SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 04-14-2021, 02:01 AM   #21
ProOpel
ProOpel is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Astra Tuning (wip)

It's been a while since my last update! Haven't forgoten about it, just didn't have the time to do it. After so many months running with a lean fuel pump, and having replaced it finally, I can give my thoughts about the team200 performance manifold exhaust.

I believe there's is a difference in torque in pull in low gear, but not a lot. To me, it feels I get more pull at highway speeds though, specially when I'm passing another car, but would I have gotten the same response from a new stock unit? It's up to guess. However, the car passes more effortlessly other newer cars. Does it feel like 15hp though? Not sure, as I haven't dyno'd it either so I don't know yet, but I believe there's a small improvement.

Is it worth $500? Not! UNLESS you plan to do other improvements like I'm hoping to do soon. With an ECM upgrade and running a computer tuning from the UK, larger injectors and an improved fuel pump motor, with the air filter intake mod, and other upgrades, it will help. But just buying an exhaust manifold and not upgrade other things, not worth it.

For regular driving use, just keep using the stock unit. In my case I'm planning to do the ECM upgrade and replacing other parts to get the same or close to the HP/torque the guy in the astraownersnetwork got, so we'll see where that will take the car next.

Anyways, will update on the next improvements.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
OPC body work (wip)
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #22
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

A couple of thoughts to improve oil flow as you tweak performance.

The VVT system seems to run much quieter and cleaner with good full synthetic oil. Goob has 135k miles on his Astra and has only used Mobil 1; the insides of his engine are very clean. We recently changed over to Mobil 1.

Also, there was a GM issued a service note to remove the orange screens from the cam actuator solenoids. I think that might improve oil flow slightly, which might be helpful if you are running aggressively. You can search the forums for the note.

I saw a few European videos for leaky oil pans. There is a filter in the pan that seems to get gummed up over time so might benefit from a cleaning. I don't think the oil pan has a gasket so there was a procedure for refitting the oil pan.

On an unrelated topic, the throttle body benefits from periodic cleaning. As does the MAF.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #23
ProOpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post

The VVT system seems to run much quieter and cleaner with good full synthetic oil. Goob has 135k miles on his Astra and has only used Mobil 1; the insides of his engine are very clean. We recently changed over to Mobil 1.

Also, there was a GM issued a service note to remove the orange screens from the cam actuator solenoids. I think that might improve oil flow slightly, which might be helpful if you are running aggressively. You can search the forums for the note.

I saw a few European videos for leaky oil pans. There is a filter in the pan that seems to get gummed up over time so might benefit from a cleaning. I don't think the oil pan has a gasket so there was a procedure for refitting the oil pan.

On an unrelated topic, the throttle body benefits from periodic cleaning. As does the MAF.

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to look into this. I used mobile 1 on my last oil change. Car seemed to like it indeed. I got the 25k or whatever it is, and it lasted quite a few thousand miles!
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:55 PM   #24
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post

I agree regarding the synthetic oil recommendations.

I had just 34K miles on my car when I got it in 2015 (still a newbie around here) and had 97-98K on it when I replaced the cam actuator solenoids last September. Links are to photos on my GDrive. These parts are notorious for getting their screens clogged with sludge and particles. I was fortunate not to have any such residue here or anywhere under my valve cover.....it just leaked like a biotch when it decided to go.

I had used mostly a Valvoline full synthetic product, but have used either Amazon's or Costco's full synthetic 10-W30 product since they became available. Since I'm changing about every 3.5K miles, I'm not worried about the oil getting tired. There are several videos on these two product that satisfied me they are as good as the big guys. The guy who does "The Farm Project" channel on YouTube is an amateur, but has good methods testing many items. Below are his links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9il_piyuT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc

Yeah, I know, get to my promised pictures. After removed the parts shown, I tried to remove the screens from the used parts as have many here. This, before doing the same to the new ones, so to meet all of the service bulletin information others have brought up and I have been ignoring. I have the training and inclination to do this ( I work and train others in surgery...or used to), but my hands are partially numb from chemotherapy and I scored the snot out of many surfaces in practice.

I found these same OEM beauties for just $38 each and because the originals looked so dang clean, I decided to just put them in. I've never experienced any of the noise or problems of these failing, just preventive because it was time.

The pictures:

Actuator End

Actuator Side

Last edited by JFS; 04-16-2021 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling errors
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #25
ProOpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
I agree regarding the synthetic oil recommendations.

I had just 34K miles on my car when I got it in 2015 (still a newbie around here) and had 97-98K on it when I replaced the cam actuator solenoids last September. Links are to photos on my GDrive. These parts are notorious for getting their screens clogged with sludge and particles. I was fortunate not to have any such residue here or anywhere under my valve cover.....it just leaked like a biotch when it decided to go.

I had used mostly a Valvoline full synthetic product, but have used either Amazon's or Costco's full synthetic 10-W30 product since they became available. Since I'm changing about every 3.5K miles, I'm not worried about the oil getting tired. There are several videos on these two product that satisfied me they are as good as the big guys. The guy who does "The Farm Project" channel on YouTube is an amateur, but has good methods testing many items. Below are his links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9il_piyuT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DWGtXpYUc

Yeah, I know, get to my promised pictures. After removed the parts shown, I tried to remove the screens from the used parts as have many here. This, before doing the same to the new ones, so to meet all of the service bulletin information others have brought up and I have been ignoring. I have the training and inclination to do this ( I work and train others in surgery...or used to), but my hands are partially numb from chemotherapy and I scored the snot out of many surfaces in practice.

I found these same OEM beauties for just $38 each and because the originals looked so dang clean, I decided to just put them in. I've never experienced any of the noise or problems of these failing, just preventive because it was time.

The pictures:

Actuator End

Actuator Side
Thanks for the pics and info JFS. Recently my Astra turned 170k and I've been considering doing this upgrade when I do the timing belt. I'm also thinking of getting a backup Astra, but it's so hard to find one these days!
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
OPC body work (wip)