SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2
Default Sl1 trans shift trouble after rebuild

Hello
This is my hi mile,SL1 car that just got an
Engine rebuild after 352k miles.
This trans issue began about 400 miles after the engine rebuild .
Started to shift hard first into 2nd, hard shift into 3rd,also but not as much bang as 1 to 2.
Changed the trans oil and filter in the transmission but problem persists. Disconnected battery cable for 10 minutes made no difference fuses TR1,TR2 appear to be intact any thoughts? Will a used trans be coming along soon?
Transmission has never been touched other than routine oil and filter changes 352k on it also. Once the car is up the highway speed it just purrs along very nice.
Transmission downshifting is also a bit rough but not as pronounced.

This is not to be confused with my SL2 that I am waiting on a connector for thevalvebody . Thatís a different post
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Sl1 trans shift trouble after rebuild

Did you check the 3rd tans fuse? Also, check the resistance on all (5) trans solenoids. Check system voltage with engine running (should be 14-15VDC)

After those easy ones, probably time to use a gauge to check trans line-pressure.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Ok
I checked the three fuses , all good .
Voltage at battery while running; 14.4 vdc.
This trans has always been super reliable , babied mostly.
Going to read up on reading the resistance next thanks.
Russ
Old 05-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #4
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
Ok this is where I am:
I changed transmission oil, as I had overfilled the transmission by approximately 1 quart. Realizing this, I drained the oil ,changed the filter with a WIX ,and refilled the transmission with the correct level of oil. The used oil had sludge in it however the oil was dark red did not smell burnt and had no signs of any metal contamination. I would be ashamed to tell you how many miles it had on it since itís last change
No change in shifting.
Tonight I checked the terminals on the valve body and discovered that terminal F & G which I presume is line pressure is reading at a low 2.1 ohms.
All the rest are reading 5 ohms or greater.
I have a spare used valve body , from Which I will source a coil, change out ASAP and post results.
Feeling pretty confident that this may be the solution.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #5
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Line pressure solenoids on the later years of the S-series were kind of problematic. That resistance reading of 2.1 ohms is enough to make a difference in shifting. I bet changing that fixes it.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Yes, F and G are the LP solenoid.

All five of those solenoids are the same P/N, so take whichever you want from the spare VB.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
OK I finished off swapping the line pressure solenoid in the transmission last night . Perhaps I didnít get a good Measurement, as the ďold ď line pressure solenoid was 4.1 ohms , not the 2.1 ohms I originally read. (This a New reading I took once the bus plate was out of the way.)
all the rest of the coils were 4.8 or greater ohms. I swapped in a know good 5 ohm solenoid to the line pressure location.
started and drove the car today. The 1 to 2 shift is still banging slightly ,although not as pronounced. All the rest of the shift points are way smoother than before.
I am thinking that the transmission sat a very long time during the engine rebuild process and subsequent issues I had with that project.
I am going to gently drive this car in the coming week and see what happens from there. I think the transmission did not like sitting idle for so long.
Hi miler donít forget.
Once cruising the car is a pleasure.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
billr
Master Member

Once control of LP is changed, as would have happened if that solenoid was bad, then the shift parameters have to be "relearned" by the PCM. That will happen automatically with just a bit of driving.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #9
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hey Billr,
Thanks, hoping that is the case. Fingers crossed for the win.
Update asap.
(Then back to the SL2 problem in the garage)
Old 06-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #10
Sc29655
Sc29655 is on a distinguished road

Just a thought. I would check external basics first since the engine was the primary component touched. It may be that the shift control cable is out of adjustment. Hard to see how it could have been disturbed after being unclipped from the throttle body assembly for engine removal, but I've seen weirder things happen. It may not be this though because in my experience, when that cable is out of adjustment you get hard shifting across all shift points.

I wouldn't mess with it unless you had the service literature to properly adjust it. You could be compounding the problem. I'm not sure if your year is covered in the tweaked FSM, but it does give an adjustment procedure.

Other thing that comes to mind is a bad throttle position sensor. This sensor has a lot to do with transmission shift points. I believe it is a common three wire sensor, so back probing the signal return wire with the ignition in the on position and engine off will give you a voltage value as you slowly sweep the throttle plate open and closed manually.

Finding the signal wire is easy if you don't know which one is what. Just use one DMM probe on battery ground and back-probe each wire with a T-pin or something similar like a tiny paper clip. One wire will read a constant 5V and will not change as you sweep the throttle plate. This is the constant 5V reference the computer sends. One wire will read 0V or close to. This is the ground wire. The other wire will give a voltage of less than a volt, and will change as you sweep the throttle. That is the wire you want to be on to perform the test.

The voltage spec in the tweaked manual is .2V at fully closed, and 4.9V at wide open. In general, this is loosely the spec used on most older TPS sensors.

Once on the signal wire, you're looking for either no change in voltage, or as you sweep the throttle plate open and closed you see interrupts in the voltage like an erratic reading. That will confirm to you that it is bad. If you get a consistent gradual voltage climb and descend as you sweep the throttle open and closed, then the TPS is good.

In your particular case, if the TPS was the culprit I would imagine you would find a "flat spot" as they call it when you sweep the throttle at a specific point. This would look like an erratic reading on the DMM. My reasoning is that when you make the first shift point, you have the throttle open more to get the car going from a dead stop, but when you are coasting on the freeway, the throttle is generally closed more once cruising speed is reached. This could be a reason why the TPS may be your problem but you get no check engine light for it. Usually the light will come on when the sensor voltage doesn't vary, indicating a outright dead sensor or faulty wiring.

Hope it helps.
Sc29655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #11
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello OK I guess I still have work to do Iíve driven the car so far about 250 miles and while it has improved somewhat itís still doing it on the 1 to 2 shift will look into recommended checks
Old 06-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
Ccrussell

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

Hello,
Ok I have continued to drive the car. Shifting has now returned to normal. Gone is the harsh bang shifting.
There may be a tps issue, will look into this next. Still getting a pesky po401 fault.
Car is now at 41 mpg second tank of fuel.