SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
kar
kar is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Dizzy Looking for an A/C compressor relay for 1996 SC2

Just started an account on this website since I can’t find anything about this part. I’m looking for ACDelco 21030824 A/C Compressor Relay Switch and I’ve been looking everywhere since I need it for my A/C to work. Does anyone have one that is working if you guys do please message me it would be a great help

If you guys need a picture here’s one on Amazon:
https://us.amazon.com/ACDelco-210308.../dp/B00HUESET8

(Also I’m completely new to the Saturn cars is there any mods I can put on this without blowing up this engine <3)
kar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Looking for an A/C compressor relay for 1996 SC2

You'll find nothing in mods to boost power unless you're willing to spend time and money for little gain on a low end product with a fixed pcm that can't be tuned despite many years of members claiming to break the pcm. None have returned with detailed instructions, wiring diagrams, programming tools, etc. Saturn S-series 1.9L engines is the low cost line for GM to establish Saturn without any tuning possibilities. Piggy back products are one way of adding performance.

A simple search of the ac pressure switch (not really a relay but a pressure sensor) shows one site for $39.99 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001393488485.html. Whether or not its available is up to you to order one. Another site wants $14.73 - http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/21030824.html. I didn't add a link to an outrageous price of $149.99 for a refurbished pressure switch.

Unless you can prove your pressure switch is faulty, very few here have proven these switches as faulty due to unfamiliarity of its operation. Bluntly put, this switch remains closed while the ac system holds pressure whether running or not. This pressure switch opens when a leak or catastrophic damage occurs, rupturing anywhere to release refrigerant immediately. The pressure switch opens when pressure falls below approximately 40 psi. This open switch sends a signal to the pcm to disable power to the ac compressor because loss of refrigerant also means zero lubrication as refrigerant moves refrigerant oil thru the system, eventually returning to the compressor for lubrication. If this pressure switch were bypassed and refrigerant leaks out, the compressor will self destruct all by itself from lack of lubrication. The pressure switch is virtually trouble free and works.

The simple test for this pressure switch as well verifying loss of refrigerant that triggered this switch is to simply bypass the two wire connector with a wire jumper inserted into the female connector and turning on ac. You should hear the clutch engage immediately but do not run the compressor this way. Loss of refrigerant is detected by this pressure switch to protect the compressor from self destruction without it. When correct repairs are made to have the system hold refrigerant without leaking, the pressure switch closes to allow compressor operation.

You can always remove a pressure switch from a junk yard Saturn as they're likely in good condition. Just remember this; the pressure switch remains closed only under pressure of at least 40 psi otherwise it opens when removed from a system or out of the box (new or used). Every ac system will be under pressure with at least 70 psi without ac running. This is well above the detection level of ac pressure sensors.

Last edited by fdryer; 11-16-2021 at 07:59 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
kar
kar is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Okay thanks for the reply will definitely try it see if thatís the problem, my dad replaced the stock air compressor after the A/C stopped delivering refrigerant to the cabin. Few years later it happened again I checked the low pressure refrigerant it read around 50-55psi (slightly over the recommended psi according to the scale). Hopefully the air compressor isnít at fault since theyíre pretty expensive and most likely wonít put a that much into this car since I might get a car within a few years or so. But I started to like this car in a few months of use especially the pop-up headlights
kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:45 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1- don't use any store ac refill kit gauges to assess any ac system. Unless you're trained to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair any vehicle ac system, you're in the general group of second guessers using hearsay, misinformation and opinions from anyone, usually not trained in vehicle ac systems. I'm self taught from r12 days and use all the equipment repair shops use except reclamation canisters. I practice on every repair to be better. Mistakes occur but that's part of learning.

2- standby ac pressures means little to most familiar with ac systems because pressures will vary in proportion to outside temperatures. Basically, if outside temps are around 75F, standby pressure may be 70 psi. 95F, 95 psi. Refrigerant is a gas at room temperature but in a sealed system, this gas is confined in a set volume of the system. Standby pressures will vary with outside temps. Not well known or discussed in most forums about vehicle ac systems. Physics laws like Charles and Boyle's laws describe gases in a closed container with heat or cold added to alter pressures.

There's more to ac repairs than using refill kits and general misinformation floating around in forums and YouTube videos. Once anyone attempts ac repairs, that person automatically becomes the ac repairman with or without knowledge of ac fundamentals because a can of worms opens up when things don't go right.

I wrote a long winded description vehicle ac systems; https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=80107 if you're interested. If you don't fall asleep reading it you may learn a few things.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:36 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar View Post
Okay thanks for the reply will definitely try it see if that’s the problem,
Hold up - don't diagnose a problem by buying parts and throwing them at the problem.

edit: richpin AC troubleshooting videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM80xlon3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3o1l4r_ERE

Is this a problem that happened over the summer and you are now just getting to it, or do you live somewhere that you need AC in November? lol
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote