone bad. Once replaced, ABS and Traction Control light turned off.

Key stuck in ignition: This one required some disassembly of the center console. Once disassembled ( the trim piece with the climate controls and shifter trim) look for a thin metal flat bar switch. If you view the mechanism, a round rod hits the switch, alerting the car that the car is in park. Sometimes the flat metal bar loses its place slightly with wear and tar and does not fully engage with the round rod bar. Just slightly bend the flat metal bar switch and it will recreate the required pressure to activate the switch, allowing you to remove the key.

A/C not working and flashing 6 times. All fuses and relays read OK. Problem was low AC refrigerant. Get a can of R134a do it yourself with the gauge attached and connect to the LOW port side, usually the big tube and check the pressure. Mine was low and upon starting to refill it, the AC compressor kicked on. Now it blasts super cold.

Loud whining noise coming from one of the front tires and gets louder as you go faster. Problem in my case was the wheel bearing. Unlike other cars, the wheel bearing comes as an assembly. About $145. Some people trouble removing the old assembly as it gets fused to the hub from severe wear. I was lucky and didnít have that problem but you will have to use a hammer and also a breaker bar on the bolts.

Now for the common code I havenít been able to fix. p0340 Intake Camshaft Position Sensor. Itís been replaced and still generates the code. The only other thing it could be is either the wiring harness or the actual ECM. Since I donít have any performance issues or excessive fuel consumption, Iím leaving it alone.

Hope this helps some of you.
Lino is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2008 Saturn Vue Problems Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lino View Post
I’ve done a lot of research on problems and some haven’t been able to be resolved but after hard work and diagnosing I’ve fixed a lot of the issues most people are or have had.

ABS AND Traction Control light on: Check your wheel speed sensors. A good $300+ code reader with advanced features will pinpoint which wheel sensor has gone bad. Once replaced, ABS and Traction Control light turned off.

Key stuck in ignition: This one required some disassembly of the center console. Once disassembled ( the trim piece with the climate controls and shifter trim) look for a thin metal flat bar switch. If you view the mechanism, a round rod hits the switch, alerting the car that the car is in park. Sometimes the flat metal bar loses its place slightly with wear and tar and does not fully engage with the round rod bar. Just slightly bend the flat metal bar switch and it will recreate the required pressure to activate the switch, allowing you to remove the key.

A/C not working and flashing 6 times. All fuses and relays read OK. Problem was low AC refrigerant. Get a can of R134a do it yourself with the gauge attached and connect to the LOW port side, usually the big tube and check the pressure. Mine was low and upon starting to refill it, the AC compressor kicked on. Now it blasts super cold.

Loud whining noise coming from one of the front tires and gets louder as you go faster. Problem in my case was the wheel bearing. Unlike other cars, the wheel bearing comes as an assembly. About $145. Some people trouble removing the old assembly as it gets fused to the hub from severe wear. I was lucky and didn’t have that problem but you will have to use a hammer and also a breaker bar on the bolts.

Now for the common code I haven’t been able to fix. p0340 Intake Camshaft Position Sensor. It’s been replaced and still generates the code. The only other thing it could be is either the wiring harness or the actual ECM. Since I don’t have any performance issues or excessive fuel consumption, I’m leaving it alone.

Hope this helps some of you.
Thanks for your review of repair successes. Helpful to the forum of Vue owners. A guess is the p0340 code after the sensor replacement is...related to timing chain stretch and/or timing chain guide wear/breakage.
You don't mention what engine you have. Timing chains which get a lot of discussion relative to V6 and even 2.4L I4 are generally due to insufficient oil changes. These engines do much better on fresh oil. When oil is left to higher mileage...all engines burn some oil and if level isn't checked, running oil low and dirty, will sludge and coke oil and starve chains. They stretch because the interior rollers within the chains wear and become eccentric....like a bicycle chain and therefore grow in length and the sensor and computer sense this change in cam position throwing a code. Hope that makes sense. Big tear up btw on changing chains on a transverse V6 without dropping the engine/cradle out of the car. Can be done but huge PITA. Best to drop the engine out and if you do that, change the trans 3-5-R waveplate while you have the engine/cradle out.

PS. you are so right on common wheel bearings on these cars. They fail with surprising regularity. Apparently a poor design. I have had two replaced now...one on each side in front. I suspect a rear one is failing now...I have a minor hum in back. Maybe an aging tire though. Unclear. One of the only failures I have had on my '09 Vue Redline are two front wheel bearings. One under warranty and one I attempted myself. The car was originally in Michigan and second front wheel bearing was fused as you say. I tried everything to get it apart. Local mechanic had to use Acetylene aka big heat to break the bond. I don't have Acetylene tanks. I got all the bolts out including the 32mm big nut but couldn't break the rust bond to the knuckle....even with MAP heat and slide hammer. Local independent mechanic who is excellent was successful however and has been perfect since.

PS 2. I too successfully recharged my AC refrigerant myself as well with bottles and simple hose and gauge purchased on Amazon. Blows ice cold now. AC system...all systems have some leakage...mine lost its charge after 10 years which is pretty darn good. I am in Florida now and need my AC a lot when out driving around.

Last edited by gm7; 01-26-2021 at 07:42 AM.
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote