SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default the old plastic window molding trick

hi sages- dont know if this has been covered before. probably has and i missed it . my 01 L100 has three broken window moldings. these are the black plastic slats on the window pillars and rear C corners. replaced them once about 10 years ago with ones from a junk yard and they have cracked and chipped off in part again. figure the dealer if they still have the parts new will want a fortune for them. anybody have a source handy or now how to fabricate something that would look acceptable? are there any aftermarket suppliers? if yards have them they would be well baked by the sun and weakened by weather by now. thanks tons bob f
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: the old plastic window molding trick

Parts no longer available. You will only find them at junkyards. Been there, done that. Frustrating, but part of owning an orphan!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:36 PM   #3
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi floridas- what is the correct name for these bad boys? heard that the mounting slots under the plastic will allow leaking rain onto the floor if exposed. noticing more and more that saturn L parts are unique to the L and no interchange with parts from similar gm compacts like malibus, etc. bet/hope you have some in your junkpile youd like to sell. yard is my last resort . have found this part in the past in yards as well as a few others. anything on ebay or amazon? nothing on carid, rockauto or parts geek. thanks tons bob f
Old 03-05-2021, 01:55 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There are a total of six (6) appliques, one on each of the front doors and two on each of the rear doors. They will all eventually get loose as the little hooks that attach them to the doors break off. The rear appliques on the rear doors break off for more often than any of the others. I recently bought two new such appliques from my favorite OEM website seller. These are the only new appliques available. All others can only be found at a wrecking yard.

https://www.gmpartscenter.net
Choose the body>exterior rear door trim>see item #4. Currently priced at $46.30 each (~28% off of retail).
353K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
rfisher

hi pierrot- youre right correct name is applique and there are 6(3 on each side) for the L100. what a rip in price at gm though @43-6 each. two on mine on right side rear are broken off in same spot- top 3 inches which covers the mounting notch on the pillars. will try yard first . seems many car part vendors are trying to reduce me to poverty. been dismissed from the y and c club for driving 2 bohemian relics(saturn and 92 volvo wagon rwd- both with clutch pedals!). thanks tons for the info. bob f
Old 03-06-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

FWIW, in my perusal of wrecking yards when seeking out appliques and other parts for my car I never found an L-Series car which had truly reusable rear appliques for the rear doors. In all cases the top hook on the applique was missing, and in most others the one below it was also gone. Still others were fractured as you described were such on your car. However, I did find good reusable front door appliques and the front appliques for the rear doors. As a result I purchased two of each of those since I didn't want to make extra trips to get more at some later date.

BTW, I'm sorry to learn of the difficulties at the Y and C Clubs. Those places can get so snooty! I can't afford such memberships (never mind the fact that I have no Y), but at least you've been a member!
353K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #7
rfisher

Roll Eyes Re: the old plastic window molding trick

hi pierrot- looks like i will be making a trip to my local yard. will try to get extras as you suggest. yes sad story about y and c club memberships. never actually got in. while my app was pending and had provisional approval, enemies found out i drove jalopies including the 01 saturn L and drank cheap wine( t bird) and they thought that was too bohemian . was not accepted . told me to hit the trail on tobacco road. feelings were hurt, didnt recover until i was accepted by saturn fans.com forums. maybe i wasnt gucci pucci enough. what think you? thanks tons bob f