Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Brad LeBosse
Brad LeBosse is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Last model year collector.

Last model year collector

I just realized that I am a “last model year collector”. I just purchased a 2005 L300 in January. I also have a 1996 Oldsmobile Silhouette and that was redesigned in 2007. Another coincidence is that the Silhouette is also made of polymer. I believe that the Chevy Lumina APV, Pontiac transport and Olds Silhouette that were made from 1990 to 1996 in the Tarrytown NY plant were all polymer panels and these models went to steel bodies in 1997. The olds has 80K on it and the body is like new. GM shut down the very high tech and very expensive plant in Tarry town mostly due to the negative press on the appearance of the slant nose vans. Again, GM did little to advertise and promote the benefits of the technology used in these vehicles. There were no Oldsmobile fans back then to try and persuade GM to reconsider, as if that would have done any good. So those Saturnfans who think you are the only group of loyal car enthusiasts going through polymer withdrawal, you’re not alone. At least you still have Saturn, Oldsmobile is going… going… gone!

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobil...tte/index.html

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobil...ouette/96.html

My Silhouette has the green exterior and Grey interior like the one in the picture on the first link above. My L300 is black with the tan interior.
I hope the L hold up as well as the Silhouette.

Last edited by Brad LeBosse; 02-12-2005 at 09:21 AM.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #2
Brad LeBosse

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Last model year collector.

Read this and you realize that Saturn is experiencing the same pains that Oldsmobile was going trough in 1990. Amazing that Saturn now introduced the Relay, just like Oldsmobile fought GM for a minivan in their lineup in 1990 to help boost lagging sales for the division.

Whats new for '90:
Silhouette was Oldsmobile's version of three all new minivans introduced by GM for 1990. They were unique in the marketplace, due to plastic composite exterior body panels, and futuristic styling often criticized as looking like a "Dustbuster". The Olds version was the most upscale of the trio, and the only one to offer optional leather seating. It featured seating for six or seven passengers with modular rear seats. Some major features included solar control windshield, rear air conditioning and a radio antenna integrated into the roof.

Biggest News:
An Oldsmobile version of this van was originally not planned, but dealers fought to get it. Since sales were falling, dealers viewed the van as a way to regain lost market share market share.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
Brad LeBosse

2008 VUE 2.4L

You have to see this commercial! OK maybe you don't but watch it anyway.

http://saturnhonolulu.net/commerical...Sep_03web.html

Guess what pulls up next to the L300 in the commercial? You got it, an Oldsmobile Silhouette!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
beensmoked
beensmoked will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That's a great commercial.....but that's not an L300. lol Thx for the link!
Old 02-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad LeBosse
Last model year collector

I just realized that I am a “last model year collector”. I just purchased a 2005 L300 in January. I also have a 1996 Oldsmobile Silhouette and that was redesigned in 2007.
Bold styling doesn't help minivan sales. Nissan is figuring that out now. I like the plastic vans seating. IIRC each seat was separate and could be removed or placed as such.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
greasynails
greasynails is on a distinguished road

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned is a 92 Chev Lumina APV. I had said I would never own one because they are so ugly. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my wife always thought they looked so "futuristic and sharp."

We had an aging Aerostar with the chronic auto trans problems when we ran across the APV. It was 7 years old at the time with 62,000 one owner miles. It has the 3.8 engine which is superb; it has a great blend of power and economy.

We lived in a rust belt state and since the APV has the composite body, - they are actually a different body from the Saturns - I agreed to buy it despite its ghostbuster looks. Now that I own it I think its cute and not so ugly, but regardless of looks it is the most reliable vehicle I've owned. It now has 174,500 miles and never uses oil, even between changes (at 3000 miles). It has never burned out a light bulb, and of course, the body looks like new. It gets an honest 25 mpg on the highway, and can tow a pretty good load. It is excellent in snow and the original air will still blow you out even in Florida in the summer. I replaced brakes, spark plugs, filters and tires, nothing outside of routine maintenance except for the heater core.

It was because of the APV that I got interested in Saturn. I love having a rust free, dent free vehicle. I like my L, but it will need to go a long way to prove itself as good as the APV. Hopefully it will, though I have had a few of the common L problems already. Meanwhile, if I ever come across a low mileage "dustbuster van" - any one of the GM cousins, I would snap it up in a hurry.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 AM   #7
Brad LeBosse

2008 VUE 2.4L

Greasynails, I wish the 1996 Olds Silhouette had the 3800 engine. For some stupid reason, GM took out the 3800 and substituted the 3400 whish is so much less powerful, has worse gas mileage and is prone to piston slap and is just a noisy engine. Other than that, it is a very durable vehicle. I hope to keep it 5 more years but I only have 80K on it at this time. So Beensmoked, what is the L in the commercial, an L200 or L100?
Closed Thread