SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
amok
amok is on a distinguished road

Default Dashboard light sensor

Can anyone tell me if US versions of 2007 Ions without automatic headlights have a sensor on the dash board on the left of the defroster vent. It is a little black bulb about 3/4' diameter.

Thanks for any input.
amok is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Dashboard light sensor

I'd hazard a guess if an ION doesn't have automatic headlights (does such an ION exist?) that it wouldn't have the need for, and Saturn wouldn't have spent money on, installing the little bulb/sensor.

You might want to give us more information about what/why you are asking.

If the vehicle has the bulb/sensor and it isn't turning ON "automatically" then you might check the fuses and electrical connections maybe?
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
amok

Sorry to be vague, but my daughters 2007 Ion doesnt have auto headlamps which was a surprise. Bought it used in Canada so it was probably a US model imported to Canada. It was bought new in Toronto so apparently it was brought in as new. She asked about the auto feature and is currently away so I couldnt ask her if the car has the sensor or not so I asked the question above. I dont think it has it and will try to instal an auto headlamp switch that I found on Ebay. Not sure if it will work, but gives an old guy something to do. It has the day time running lamps but no auto position on the lamp switch so I think you are right, the sensor is missing and probably the BCM will not support the function. I was hoping that I could just change the switch with one that has the auto feature and if the sensor was there it would pick it up. I know this is the case in some other newer cars but I am not so lucky here.

By the way, the manual does say "if your car has auto headlamps...." but it doesnt say why it would or wouldn't so I guess it isnt universal.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

in the us some ions had auto headlamps and some didnt. not sure about canada ions
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

only ion 3s (velor cloth or leather and foglights from the factory) have this. it would have the little sensor. if you do have the sensor, the ion has auto headlights, if it does not have the sensor, you cannot add this feature, it is way more than you think it is.
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Since you have functioning DRL... Does your ION still meet local regulations?

I know there are some states/provinces that have specific "dusk/dawn" lighting regulations on the books. (An hour or so before/after sun set/rise) Having an Auto function would be nice to reduce forgetting to switch on your headlights "early".

While it's been a while I've needed to do it (Since I have DRL now)...I always used to drive with my headlights switched on in my (pre-DRL) 1987 and 1991 vehicles. With that said, I have noticed in my ION-3 isn't very sensitive to some fog conditions so I have taken to manually activating my headlights/fog lights when heading out in those conditions.

Your easiest solution to this issue might be to get the daughter in the habit of switching on the Headlights, when starting the engine and during buckle up... (Assuming there is no regulations against running full headlights in your area?)
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
amok

I dont think there is any issue with compliance. We are in Ontario.

The manual switching may well be where we end up but at this point she is more concerned about leaving the lights on than forgetting to turn them on. The car has battery run down protection but I dont think that includes headlights. At least it only refers to interior lights and accessories in the manual. If it includes the headlights/parking lights that would be good to know.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, battery rundown protection does not include your headlights.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Is the speedometer in MPH the main numbers (bigger numbers) or are they in KMH? This will tell you without a doubt if it was built for USA or for Canada....
Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it has to be a canada car as it was sold new in canada.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
amok

The main speedo #'s are in KM's. I assumed that all GM cars in Canada had auto headlamps because so many people were driving around at night with no headlights or tail lights after they made the DRL mandatory. Our 2002 L200 had it and my 2006 Ion3 have it but the 2007 Ion2 doesnt so I thought it must have been brought in from the US. Would like to know if other Cdn Ion2's do have it or if there is a mix of have's and have not's.

At any rate the kit from England should arrive in a few days and if anyone is interested I will post an update on how it worked out.

This was my first post and really appreciate the responses
Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

On my 2007 is a switch on the end of the signal arm to the left to put it to auto, Manual, Park and Headlight..... that is funny it would not have it. Maybe it did not come with that option...?

Is it a Ion 2 or Ion 3 ??

Cheers Buddy!
Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

this is not hard to figure out, you do or don't have the sensor.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
amok

I couldnt verify whether there was a sensor until last night. My daughters car is 400KM from me and she was away. Now I know there is no sensor so I am going ahead with the aftermarket mod. I knew there was no auto position on the switch but thought the sensor might still be there. No sensor and no auto position. The mod I have bought includes a sensor and control box. Just a matter of seeing the instructions and making sure it will work with the Ion and maybe this will have a happy ending.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

or maybe it will fry your BCM... make sure it is safe to use on cars where the lights are computer controlled. all lights on all ions are computer controlled.
2007 Saturn Ion 2

Old 08-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
amok

Yikes! Dont want to fry the BCM. I figure the mod will break into the standard "ON" circuit and complete the circuit if the ignition is ON and the light sensor indicates low light level. There is a manual switch on the control box that if activated, returns the standard switch to normal operation i.e. bypassing the control box. The BCM shouldnt be upset about this because it still should see a "normal" request to activate or deactivate the lights.

But you got my attention and I appreciate that so will certainly look for any indication that the BCM might suffer.