SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
bromli
bromli is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Power Window Weirdness

A few weeks back I had the driver side rear power window fail to roll up or down. Of course, this was only after I rolled it down a few inches and only the night before it rained . I was able to cover it up and the morning after it rained, the window worked but just barely. Through repeated pressing of the button it inched its way up all the way closed. Whatever, it's gotta be the switch, right? Nope, its not the rear switch thats bad or the front switch that is bad. Swapping the rear switches didn't fix the issue and a used switch from a salvage yard didn't fix the issue. Fine, maybe it's the window regulator, I don't care. I'll just leave it closed and continue on with my day.

Well, now I do care, because recently that window has started working again. Both the rear and front switches seem to work to actuate the window both up and down. I have no idea what changed in that time, but it seems this window is now working. I haven't touched anything in a few weeks, and even that door hasn't been closed or open in ways that would agitate the wiring in that door.

Now here is a brain teaser for you guys: what exactly is going on here? What could be the cause of this intermittent window problem?
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Power Window Weirdness

Process of elimination. Swapping out window switches ruled them out, leaving wiring, circuitry, bcm and window motor and mechanism. Plastic rollers in linkages can wear down and lubing with lithium grease can prolong power windows. Some members find the wiring damaged from flexing where the door hinges. Troubleshooting this part of the wire harness may be an exercise in disassembling things to open up the wire harness. A break in wires hidden by insulation can be very difficult to find.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I would say wiring problem as Fdryer has mentioned. a break in the wire that can not be seem easily. I have a strange problem of when I roll my passenger side front window down my radio cuts out until you put it back up about two inches.
Also may be brushes in electric motor got damp then dried out letting it work properly.
https://www.infowars.com/ The answer to 1984 is 1776. We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic. A Democracy is Two Wolfs and a sheep deciding what is for Lunch!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have pasted a link (the first one) that relates to a guy with a REAR Drivers side window that stopped working. He was convinced it was a broken wire and was proved correct. However, as you will see from the video his work at finding the broken link took to removing large parts of the trim, etc.

What may be easier is to gain access to the wiring harness that connects to the window motor on that rear door and check with a multimeter for continuity of power. If the wiring is broken at the corner, then checking power while the door is being moved open/shut may confirm that it is wiring and not the mechanism.

I have also pasted two videos which cover the power window on the front and rear of the L series. Note that the mechanism design of the front door is completely different to the rear door. The font door works via the motor with a worm gear at the end which turns a plastic gear wheel. On the same axle as the plastic gear wheel is a metal gear wheel which moves the metal ratchet mechanism backwards and forward/up/down. The rear door mechanism works via cables which are held taught and are rotated backwards and forwards to give the up/down motion. Sometimes these cables, being spliced cable can unravel causing stoppages.

I just replaced the drivers door mechanism on my son's 2003 L300. It was working fine then suddenly stopped. We did the usual of checking the switch and power and that was OK. Once we knkew it was in the door where the problem lay, I bit the bullet and ordered a new mechanism and motor form Rock Auto for $63.00. Installing it was a bit fiddly, but we got there in the end. It was the motor that had died. Had I have had more time, I might have removed the mechanism, discovered it was the motor, then just ordered a new motor for $23.00, but hey ho. My son, like most does not want to wait.

The 2nd set of links are to a guy who does BOTH front and rear doors on the Saturn L series, so are good information points. Hope they help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaw0fMMyeEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeXopmcxg-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=462RrZoRfOE
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My mother also bought a 2000 LS2 L300 3.0L Saturn and within the first 8 years, I replaced one of the window motor assembly because it stopped working.

Around 2004, her sub-frame let go and she junked the vehicle before I had a chance to part it out to maintain our Saturn.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:06 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Several years ago I had the same issue with the same window, rear driver side. I rolled the window down, but it wouldn't roll up. When that happened I tried to pull it up and was able to. I then pressed the switch to move the regulator up and it did so pressing the window in place. After removing the interior door trim I found that the roller attached to the base of the window had somehow become dislodged from the regulator track.

After resetting the roller in the track all worked well. Strangely, about a year later the same thing happened again. While I don't recall doing anything differently with reinstalling the roller into the track for a second time, this issue hasn't arisen since then. My hunch is that you won't be certain what you're dealing with until you see what's happening inside of the door with the operation of the window.
356K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote