saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
uplifta
uplifta is on a distinguished road

Default headlights???

got another problem..

passenger headlight doesnt work, fuses are ok, when i put the alarm on only the driver side light blinks,...while driving both lights dont go on.......

highbeams/fogs are bth ok...

any help as to opening up the front & checking the bulb b/c i dont want to break any clips or anything......

any help please........?.....

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
jeffkics
jeffkics is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

do a seach on headlights on this board and look for the post to remove the headlamps.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:03 PM   #3
My 1st Ute
My 1st Ute is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Check your owner's manual, it has easy to follow headlight removal instructions.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: headlights???

Quote:
Originally posted by uplifta
got another problem..

passenger headlight doesnt work, fuses are ok, when i put the alarm on only the driver side light blinks,...while driving both lights dont go on.......

highbeams/fogs are bth ok...

any help as to opening up the front & checking the bulb b/c i dont want to break any clips or anything......

any help please........?.....

Let the dealer fix it under warranty so you don't have to bother
Old 02-24-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
uplifta

thanx 4 tha info guys....

so i went to the dealer, once of the service reps couldnt figure it out, so they brought out 2 techs from tha back & figured out it was only a blown bulb on the passenger side...

he was xplaining to me, that the power runs thru both lights & if once if blown, then the other wont work, which xplains what was happening.......

i was asking the service guy about hyper white lights, told me not to get them, gave me 2 reasons:

1. they only last for 5-7mths

2. according to him, someone had bought them b4 & installed them, came back a few weeks later & the 50watt bulbs had melted the housing around the lights.....

has this happend to anyone else??....i can believe them blowing out after a while, but melting the housing.......not too sure bout that.....

or is this another sales pitch, to get me to buy factory stuff from them????/
Old 02-24-2004, 02:15 PM   #6
uplifta

dont mind the spelling errors, im typing as fast as i can, so i dont get in trouble here at work.....hehehehe
Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #7
My 1st Ute
My 1st Ute is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

He couldn't be talking about the headlights... the stock lights are 55W!!!

Pehaps he meant the foglights which are 27.5W stock????

I can't see a 50W bulb creating enough heat to melt the housing... Perhaps the customer installed 100W bulbs in his lowbeams...
Old 02-24-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
rfulcher
rfulcher is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Increased "hyper-white" wattage

Some of these aftermarket "hyper-white" bulbs actually are rated at higher-than-stock wattage, thereby overheating the lighting fixture. It is not unheard of for these bulbs to melt or fuse the headlight wiring harness or lamp housing.

The dealer is correct in saying that the service life of these bulbs is shorter. For example, Sylvania SilverStars (which are actually rated for the correct wattage) advertise on their website that the bulbs should last about one year. One year is still a pathetic lifespan for a headlight bulb, and I'm sure that their numbers don't take into account that the VUE's low-beams are on all the time as DRLs. But based on the coolness factor, some people might not object to spending $40 every 5-6 months for the look of the SilverStars. (I have to say I might try replacing my fogs with SilverStars just to experiment and see how long they last)

You can buy correct replacement bulbs from any car part or discount store (i.e. Wal-Mart) retailer, so the dealership is not trying to smokescreen you into buying factory parts. They're just trying to make your headlights safer and more reliable.

The moral(s) of this story: If you carefully follow your owner's manual instructions, you can learn how to replace your own headlamp bulbs. Only use bulbs that are rated for the correct factory wattage. Buy your bulbs wherever you feel like you get the best price for them, and use a reputable brand.

-- Rob
'04 VUE V6 FWD Silver Nickel
Old 02-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #9
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

One year lifespan?! That IS pretty pathetic! The 1995 Cavalier I owned before the VUE was still on it's original head/high beam lights after seven years.

If that's the case I think I'll pass on the Silverstars. Maybe as a foglight bulb replacement (as per rfulcher's comment) but that's it.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
cad_man
cad_man is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Sylvania Silver Star

If you go to Sylvania's own WEB site and do research on the Silver Star bulb, they list the typical life of 1 year. The Silver Star bulb is the same wattage as the stock bulb. The PIAA bulbs are typically higher wattage and in "SOME" instances melt the light housing. Notice I said "SOME"

cad_man
Closed Thread