SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
AutoLuxLexES
AutoLuxLexES is on a distinguished road

Default help with restoring saturn

Hello all, the vehicle is actually my girlfriends 1996 saturn coupe SC2 MT with PS, PL, PW? I have been recently driving it so that i can get a feel of what is the issues with the vehicle. the car has been in the family for several years, but has always been maintained by a shotty mechanic. I have since replaced the ECTS(brass), thermostat(Stant), flushed coolant(dishwasher detergent), only to find out the cooling fan motor was out, so i replaced with OEM unit from the junkyard. Now the SES light is on, and the codes that came back from AZ scanner was p0134 and p0141. 666. but the bank1sensor1 was just replaced by me about 3months ago with a universal bosch unit? ive read that these are cruddy quality sensors, and was wondering what units should be bought from rockauto?

also, what are the symptoms of a failing waterpump on these vehicles? because the car in idle traffic will raise above halfway mark, and i turn on the AC to cool down the vehicle to a little over 3/8ths on the temperature gauge.

last question, i noticed that just behind the battery there is a tube coming off the transmission to the head(not connected, but mounted with a bracket) that seems to have an aftermarket plug on it. ill try to get some pics up tomorrow of this, since im sure its kind of confusing.
btw, this forum is great, im usually more familiar with imports, and have since learned a lot about Saturns

any help would be gladly appreciated
Charley

Last edited by AutoLuxLexES; 06-09-2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: forgot some useful info
AutoLuxLexES is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: help with restoring saturn

I don't know about the codes you are getting.

The temperature will sometimes rise above halfway when in traffic. The fan is set to come on when the temperature gets around 3/4. A failing waterpump will start to leak coolant. You will notice falling coolant levels and drips onto the ground below the waterpump.

The tube with the plug coming off the transmission is the vent. It is supposed to be that way.
Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL

The codes are both related to the O2 sensors; both the front (P0134) and the rear (P0141).

The only true way to replace the rear O2 sensor, aside form bathing it in a constant bath of PB Blaster for a solid month( or longer ); is to replace the entire exhaust back of the Cat Converter. The rear O2 sensor is a real bugger to even TRY to get out; as it basically rusts itself into the exhaust pipe. It may just be better for you to replace the exhaust and the O2 sensor at the same time. (Just a thought. Walker? I think are the preferred exhaust systems on Saturns.)

The fact that the front one continues to go bad *Could* be related to a clogged Cat Converter. If you unplug and unscrew the front O2 sensor and run the car without the sensor (will be very loud); it may unplug the Cat Converter to get some of the buildup out of the exhaust system.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
AutoLuxLexES

Ok. Ill give it a shot with unplugging the o2 sensor. How long should I run with the o2 sensor off.

I'm so glad I don't have to change out the wp. Thanks for the input. I'm located in az and its really warm, but the temp gauge pretty much rises to half way point in a matter of like 3 mins or so starting from an overnight sitting vehicle. It kinda stays at 3\8 for a very brief moment but usually keeps rising

Thanks
Charley
Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

The temperature gauge should stay fairly constant at a little less than halfway when warmed up. It should only go above that if you are stopped for an extended period of time in traffic with little airflow. You may need to replace your thermostat if it is acting much different than that.
Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

another thing to check for the wp is see if theres any coolant collecting around the bottom mount for the rad on the passenger side (mine was doing that when it was going bad and before super obvious). The temp shooting up that quick sounds like your running strait water cause thats way to fast as mine is usually between 1.5 to 2 miles to warm up to just below 1/2 even at the temps we see.

Another thing to try is try/change the front o2 and see if it still kicks the one for the back o2 cause as I remember its not that common for both to fail at the same time.

Az a little warm in the summer who woulda guessed that I know of it was just barely under 110 today
car bought 12/15/07
car MIA as of 7/29/09, recovered 8/5/09
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
AutoLuxLexES

well, good news, after work around 5pm today, i rushed out into traffic and not necessarily floored it, but gave it a good amound more gas than usually, and check engine light went away.

so if the light comes on again, i read that there are some contacts that need cleaning. so well take it from there i guess.

saturnsl293, where in az are you?

Charley
Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoLuxLexES View Post
Ok. Ill give it a shot with unplugging the o2 sensor. How long should I run with the o2 sensor off.
Just long enough to see if it makes a difference in performance / driveability. And you don't just unplug it, you _remove_ it. The idea is to give the exhaust a "tracheotomy". It doesn't un-clog the cat or clean out any buildup as suggested, it _bypasses_ it. Removing the O2 sensor simply creates a "least resistance" exhaust path; you're literally letting the engine breathe out through that little bung hole. If that improves performance, it indicates that there is a restriction downstream. This is ONLY a test, however; performance will return to its previous state when you re-install the sensor.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Phoenix more specifically Glendale
car bought 12/15/07
car MIA as of 7/29/09, recovered 8/5/09
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:32 AM   #10