SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 07-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
MoneyTrell
MoneyTrell is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Need some help with P0430

Hey I have been getting the code P0430 I have cleared the code a couple times too see if it comes back and it does in about a day or so. I have the 3.6 with about 230k miles on the car. I was thinking it could of been the spark plug misfiring but when i did some research and looked at the plugs they dont look too bad.
I am kind of thinking it is the o2 sensors because i notice a lot of carbon build up on the tail pipes. I am hoping i do not have to replace my catalytic converter because they are expensive. I am wondering do you think if i replace my o2 sensor will this remove this code? I only get this code no other code. What do you guys think it could be?

The P0430 code is ( Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
MoneyTrell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need some help with P0430

Update your profile so no one has to ask year, model, engine size.

With 230k miles, spark plugs should have been replaced twice, Once every 100k miles. Were they?

230k miles is way past factory warranty and no one expects catalytic converters to last forever. Since P0430 implies;
  1. Sensor or solenoid faulty
  2. Connector terminal contact is damaged or corroded
  3. Wire harness - Check harness for correct voltage, open, short to ground or short to voltage
  4. Update control unit software - Check for the latest control unit update
  5. Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty
  6. HO2S sensor contamination/damaged
  7. Exhaust leaks or restrictions
  8. Catalytic converter damage
  9. Catalytic converter improper operation
You can try replacing the rear O2 sensor first and see if the error code goes away on its own. Refrain from resetting error codes as this erases all learned emissions parameters, forcing the entire emissions self tests to start from the beginning. When close to state inspection, this may fail inspection; emissions self tests are performed at every engine start up, driving, and shutdown - the reason the check engine light stays off until something causes an emissions error. Once an error pops up, diagnosing and repairing the problem usually allows the OBD II system to detect the repair automatically and turn off the check engine light on the next start up. Sometimes up to three engine cycles are needed to ensure the error was repaired. State inspection will see when anyone manually resets the engine computer; the readiness monitors (seen on most readers) are all reset and the emissions self tests are performed as the car is driven (a minimum of 50 miles or several days of varied driving) before these monitors pass. Resetting error codes simply forces restarting these tests. At state inspection requiring emissions tests, this car would fail immediately. They see the same info a reader displays.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

I will update my information. You think it could be my o2 sensor because I think the spark plug has been changed because I bought the car used. Not sure though. I notice a lot of black carbon build up on tail pipe though. Could the o2 sense cause this code to pop up?

In my county you do not need emissions to get your tag.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The P0430 DTC is pointing to the rear O2 sensor reading a worn out catcon. It serves only one purpose, measuring catcon efficiency so the cheapest suggestion is the sensor first. In your case, members have used spacers on the sensor to trick it into reading better to turn off the CEL.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

Okay. I will check out the rear o2. When you say they use spacers what do you mean by that?

The car runs good just the code keeps coming up and it's annoying to see the CEL on
Old 07-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Google O2 spacers for info..........it may be the cheapest fix compared to replacing the sensor or catcon (gutting it if necessary).
Old 07-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

Alright I will Google that. If that doesn't work do I need a new rear cat or can they be unclogged?
Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In your state omitting emissions inspection, if it becomes necessary, its your conscience to either replace a worn catcon or gut it and run hollow. A "test" pipe eliminates the catcon altogether too. Your choice. Once a catcon is gutted/test pipe installed, the rear O2 sensor may not read exhaust correctly and still turn on the cel. I don't know the exact answer to that but members have run empty catcons (in other models) without issues. I present all the possibilities so you have choices as well as possible consequences of actions not foreseen when altering emissions components.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
MoneyTrell

2007 AURA XR

I will try the o2 sensor first and if a fails I might just gut or replace the rear cat. They are only a 100+