SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
MartyL
MartyL is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Power Mirrors - not working

I went to adjust my power mirrors and neither is working. Power windows work just fine. Are they on a common fuse? IF not which fuse is for the power mirrors since the manual does not indicate that.

Thanks for the help.
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
jbcharger20
jbcharger20 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1999 SL2
Default Re: Power Mirrors - not working

I am experiencing this same problem. Checked the switch wires for power and there was none. Checked what I think was all the fuses and all seemed good. Searched for answers on here and not having any luck. Also noticed my warning chime is not working either. Anybody know where to go from here?
jbcharger20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
black04ion91
black04ion91 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

For the power mirrors not working you probably need to replace the mirror switch http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Mine never worked from the day I bought it, then I bought the part off of ebay and now they work fine. swapping this part out took literally 5 minutes to do, I think it was just two screws that needed to be taken out of the door handle and then you could remove the switch.
black04ion91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
MeanGreen
MeanGreen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Check all your fuses?
2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-FE5 Suspension with Pedder springs
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
phreich
phreich is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

My daughter's Ion had a problem come up with the power mirror when the weather started to cool down. It wasn't the fuse. I drove her car recently to check this out. It turns out that the switch is getting less touch-sensitive. When I sharply "tap" the switch quadrants, then the mirror motors work. Gently pressing doesn't work. I am going to remove the switch, and clean it up and spray in some "DeOxit" into it, and that hopefully will cure the sensitivity (or lack thereof) issue.... WD40 might also clean the internals of the switch, but Caig DeOxit actually removes oxidation on contacts.

Caig DeOxit has solved a number of switch and contact related issues for me over the years. It was suggested by a friend of mine who was an electronics service tech. I believe you can find it on Amazon, or at any electronics supply house (not at Radio Shack). I also use it on oxidized light bulb contacts -- basically it can be used anywhere in an electrical circuit that has some kind of mechanical connection.

I hope this helps....
phreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreich View Post
WD40 might also clean the internals of the switch, but Caig DeOxit actually removes oxidation on contacts.
WD-40 is a wonderful product (like Duct Tape) but (just like Duct Tape) it shouldn't be used for Electrical Repairs. It may work in a pinch but not the proper tool for the job.
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
97SL2guy
97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

I realize this thread is 6 years old, but I just bought my 06 Ion a little over a week ago and the only thing on the entire car that doesn't work are the power mirrors! Frustrating, but no huge deal. I figured it was a fuse, but when I look on the list of 2006 Ion fuses, both under-hood and under-dash, I don't see a fuse for power mirrors! The closest I find are for power windows switches, and since they're all in the same panel, I figured they all shared the same fuse.

So, I bought a really nice, clean power mirror switch from a super nice Ion at the wrecking yard. Still no power mirrors!

I'm wondering WHAT any of you found, or how you got the mirrors to work?

Thanks.
Sold the 97 SL2 and bought a 06 Ion! SO MUCH NICER car! Problem is, I don't think there is a way to change my username, so I'm leaving my username alone until I figure out if/how it can be changed.
97SL2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SL2guy View Post
I realize this thread is 6 years old, but I just bought my 06 Ion a little over a week ago and the only thing on the entire car that doesn't work are the power mirrors! Frustrating, but no huge deal. I figured it was a fuse, but when I look on the list of 2006 Ion fuses, both under-hood and under-dash, I don't see a fuse for power mirrors! The closest I find are for power windows switches, and since they're all in the same panel, I figured they all shared the same fuse.

So, I bought a really nice, clean power mirror switch from a super nice Ion at the wrecking yard. Still no power mirrors!

I'm wondering WHAT any of you found, or how you got the mirrors to work?

Thanks.
The power mirrors receive power from the BCM. Check all BCM-related fuses and look for broken wires in the driver's door jamb.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 211K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 85K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
97SL2guy
97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
The power mirrors receive power from the BCM. Check all BCM-related fuses and look for broken wires in the driver's door jamb.
Thanks! I did check EVERY underhood fuse and all are good. Haven't checked the ones under the dash but plan to. Since the mirrors power off the BCM, I'm wondering if they are related to whatever is making my battery light come on about 15-20 seconds after I start the car, then stay on all day until I shut the engine off, even though the alternator checked out fine and the battery is new. I just got the car, and so far, the only thing on it that doesn't work are the mirrors. Got a "new" switch off a low-mileage wrecked Ion at the wrecking yard, thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't.

Better crawl under the steering column and check the inboard fuses now!
Sold the 97 SL2 and bought a 06 Ion! SO MUCH NICER car! Problem is, I don't think there is a way to change my username, so I'm leaving my username alone until I figure out if/how it can be changed.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
97SL2guy

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreich View Post
It turns out that the switch is getting less touch-sensitive. When I sharply "tap" the switch quadrants, then the mirror motors work. Gently pressing doesn't work.
I hope this helps....
That's funny you said this, because I replaced my switch and it still didn't work, but when I tapped it instead of pressing down like normal, it works! Yep, tapping the round switch moves the mirrors, but just pressing down for either direction does nothing!

The things you learn here in the forum... amazing!
Old 08-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #11
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Oh boy. Might need to test out this Tap vs Press "fix". Been having issues with the Power Mirrors and (1 Power Window) over the last few years (Have previously "fixed"/patched/protected several vulnerable wires in the driver's side door jamb/wire boot so might need to result to opening up the door again...).

Did you eventually find the fix/cause? Could see the "Tap" might do the trick if adjustments aren't needed regularly...

FYI, WD-40 now makes an Electrical Contact Cleaner (works good)... So you can actually use "WD-40" to clean contacts.... and on reflection I suppose as a Water Displacement a squirt of actual WD-40 might just help protect a connection vs nothing at all...
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
97SL2guy

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave View Post
Oh boy. Might need to test out this Tap vs Press "fix".
Believe me, it DOES work! Not sure why or how, but it does! I even purchased a newer used one from the wrecking yard but that didn't help. Like the other guy said, the ONLY way my mirrors will move is if I tap the round switch. Nothing happens when I simply press it. It's in the switch, and has nothing to do with the BCM signal.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #13
Chili46
Chili46 is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but this might help someone new looking for a solution to the remote mirrors not work. It's pretty simple and you don't need to buy a new switch/controller.

Things get gunked up all the time. Pop the controller out of the door (no need to remove the door panel) and disconnect the wiring harness. The unit can be separated to reveal a printed circuit board. Use some electronic contact cleaner spray and a shop towel to clean the slider switch and the brass pads for the positioning switch.

Put it back together, plug it in to the wiring harness, and test it. It should be working fine now. There are NO electronic parts to the switch - just contact points.

If it still isn't working, then there may be other problems with the mirrors or the electrical power going to the switch.
Chili46 is offline   Reply With Quote