SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 10-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
dm669212
dm669212 has a spectacular aura aboutdm669212 has a spectacular aura aboutdm669212 has a spectacular aura about

Default LOUD clunk from Rear of car

Hoping some one can help as I am very stumped on this...

We have a 2005 Vue, 160K ish miles on it. The other day while driving home we heard the loudest CLUNK, which sounded like it came from the rear end. We were on the highway (70ish MPH) straight line driving, and the best way to describe the sound is it sounded like we hit a huge pothole in the road...
There was no whole though, and it was only a sound. There was no shaking/jolt to the car. It sounded awful, we pulled over I looked to make sure we didn't hit anything, and there were no obvious issues and then we continued home.

Today while driving home it happened again. Not quite as loud this time, it happened while coming to a stop from about 45mph. Again, it sounds like hitting a big pit hole, there is a loud, solid single CLUNK and then no other sound, no jolt to the vehicle, no change in steering or response.

It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the vehicle, if I had to say which side probably the driver side. Any suggestions on what to look for? other than this, the car runs/drive fine. The rear suspension is not squeaky or noisy.. the handling of the vehicle does not seem to have changed at all. I'm quite dumbfounded by this.

Could a strut some how be seizing? And the noise is maybe when it releases and starts working again? But if that were the case, while it is seized wouldn't the car ride rough?
dm669212 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: LOUD clunk from Rear of car

Hard to say what the issue is but best get the rear suspension and cross member checked over to ensure there is no safety concern.
My sister's Mazda had a similar problem. The ball on one of the rear stabilizer bar links popped out of its socket and would randomly make a hell of a clunk but there are many components that could make that kind of sound.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

In the back it's a regular shock, not a strut.

Do like imaddicted2u said and get it on a lift, just in case.
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Look very carefully at the control arms where they attach to the frame, these have a habit of rusting out.

Also look at the control arm links. To do an alignment there are cam bolts on these links. The bolts and nuts have a habit of breaking.

Here is an article with photos that I put on my motorhome site.

http://www.1999southwind.com/2003-sa...t-broken-bolt/

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
dm669212
dm669212 has a spectacular aura aboutdm669212 has a spectacular aura aboutdm669212 has a spectacular aura about

So we have a culprit.

Took it to our local shop and it appears to be the rear coil spring "seat" or "isolator"., The rubber seat on top of the passenger side rear spring has worn and started breaking. After

Found a video on youtube (for a different car) when searching about I totally agree, as soon as I seen the video I was like thats exactly what is is doing.

Had new struts put on about 10 months ago... I confirmed with the shop, unfortunately the only did the struts, so I ordered new isolators, for both sides and went ahead and ordered new springs as well. Will be putting them on over the weekend. Here's to hoping for a smoother and much quieter ride!
Old 10-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Who doesn't like a happy ending?
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
dm669212

Just wanted to update incase anyone else has this issue. New isolators did the trick. The top of the passenger side had broken down and if the spring would move just right would hit the bottom of the frame. Not to difficult of an install, only 3 bolts. If you need new or even MIGHT need new swap bar end links just do it at the same time as well... cause you have to unmount the hub and strut and springs for them as well.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
TJB63
TJB63 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
2008 SKY Red Line

Glad you figured it out, I just saw the post, My 02 VUE Failed inspection last week on a Broken Coil Spring, I was getting the THUNK too, But usually going over bumps. I opted to do the work myself since it's so easy, (3) bolts, got everything off Amazon.

I opted to replace the shocks too, since that was 1 of the 3 bolts needed to access the coil springs, Once I got into it, I found BOTH my Coil springs were busted, The odd thing was, a set of 4 isolator pads cost more than the springs themselves, Go figure. All in all to do both sides took about 1 1/2 hours, I have no idea what a shop would charge, But DIY was about $180 for new Springs/Shocks and Isolator pads.

We'll see how I did, it's actually being re-inspected as I type this, But the Thunking was gone when driving it, I think next spring I may tackle the front struts, getting a banging up front going over bumps, not as bad as the rear springs though.

Good Luck.
TJB63 is offline   Reply With Quote