SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 06:45 PM   #1
Jerry

Default LS1: Water Trapped in Driver Side Wiper Well.

When I washed my car the first time I noticed that the driver side windshield wiper arm well retained a good amount of water that almost entirely submerged the wiper arm where it enters the body. The passenger side arm in uneffected by this phenomenon because it has plenty of drain holes.

I pointed this out to my local dealership (Saturn of Chagrin, Orange, OH). They thought that it SHOULD NOT cause any problems, however this is just asking for trouble. Im sure that the wiper assembily was made with weatherproofing in mind, but this places un needed strain on the gaskets (or whatever keeps the elements out).

Has anyone noticed this problem?

One of the techs suggested simply driving a small hole at the base of the well to drain the water. Not a bad idea.

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2000, 10:41 PM   #2
peanutfan_ls1
peanutfan_ls1 is on a distinguished road

Speaking about wipers...just got an LS1 for my wife two day ago and she complained that the wipers were very noisy..like an old car's. Anybody notice that?
Old 10-18-2000, 01:15 AM   #3
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Jerry;

It appears that a lot of the L Series cars did not get a drain hole for the driver side wiper.My dealer drilled a hole at the front of the well,at the bottom of the vertical wall of the well. If you look closely at the well for the other wiper arm you will get an idea for the right size.Get your dealer to do it when in for servicing.

If you do it yourself,make sure you don't put a hole in the bottom of the well as there are some electrics under there.
Old 10-18-2000, 02:29 AM   #4
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

HA, I had a taillight fill with water once. What did we do? drill an itty-bitty (two or three millimeter) hole in the lens! Fixed that problem!
Old 10-18-2000, 09:42 AM   #5
Spork

I noticed that problem shortly after I got my car in June. I had them drill a small hole similar to the ones along the rest of the panel. It looked like a boneheaded design problem to me that should have been taken care of with the 2001 cars. Does anyone know if they fixed that with the new ones?

As far as the wipers being loud, the motor part sounds fine to me. There was a problem with the wipers skipping/chattering, which there is a fix for. Apparently they used too weak of springs on the arms. They will replace them if you mention the problem. I only had the problem on the driver's side, but they replaced both.

Old 10-18-2000, 09:46 AM   #6
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

The well in my LS fills too.

Will have a hole drilled at next oil change.
Old 10-18-2000, 09:48 AM   #7
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan

Hmm.. Hadn't noticed problem 1. However, problem 2 there is a camppaign to fix the wipers on 2000 L-Series. 2001 get new arms.
Old 10-18-2000, 08:58 PM   #8
lgra
lgra is on a distinguished road

Yes on the driver side wiper well collecting water. I noticed it all last winter, but it never seemed to get more than about 5 mm deep. Froze a few times but never bothered anything.
Old 10-18-2000, 10:54 PM   #9
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Chattering/hopping wiper blades covered by TSB 00-T-07 issued Feb,2000. Applies to vehicles with VIN YY655586 or earlier.
Old 10-19-2000, 12:48 PM   #10
gmlinedog
gmlinedog is on a distinguished road

Location: Wilmington Assembly , Pontisc Solstice , Saturn Sky & Opel

The only electronics on the drivers side is the wipermotor. It sits about 3inches above the cowl. Water here shouldnt be a problem because it drains into the door pillar. No , the 2001 wiper closeouts are the same.
Old 10-19-2000, 01:41 PM   #11
Spork

<blockquote><hr><font size="1">Original Post:</font><!--1-->
No , the 2001 wiper closeouts are the same.<hr></blockquote>

Don't you think not putting a drainhole or two was dopey? It will collect if parked, and if enough meltoff collects, it could freeze solid. I can't see any logical reason for them to not have put them there.

Old 10-20-2000, 03:20 PM   #12
traveler
traveler is on a distinguished road

This is interesting. I noticed this water collection problem the first week I had the car in May. My dealer advised against drilling the drain hole. I left it alone. Even in a complete 3 day downpour, it never collects but a quarter of an inch or so in the corners of the tray. After that it leaks out of the perforated holes on the front face. I am gonna just leave well enough alone. I don't see it being a big deal.
Closed Thread