SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 11-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
jimlrc5499
jimlrc5499 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Ion Passlock Issue?

2004 Saturn Ion 135,000 miles. Just replaced Brake Booster and Master cylinder.

Can removing the engine computer or leaving the battery disconnected for a few weeks, trip the Passlock system?

I had to change the Brake Booster and Master Cylinder. To do that I had to move the Fuse/Relay box. I disconnected the battery before doing anything. I hurt my leg and couldn't get to it for a few weeks. When I put everything back together the car won't start. All I get is a click and the lights come on. The Message area gives a "PWR STR" message and the driver's side fog light comes on.
jimlrc5499 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Ion Passlock Issue?

Unless Passlock security indicator flashes, indicating the starting circuit is disabled, it's not likely a security issue. If you have your owner's manual, review security otherwise GM offers online owner's manuals.

With power disconnected for several weeks, the battery may have discharged even when its disconnected. Did you try recharging it? Tried jump starting with another battery? A Remote Start lug in the engine bay distributes battery positive from the trunk to starter and fuse panel. You can connect jumper cables to this stud and engine ground instead of trunk boosting.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
jimlrc5499

I replaced the battery. I can't find any other reasons. I have a manual for the vehicle and have followed it.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:12 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-is security flashing or not? Under normal conditions, turning the ignition key to ON/RUN position powers up everything with all indicators and gauges cycling on then off as part of lamp tests. You should see security cycle on then off with all other indicators turning off except seat belt, oil, battery and brake light. If you see security cycle on then turn off, Passlock is operating correctly and is not preventing the engine from starting.

2-if you are comfortable under the engine, can you locate the starter and jumper the outer two terminals together (electrical cord, screwdriver, needle nose pliers, etc)? The large terminal has two wires - battery positive and a smaller gauge wire going to the alternator. A smaller terminal has one wire. This is the START wire from the ecm start relay. Jumpering these two terminals bypasses the entire ignition system and should result in powering up the starter immediately regardless of ignition switch position. This tests the starter, battery and main cable connections. If the starter does not power up or you hear a loud metallic click, the starter is faulty.

If you try this starter test, be sure xmission is in Park position, parking brake pulled and ignition OFF. You're testing the starter only and do not need ignition ON otherwise the starter powering up may result in the engine firing up. It's safer to test only the starter while under the car.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #5
jimlrc5499

Thanks. I'm comfortable under the hood. (former aircraft mechanic). I'll give it a try.