SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
TravelerL300
TravelerL300 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default 2001 Saturn L300 Rear Brake Calipers - Phenolic or Metal?

I am going to replace brake pads, rotors, calipers and brake hardware on my 2001 L300 this weekend. When I go to purchase calipers, I find that two different kinds are offered. There is the caliper with phenolic (non-metallic) pistons and the one with metal pistons.

Since I purchased this car used, I don't know which type was the original equipment. I would like to use original equipment products. So far, I bought Wagner semi-metallic pads and Wagner rotors.

Which calipers were original equipment for this car? Thanks for the help.
TravelerL300 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Saturn L300 Rear Brake Calipers - Phenolic or Metal?

Good question!? I didn't know there were two materials used for pistons. I do not know which is original. One site's info does explain it;

Are steel pistons better than phenolic, which are plastic?

Phenolic pistons have an advantage over steel pistons;
  • Phenolic pistons do not rust
  • Phenolic pistons maintain original size regardless of age. They are not affected by heat or moisture in the brake system
  • Phenolic pistons do not transfer heat to the brake fluid
  • Phenolic pistons are lighter than steel
  • Phenolic pistons are fuel efficient and noise dampening
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerL300 View Post
I am going to replace brake pads, rotors, calipers and brake hardware on my 2001 L300 this weekend.
I've used Wagner's Thermoquiet line of pads twice on my car and am very happy with them. I would recommend against using their price line set of pads (QuickStop, or ProSolution). What has happened to the calipers which warrants their replacement?
356K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The OEM calipers have steel pistons, but that doesn't mean you have to stay with steel, and the phenolic pistons seem to offer some advantages.
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
TravelerL300

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks for all responses.

The car is in very good condition but it sat for a long time before I bought it. The piston seals are cracked and one of the bushings popped out when I removed the caliper. I would just rebuild the caliper but for a few more dollars, I prefer to just put everything back new.

S3, how did you confirm the OE piston caliper material? I couldn't find this info anywhere.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really nice

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I go with the 'if it's cheap then it's on our cars' rule. So figure out the price of Phen Vs Steel and you'll have your answer!

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ ^ ^ ^...........
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

Happy someone questioned this. I was never able to figure it out the why and what of it all, but after seeing some advantages, I think I know what I will go with the time comes to change... and it may be soon
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
TravelerL300

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, I ended up buying the calipers with phenolic pistons. I believe that phenolic was the original material but I'm not sure. I called a Chevrolet dealer, gave him my VIN and asked the question. He said that he had no way to confirm. All he could do was quote me a price of $360 each with a delivery time of five days! Mercy!!

I like to buy my parts at O'Reilly Auto and I paid $59.99 each with a $25 refundable core charge and lifetime warranty. They say I can wear the parts out over the next several years and return them for free replacements. I don't even need to keep my receipt because they have my name and phone number on file. I'm keeping my receipts any way.

The metal piston calipers were $69.99 for the left rear and $82.99 for the right rear. That's the Saab/Saturn asymetrical design. The phenolics cost a bit less money but it's not enough to break the deal when it comes to something as important as brakes. Every other vehicle I have owned were full sized cars and trucks and they had metal caliper pistons. Being built for fuel efficiency and light weight, I think the Saturn probably came with phenolic brake caliper pistons.

The other reason I think so is because the metal versions were special order at most stores I checked while the phenolics were in stock.

Another reason is that I found that Wagner and Bosch were the OE supplier of brake systems to this car. Wagner offers only the phenolic version in a loaded caliper, that is, a caliper with brake pads pre-installed.

Alas, I will install the phenolic units, the only difference being the piston material. The iron casting and seals are the same in each case. I might see some improvement in corrosion resistance but some say the phenolics don't last as long in a car that does heavy towing, racing and other abusive driving scenarios. I can believe that but this car is just a gas-saving commuter so I expect good results with with phenolic.

If there are any issues, I can return them under the lifetime warranty. I will report my findings after doing the installation this weekend and I will update this thread if any problems surface later.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really niceTurboZutek is just really nice

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Nice work TravelerL300!
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote