SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagrams)

2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagrams)

This first post will contain pictures of my timing belt front cover and it's oil contaminated/compromised state.

I am hoping to determine the following from this thread.

1) Does anybody have actual photos of what I am looking at and the inside of the cover?

2) Does the cover protect the timing belt from even oil spills into the holes that I have circled in my pictures where oil have contaminated and possibly compromised the state of my timing belt?

3) The FSM shows the cover; I just do not see any "divider" that would protect like a tray on the top of the timing belt front cover; so that oil doesn't leak/drain into the timing belt system.

4) If there isn't a cover that protects it and my timing belt insides are oil filled. Then I must fix all of this before diving into a head gasket replacement in my opinion otherwise I do not feel it's worth moving forward with to secure my block.

The remainder posts are the Factory Service Manual pages for this part of the engine.

Any pointers would be helpful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_cropped_20200530_164425.jpg (210.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2_cropped_20200530_164443.jpg (219.6 KB, 10 views)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
BrandonKastning is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the roughBrandonKastning is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagr

FSM Gallery 1/3: Timing Belt Cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSM_1_20200530_175223.jpg (206.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_2_20200530_175230.jpg (206.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_3_20200530_175304.jpg (206.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_4_20200530_175311.jpg (205.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_5_20200530_175449.jpg (205.7 KB, 1 views)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 (KJV)
Old 05-30-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagr

FSM Gallery 2/3: Timing Belt Cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSM_6_20200530_175458.jpg (207.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_7_20200530_175507.jpg (205.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_8_20200530_175518.jpg (204.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_9_20200530_175528.jpg (201.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_10_20200530_175538.jpg (206.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

FSM Gallery 3/3: Timing Belt Cover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSM_11_20200530_175548.jpg (205.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg FSM_12_20200530_175602.jpg (69.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagr

1st post/1st snapshot - two piece plastic covers for the cam position sensors wiring. Compare this snapshot to last post/1st snapshot/bottom page drawing. The two piece covers are meant to encase the small wires from damage, nothing more. Oil, dirt, grease, water and debris can enter but will not harm wiring. Holes underneath may provide a drain path. The red circled areas are showing the snap together tabs and other (vent?) holes.

1st post/2nd snapshot - power steering pump. The red circled area is a fitting. Oil and dirt covering the pump is from an unknown source.

The timing belt/camshaft cover is directly behind this convoluted harness cover. If the timing belt cover isn't damaged, it shields the timing belt against fluids, dirt and grime. A seal around the cover prevents fluid intrusion. Everyone performing their own timing belt replacement, including me (@100k mile intervals) and posted snapshots have never seen fluids enter past the cover.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
1st post/1st snapshot - two piece plastic covers for the cam position sensors wiring. Compare this snapshot to last post/1st snapshot/bottom page drawing. The two piece covers are meant to encase the small wires from damage, nothing more. Oil, dirt, grease, water and debris can enter but will not harm wiring. Holes underneath may provide a drain path. The red circled areas are showing the snap together tabs and other (vent?) holes.
Is this an easy piece to remove? Mounting bolts are required to be removed?

Quote:
1st post/2nd snapshot - power steering pump. The red circled area is a fitting. Oil and dirt covering the pump is from an unknown source.
Thank you for letting me know what that is! That will be helpful in finding the best method for me to clean it up.

Quote:
The timing belt/camshaft cover is directly behind this convoluted harness cover. If the timing belt cover isn't damaged, it shields the timing belt against fluids, dirt and grime. A seal around the cover prevents fluid intrusion. Everyone performing their own timing belt replacement, including me (@100k mile intervals) and posted snapshots have never seen fluids enter past the cover.
I was reading one of your timing belt threads and I didn't see screen shots. Perhaps you have more than one thread in regards to your job you did last year. If I recall it was November / 2019 ? Not understanding what a timing belt does; it read like it's absolutely critical to perform properly without ruining your engine. I also read that you utilized a different tool rather than a kit.

I feel since oil has been everywhere it would be wise to look. Are there any dangers or concerns that I should note ahead of time before opening up the protective case to check to make sure the timing belt cover is in good condition?

Thank you for the response fdryer!

~ Brandon
Old 05-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagr

As I stated in that thread, other members already posted snapshots of their timing belt procedures like;

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...lt+replacement

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114197 (excellent thread)

I used 'L300 Timing belt replacement' in the advanced search feature and scrolled thru the list, concentrating on titles using 'timing belt' and a paperclip symbol to the far right of each titled thread to indicate snapshots or drawings.

It's apparent to some of us that you're not familiar with engine configurations. There are two configurations related to the mechanical portions of 4-stroke engines; gear or timing belt driven camshafts. Ferrari and many other engine manufacturers use gear driven camshafts for relatively trouble free engine operation. In lieu of gears, engines like our L300s use one timing belt. They're life limited to 100k miles when it's recommended to replace it. One member allowed his engine to surpass (around) 145k miles before replacing it. Not replacing it as recommended is gambling on it falling apart resulting in immediate damage to the engine. Whether gear or belt driven, camshafts must be mechanically synched between crankshaft and camshafts otherwise pistons crash into valves instantly while it's running. Catastrophic damage. Basic mechanical skills are needed to follow service manual procedures and not for the faint hearted as this is advanced repairs not recommended for the average diyer unfamiliar with engine timing basics. Service manuals are written for dealer mechanics already familiar with repairs, not for diyers without knowledge. Special tools are needed while advanced diyers came up with several ideas to lock camshafts in place without these tools.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
BrandonKastning

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: 2001 Saturn L300 - v6 3.0 Liter - Timing Belt Front Cover (Questions w/ FSM Diagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
As I stated in that thread, other members already posted snapshots of their timing belt procedures like;

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...lt+replacement

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114197 (excellent thread)

I used 'L300 Timing belt replacement' in the advanced search feature and scrolled thru the list, concentrating on titles using 'timing belt' and a paperclip symbol to the far right of each titled thread to indicate snapshots or drawings.

It's apparent to some of us that you're not familiar with engine configurations. There are two configurations related to the mechanical portions of 4-stroke engines; gear or timing belt driven camshafts. Ferrari and many other engine manufacturers use gear driven camshafts for relatively trouble free engine operation. In lieu of gears, engines like our L300s use one timing belt. They're life limited to 100k miles when it's recommended to replace it. One member allowed his engine to surpass (around) 145k miles before replacing it. Not replacing it as recommended is gambling on it falling apart resulting in immediate damage to the engine. Whether gear or belt driven, camshafts must be mechanically synched between crankshaft and camshafts otherwise pistons crash into valves instantly while it's running. Catastrophic damage. Basic mechanical skills are needed to follow service manual procedures and not for the faint hearted as this is advanced repairs not recommended for the average diyer unfamiliar with engine timing basics. Service manuals are written for dealer mechanics already familiar with repairs, not for diyers without knowledge. Special tools are needed while advanced diyers came up with several ideas to lock camshafts in place without these tools.
fdryer,

Thank you for the kind education and the links to the excellent thread to learn more! Much obliged!