SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2
Default Po731,po732, po734

Hello
In my quest of finding Saturns fixing them and enjoying them I acquired a $400
1999, SC2 with 143,000 miles on it .
car in very excellent condition paint is a nine out of a ten,interior is 10 out of 10 the undercarriage is a 10 out of 10.
Owner told me it was going to need a valve body and he was not interested in doing the repair .
I ordered the correct valve body with the sonnax upgrades off eBay made the repair also did the input nut at the same time with that proper tool.
I put a fresh filter on the car and fresh transmission oil and drove the car perhaps 25 miles with no event. Everything working great. The other day the car would not shift out of first gear. Reverse is fine engines got excellent power and itís thrown the numerous codes as I posted in the description. I am thinking the connector on the top of the pan where the valve body is is in question.It has liquid rubber on it as though maybe there was a cut to the insulation. Iím thinking Iím going to go to a junkyard and get a connector off of a old SC-2, and solder/splice into place.
Anybody have any input as to where I should also look? the fuses were good fluid is fresh and at the full line.
The inside of the transmission was pristine looking with no contamination debris or any signs of anything being other than perfect.
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Po731,po732, po734

What vendor did the VB come from? Have you checked solenoid resistance recently? Check LP (line-pressure).
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hey,
I can look to see if I kept the receipt, not sure. I have not checked anything else since swapping the VB. The car originally ran well and shifted properly though.
Ok I changed out the ect sensor yesterday because the temp gauge read low , it was in fact the original plastic round nose in there. Curious because the temp gauge still reading low, even though I am getting heat. Wonder if thermostat also should be swapped? Can there be a connection to the transmission issue? Probably not.
Playing with this car while the other awaits the ďnewĒ head.
Eventually I have to hit pay dirt... something has to go right
No cars, no beer this st. Pattyís day. Cat needs to go to the vet. Lol
Old 03-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Replace the t-stat as the seals probably melted when leaving the original coolant sensor in. The engine overheats in summer weather because the faulty coolant sensor never sends correct signals (often as freezing temperature signals the pcm in turn keeps a rich fuel mixture and higher than normal idle). With incorrect temperature signals, coolant overheats and the cooling fan never turns on hence melting t-stat seals. Replacing the t-stat restores full cooling system functions including cold start, normal idle and plenty of heat in the winter.

Replacing the t-stat may correct those error codes. The t-stat has a direct effect on coolant sensor signals that has an indirect effect on the pcm. The pcm users all sensors when determining how to shift gears so every sensor input to the pcm affects shifts on automatics.

Last edited by fdryer; 03-17-2021 at 05:19 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

I purchased the recondition valve body from a place called transmission electronics store (TES) which is located at treasure Island Florida.
Now Iím not sure why I purchased it from them although I believed they used the upgraded Sonnax parts , however just looking at their website there is no indication of this .
they say they are refurbished by a transmission expert. Lifetime warranty.
Well I will change the thermostat and go from there and do the other checks as suggested by Billr.
Worst case scenario if I have to order a new valve body refurbished with the proper sonnax parts I will do so .
I hope I did not let my cheapness override a proper choice first time although I cannot remember at this point.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Call or email the VB vendor for advice, and ask them which Sonnax upgrades they do (there are four total, but only two are critical). If it is a good vendor they will work with you alongside what advice we can offer.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Call or email the VB vendor for advice, and ask them which Sonnax upgrades they do (there are four total, but only two are critical). If it is a good vendor they will work with you alongside what advice we can offer.
I will do this
Old 03-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
billr
Master Member

Also, get the P/Ns off the trans bell-housing and PCM. We might as well verify those are compatible.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Quote:
Also, get the P/Ns off the trans bell-housing and PCM. We might as well verify those are compatible.
Hmmm , yes I will look of course this car new to me so who knows what has taken place before me.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:39 AM   #10
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
Ok this weekend I changed the thermostat, replaced the coolant also. Temp gauge now read in its proper range at about 3/8. Fan also cycled on and off.
I cleared the codes, drove the car , shifting was sloppy/slipping, within three miles the transmission wouldnít shift and the codes returned. Vendor said disconnect the battery leads, and short them to each other for 15 minutes , then reinstall. Not sure what result this will produce I didnít try it yet but I will the valve body company was somewhat evasive on whether or not they did any Sonnax repairs. Will try that this afternoon doubtful this is going to correct anything. I have not yet checked the PCM or transmission Vin numbers by the way where is the PCM located?
Old 03-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #11
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

On the 99 it is under the dash pad behind (from the driver's seat perspective) the instrument cluster.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
On the 99 it is under the dash pad behind (from the driver's seat perspective) the instrument cluster.
Thank you I will have to check this afternoon.
Itís starting to feel more and more like itís going to be a new valve body with the approved SONNAX modifications.
I will of course call my vendor and see what they have to say
Old 03-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Disconnecting battery negative for 10-20 seconds, disconnecting both battery cables and shorting then together does the same thing - removing power to the pcm and forcing a reset back to factory parameters. This procedure only needs to be done once because the pcm being reset back to factory settings means the engine parameters are relearned along with learning how to shift gears. After a reset, avoiding jackrabbit stoplight racing wth normal everyday driving will allow the pcm to learn how you like to drive, adjusting shifts in a day or so. Replacing the thermostat also helps the engine because it warms up sooner and affects xmission shifts. Kinda like driving a new car, babying it for awhile to break in New brakes, engine, etc.

If a pcm reset doesn't restore shifts back to normal after a few days of driving and error codes repeat then there may be valve body issues with shift/pressure control solenoids.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #14
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
I tried the power disconnect and relearn.
I have reverse ,first gear ,sloppy /slipping shift to second .
no third no fourth gear . Drove gently around neighborhood for 1/2 hour. Starting ,stopping.
Going to contact VB manufacturer. They claim ďlifetime ď warranty. My confidence is low but itís worth a shot
Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #15
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
Can someone point me to the correct vendor with correctly Sonnax rebuilt valve body? So many on ebay
Old 03-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #16
billr
Master Member

Central Valve Bodies in/near Tulsa, OK is the one I like. However, I would not throw another VB at it just yet. Diagnosing a bad VB is often a matter of eliminating all other problems, leaving only the VB as suspect. So...

1) Have the VB solenoid resistances been checked? That suspicious 10-wire cable that connects to the solenoids needs to be thoroughly checked too, of course...

2) Has line-pressure been checked?

3) Has the trans/PCM compatibility been checked?

4) Has live-data been used to check various trans data/parameters?

5) Has the ISN been checked/tightened?

6) Air-checks of the trans clutches/servo need doing (requires VB off)

7) Have the VSS and TSS been swapped to see if there is any difference in codes/symptoms.

8) Tried driving it with the 10-wire cable on top of trans disconnected? You should get only R and one forward gear (3rd or 4th, can't remember) that way; and lots of trans codes, but not the P0731-P0734 for "wrong gear ratio"

I got more to say, but will let you chew on the above for a while!

Last edited by billr; 03-23-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #17
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Quote:
Central Valve Bodies in/near Tulsa, OK is the one I like. However, I would not throw another VB at it just yet. Diagnosing a bad VB is often a matter of eliminating all other problems, leaving only the VB as suspect. So...

1) Have the VB solenoid resistances been checked? That suspicious 10-wire cable that connects to the solenoids needs to be thoroughly checked too, of course...

2) Has line-pressure been checked?

3) Has the trans/PCM compatibility been checked?

4) Has live-data been used to check various trans data/parameters?

5) Has the ISN been checked/tightened?

6) Air-checks of the trans clutches/servo need doing (requires VB off)

7) Have the VSS and TSS been swapped to see if there is any difference in codes/symptoms.

8) Tried driving it with the 10-wire cable on top of trans disconnected? You should get only R and one forward gear (3rd or 4th, can't remember) that way; and lots of trans codes, but not the P0731-P0734 for "wrong gear ratio"

I got more to say, but will let you chew on the above for a while!
Wow thatís a lot to chew on but OK I am going to go in the order that you were suggesting.
it would be truly spectacular if I didnít have to throw more dollars at it right away and /or waste money . I donít know that I can perform them all, however I do have a factory service manual, so I will follow along with your steps, bookís instructions.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #18
billr
Master Member

Put emphasis on getting the trans and PCM numbers. That is free and easy to do, and a mismatch there could get you the "incorrect gear ratio" codes, I think.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #19
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Quote:
Put emphasis on getting the trans and PCM numbers. That is free and easy to do, and a mismatch there could get you the "incorrect gear ratio" codes, I think.
Will do that tonight Iíve been so darn busy.
Kind of excited about sorting this out though thought I would also check the wiring integrity and do the easy stuff on your list first.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 AM   #20
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
Ok back on this issue. Accessed the 10 wire connector on the top of the trans. Removed the liquid tape and found a crushed wire, exposed strands with degraded looking copper inside. Im thinking this is not helping complete the circuit. Called my local pick n pull yard , currently no SC2 in stock. Any thoughts as to where I might source a connector? Can the female terminal be separated from the connector? There is a rubber potting compound surrounding the plug, surely there for weather proofing. This may be an obstacle.
Will also check the pcm/ trans compatibility tonight.
Thanks for thoughts