SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
MICHRV
MICHRV will become famous soon enoughMICHRV will become famous soon enough

Default 2002 Saturn L200 service-security lights

I have owned this car since new, but now have a problem with the service lite and the security flashing when the inside of the car gets over 90 degrees in heat. When it is cool in the mornings everything works normal, and I can drive for miles with the A/C on and still nothing bad happens. It goes bad when sitting in the sun at a parking lot.
I have spent many hours reading other threads on service and security problems. I asked a local mechanic if he can fix the problem, he said he has the correct equipment to determine the problem. I told him what I read about the BCM and he said it may be just a relay or wiring. I will take it to him in 2 days unless someone has a better idea....
MICHRV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 Saturn L200 service-security lights

As you can see from the drawing, the bcm sits on top of the glove box and I doubt anyone can repair any bcm. No one has yet to demonstrate any aftermarket repair that went 100% perfect. No one. Search any thread here within Saturnfans on any forum. As a rule, there are no user serviceable parts in bcm's for repair. What you'll find from any forum here with models using bcm's are that they fail and are replaced/programmed with new ones only by GM. Used bcm's from anywhere retain their original mileage and cannot be changed. The remotes you have cannot be used on another bcm unless the bcm is programmed by GM with your remotes.

Before concluding a bcm issue, have you tried Autozone's free reading to decode any error codes that come and go? If you are able to see any codes, write them down for posting/searching.

If this is bcm related, a temporary fix and experiment to see if this helps to verify it, would be using those window blinds that block out the sun from heating the interior or park under a large shady spot/tree. Perhaps using one for those HOT days and leaving windows cracked open may verify a bcm issue if the cooler dash/interior results in less grief. A large cardboard box cut up to custom fit your windshield is cheaper than buying one of you don't have one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L200 BCM.jpg (107.6 KB, 16 views)
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
MICHRV
MICHRV will become famous soon enoughMICHRV will become famous soon enough

Happy Re: 2002 Saturn L200 service-security lights

[B]UPDATE[B] I hope this is the location to give an update on my 2002 Saturn L200 4cyl.
The problem was the body control module breaking down with high temperature degrees inside the car. I decided to get it repaired at a small local shop 2 miles from home. The owner had told me he had correct tools to fix even if it was the BCM. He did verify the BCM was the problem. He ordered a new one from GM $431.34 no discount. He had to contact A-C Delco for correct program, then did the flash program new body control module at $80.00 which included the 3 key fobs. Labor for this was $138.00 (2 hours) I got a 10.00% discount on labor. Total was $627.54 before tax. I hope I allowed to say that....
I want to thank fdyer for his reply and expertise. I use this car to pull behind my motorhome and end up in sunny FL, so I thought it best to fix.
And thanks to Saturnfans for a great site.
MICHRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Bob McIntyre
Bob McIntyre is on a distinguished road

I have a 2002 L200 with automatic transmission. It has 156,000 miles on it. Recently I have had a similar problem. The alarm is being tripped and the horn starts sounding after the car has been out in the sun or warm weather for a while. As the car cools the alarm trips. I reset it and as the car continues to cool it trips again. I have checked every entry point switch and I have not found a problem. Prior to this I have also noticed while driving the security light and service light come on together at the same time. To me this is all pointing to a faulty BCM but I would like a second opinion. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Bob McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some suggestions may help isolate this problem. Presuming your alarm and horn is the factory system and not an aftermarket system, try disabling it by using the remote to Unlock (disables Passlock) and use the key to manually lock/unlock doors. Using the door lock switch will allow locking/unlocking doors without enabling/disabling Passlock. Passlock is GM's theft deterrent system (part of bcm programs) to disable injectors if someone tries to steal the car without an ignition key. The horns and lights are the vehicle theft system for noise/attention. When remotes aren't used to lock and enable Passlock, security is disabled. Try this for a day or two to see if security is triggered randomly since you're not using it.

If it's determined the bcm is failing, you have some options. Buying used ones is the most inexpensive repair with some fallout. Remotes won't work until they're programmed by GM to the replacement bcm. Mileage is retained in all used bcm's and cannot be altered. New bcm's are programmed by GM for remotes and mileage with costs varying from a few hundred to a thousand dollars depending on each GM dealer. Used bcm's are 'married' to the pcm for the security system, termed a relearn procedure anyone can do at home. A thirty minute relearn procedure posted many times here.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
Bob McIntyre
Bob McIntyre is on a distinguished road

A new BCM purchased on eBay for slightly less than a rebuilt one DID fix my problem. I now have a new problem. I posted a new thread to that problem. I am sorry for the late reply. I did not have the e-mail notice turned on and I forgot to check back.
Bob McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote