SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Just bought a nice SL1!

Heyo, only my second post here ever, but wanted to show off this one I just picked up today in Michigan.

My truck decided it didn't need a fuel pump any longer, so while it's off the road, I came across this dealer trade-in of a 2000 SL1 (base). It's not anything really special, no power anything, but it does only have 157k miles and the previous owners at least tried to take care of it.

It originally began it's life in Indiana and ended up going through three other owners between Flint and Saginaw before it ended up at the dealer.

Some good things:

No rust on the body (yeah, I know much of it is plastic too)
Minimal surface rust on the underside
Trunk shows no sign of water leakage and is very clean
AC/heat work, though AC is not very cold (at least the pump turned on, that's a good sign)
Stereo works, all speakers sound really good
Newer tires
Has had a new EGR valve installed
Found evidence of fluids being changed
Tires all match, but rears are newer than the fronts
Starts right up without hesitation and idles wonderfully, though the whole car vibrates, feels like the exhaust isn't properly hung
Suspension feels solid, it doesn't bounce

Some not so good things:

Smoker's car. This includes a sagging headliner, bad sun visors, burn holes, and bad smells
The pillars all the way from the front to the back above the windows have their clear coat baked off.
Front bumper needs new clear coat
Bad dome light switch somewhere
Driver's mirror was knocked off, they screwed back onto the door... ugh. I already ordered a new one and thankfully it'll cover the screw holes.
Small ding in the side of the bumper on the passenger side, broke the clips holding the bumper on (easy fix!)
Headlights are beginning to yellow

My plans:

Already ordered the new mirror.
Reset the bumper
Clear-coat the pillars and bumper with Clearmax 4K
Clean and seal the headlights (with Clearmax as well)
Replace the headliner and visors
Track down the faulty dome light switch (I suspect it's the front passenger because the dome light didn't turn on until I pushed on it and now the dome light won't turn off, might just replace ALL of them for this reason).
New stereo, floor mats, seat covers.
"Oh. ****!" handle needs to be put back on

Since parts are extremely hard to find, I think I'm going to do a two-tone interior theme. I found some really nice seat covers that are black with burgundy centers with some black floor mats. The dash is already black against the strangely colored beige/khaki interior, so I don't think it'll be so bad to look at.

The pinstripes are mostly gone, so I think I'll finish the process and put some new ones one, just for the heck of it.

This will also be a nice flip too once I get my truck back on the road, something nice for someone's first vehicle or someone else's A-B car. I'll give it a year and some love. Maybe a wax job too, I'm sure it's never had one :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1020.jpg (207.9 KB, 36 views)
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2021, 02:04 AM   #2
Bob243
Bob243 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL1
1995 SL2
Default Re: Just bought a nice SL1!

Enjoy! Good luck with it!
Bob243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats..

But be forewarned -

It can.be habit forming.....

Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
98 SL2
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Nice!
A lot of what you described is just labor. There is a smell neutralizer at Loews. Their brand. Mixed with water and sprayed liberally should eliminate smoke stink
Has worked for me with cat urine, should work with smoke...
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

How much, if you don't mind my asking? Also, if you answer, be ready to get flamed by folks saying you paid too much

I was thinking top motor mount for the vibration, but saw your other thread about the loose muffler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
It can.be habit forming.....

(looks at signature) onlinebiker is clearly addicted

Yeah, can be habit forming, especially if gas goes back up to $4 a gallon.

Or, if you find out how easy it is to fix minor things and do well on the flip.

They do surprisingly well in snow, too, plus no worries about minor dings.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1

The dealer had it posted for $1995. I put $100 down on it to hold it, took another $2000 with me because I figured "taxes", but some of the other taxes and fees would have brought me to just under $2300, BUT they gave me a deal and got me out the door for $2100 cash.

Even if it was too much, here in Michigan most people try to sell balls of rust for price of new cars.

I once saw a Craigslist ad for a mid 2000's Silverado with so much rust that you could see the inside of the bed from the outside, no working 4x4 and pretty much just looked like it would fall apart if you hit a small pothole for a whopping $5000... people in Michigan can be really stupid.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
Clear-coat the pillars and bumper with Clearmax 4K
Clean and seal the headlights (with Clearmax as well)
And I MEANT to say Spraymax 2K... not sure where I got 'Clearmax' from... but I was tired, it was a long day picking up the car.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
Even if it was too much, here in Michigan most people try to sell balls of rust for price of new cars.... people in Michigan can be really stupid.
I hear ya, man - that's how I fell into my first Saturn a decade ago. Gas was pretty high, rusted out, high mileage Geo Metros, Civics from the 80s, etc., were selling for $3k and over (no kidding, saw a Plymouth Horizon sell in 2008 for close to $3k). Found the '98 SL2 for $800 on ebay but needed enough work that I think most buyers got scared off (cracked body panels, mirrors, timing chain noise)

$80 for a timing chain kit, maybe $100~200 for body panels, and drove the car for another 100k miles. Still runs great but I need to replace the subframe and other bits.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
Marty605
Marty605 is a jewel in the roughMarty605 is a jewel in the roughMarty605 is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1

Nice!!
1996 SL1 SOHC 1.9 232K - Best car I have ever had!
Marty605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #10
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I hear ya, man - that's how I fell into my first Saturn a decade ago. Gas was pretty high, rusted out, high mileage Geo Metros, Civics from the 80s, etc., were selling for $3k and over (no kidding, saw a Plymouth Horizon sell in 2008 for close to $3k). Found the '98 SL2 for $800 on ebay but needed enough work that I think most buyers got scared off (cracked body panels, mirrors, timing chain noise)

$80 for a timing chain kit, maybe $100~200 for body panels, and drove the car for another 100k miles. Still runs great but I need to replace the subframe and other bits.
This one is working out really nice, I've managed to work down the smoke odor and I've been really scrubbing away at the interior. Already replaced the mirror and am working on other little things until my truck is fixed and I can switch back to this to do even more
Old 04-18-2021, 06:29 PM   #11
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
How much, if you don't mind my asking? Also, if you answer, be ready to get flamed by folks saying you paid too much

I was thinking top motor mount for the vibration, but saw your other thread about the loose muffler. (looks at signature) onlinebiker is clearly addicted

Yeah, can be habit forming, especially if gas goes back up to $4 a gallon.

Or, if you find out how easy it is to fix minor things and do well on the flip.

They do surprisingly well in snow, too, plus no worries about minor dings.
I can quit anytime I want.

I just don't wanna....

Currently owned
93 SC2 M(anual)
96 SC2 M
98 SL2 A(uto)
99 SC2 A
01 SC2 A
01 SC2 M
02 SC2 M
02 SL2 A
02 SL2 M