SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
woonyboi02895
woonyboi02895 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default valve cover gasket vs50454r fel-pro

I went to change my valve cover today and wouldn't u know the dm thing wouldn't fit. Autozone tried 2 gaskets and neither fit right. They had to cut and use rtv gasket maker to make it fit right. I have a 97 sl2.
woonyboi02895 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: valve cover gasket vs50454r fel-pro

It's supposed to be a little big, and yes, it will fit. Don't let some $7 an hour counter jockey install parts on your car, they obviously don't know what they're doing. They've destroyed your new gasket, and I would take it back tomorrow first thing and demand your money back or a replacement gasket. Install it properly, it will fit.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

I totally agree with Squareback. That guy ruined your gasket. They're usually a little long. They expand and contract with heat and cold. The mistake most people make is slightly stretching it when installing it on the cover. By the time you're done, theres too much left over. You're actually supposed to do the opposite. You should scrunch it down as you press it into the groove. It will fit perfectly once completed.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
woonyboi02895
woonyboi02895 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I tried everything to get it to fit. The garage also said its not suppose to be that long. It was 5 inches too long. If it starts to leak I am gonna go back and complain. SO far so good
woonyboi02895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woonyboi02895 View Post
I tried everything to get it to fit. The garage also said its not suppose to be that long. It was 5 inches too long. If it starts to leak I am gonna go back and complain. SO far so good

I've used that same gasket on several cars without an issue.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woonyboi02895 View Post
The garage is wrong, it's entirely due to improper installation that it doesn't fit. Go to Saturn, buy their gasket. It's the same size. I would be there at 8AM tomorrow complaining, don't wait for it to be a problem, you won't have a leg to stand on.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:03 AM   #7
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

One other thing I've noticed about the valve cover gasket kits. The ones with the blue insulators, I find, require 10 inch-lbs more than the ones with the black insulators. I don't know if anyone else has had this happen. My SW2 has a kit with the blue insulators, and my SL2 has the one with the black insulators. The SL2 requires the normal 89 inch pounds. With the Wagon, I had to tweak it with the blue insulators by 10 inch pounds more. At 89, it leaked near where the timing chain would be, and also in plug wells two and three.

So, I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but there is definitely a difference between the two cars even though they both have the same composite covers. The only obvious difference is the insulators. The gaskets may be (and probably are) from different manufacturers.

Let me know what you guys think.
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
AllarysDanyaela
AllarysDanyaela is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

My dad and I just did a valve cover gasket on my SC2. It didn't seem like it would fit at first, but with a little scooching it did, so I really don't think you should be cutting anything..... Wish you the best of luck tho.
Sometimes in life you just have to roll with it. Like when a cart hits your car and your friend is the one freaking out. :)
AllarysDanyaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
One other thing I've noticed about the valve cover gasket kits. The ones with the blue insulators, I find, require 10 inch-lbs more than the ones with the black insulators. I don't know if anyone else has had this happen. My SW2 has a kit with the blue insulators, and my SL2 has the one with the black insulators. The SL2 requires the normal 89 inch pounds. With the Wagon, I had to tweak it with the blue insulators by 10 inch pounds more. At 89, it leaked near where the timing chain would be, and also in plug wells two and three.

So, I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but there is definitely a difference between the two cars even though they both have the same composite covers. The only obvious difference is the insulators. The gaskets may be (and probably are) from different manufacturers.

Let me know what you guys think.
The bolt seals provide some resistance to torquing the bolts as you have discovered. Different materials provide different resistance. The easy way to solve this is to lubricate the seals with petroleum jelly.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:02 AM   #10
mrbios
mrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I totally agree with Squareback. That guy ruined your gasket. They're usually a little long. They expand and contract with heat and cold. The mistake most people make is slightly stretching it when installing it on the cover. By the time you're done, there's too much left over. You're actually supposed to do the opposite. You should scrunch it down as you press it into the groove. It will fit perfectly once completed.
Thanks sooooo much! I had this problem last time I changed it and I actually cut it and removed ~ 1/4"! It still performed ok but this time I did it right. I watched a youtube video and the guy had the same problem.

SOLUTION: Set the gasket on the valve cover but start at the 4 corners and you will see the size is a perfect fit. Felpro VS50454R Valve Cover Gasket Set $34 at Autozone.
mrbios is offline   Reply With Quote