Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default best brakes pads? + advance auto sucks false advertising FAIL FAIL FAIL

whats the best cost effective brake pad for a saturn sl2
i dont want to replace in 5k but

im looking at duralast gold ceramic FRONT brake pads at auto zone and contemplating it because they actually hold up their lifetime warranties and DONT delete it from their computer system AT 34.99(GOOD ONLINE REVIEWS TOO FOR THE MOST PART)

unlike advances auto they delete lifetime warranty info out of their computers every 2 years and tell you to keep your receipt forever, and that its not insane to expect you to do so

so I am stuck with a lifetime warranty pad that i cant use my lifetime warranty on at advance auto bs

not to mention the guy at the parts counter couldn't explain to me why they said over the phone that they could swap it out for me as long as it was the same brake set

any how massive fail at advance auto-dont ever shop there they are scam artists!

i took a video of the guy telling me how they scam me and that i need to keep the reciept to get the false advertising people after him

I PLAN TO POST IT ON YOUTUBE!

ANYHOW
whats the best brake pads that will basically last the longest and wear slowly, i have heard good reviews about duralast gold pads..
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Default Re: best brakes pads? + advance auto sucks false advertising FAIL FAIL FAIL

First off, stay away from Auto Parts store. Go to http://www.autopartswarehouse.com , there you can order EBC pads and rotors. EBC makes HIGH quality stuff in England.

FRONT $231.00 : http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...html?loc=Front

FRONT $193.00 http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...html?loc=Front

Here is a link, keep in mind there are front and rear disc sets.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...+rotor&submit=

Research EBC, you will not be disappointed.
96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
Default Re: best brakes pads? + advance auto sucks false advertising FAIL FAIL FAIL

i went ahead and bought powerstop pads with carbon ceramic goodness in them

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...html?loc=Front for sale way cheaper on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221059151894...witem=&vxp=mtr

so 28$ and im good cause im trying to not destroy new rotors and thee pads are said on the first link to be easy on rotors so im psyched im going 75-0 in -4 seconds now

also the only bad review i found on em was they couldnt fit other than that, high regards for these pads
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

sales gimmick:? yes no?

Powerstop Brake Pads Evolution

Product Description

Power Stop Z16 Ceramic pads are now common on original equipment cars and trucks. Ceramic brakes offer a good all-around performance with quite, vibration free operation. Evolution clean ride ceramic brake pads have low resin content and they are Kevlar enhanced to prevent high temperatures glazing (resin bleed resulting in brake fade). Evolution pads are 100% non-ferrous to eliminate annoying metal to metal noise and wear. They come slotted, chamfered and shimmed just like the OE pads. The third generation Evolution ceramic is perfect for your performance street rides. Ceramic pads are not recommended for severe duty truck and towing applications.

* Evolution pads are 100% non-ferrous to eliminate annoying metal to metal noise and wear.
* The third generation Evolution ceramic is perfect for your performance street rides.
* Equip your vehicle with Power Stop Rotors for the ultimate brake system
* Backed by a 3-year/36,000 mile warranty
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Easy on rotors = no stopping, generally. I find it amusing how many people complain their brakes don't work very well, then find out they're using the crap parts store "life-time warranty" pads where you get new ones for free when they wear out.
Premium Napa pads lock up 205/40R17's with 200k miles on the rest of the braking system without any problems, but you pay the premium price and to my knowledge they don't give you a new set when they wear out.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

Lifetime on brakes - "Realy means for the time You keep Your car" wich is
Yes, a gimick in-itself. be carefull Lots of cheap offshore brake
parts & hardware from CHINA appearing on the
market that dont work right and are not safe for use on any car.! buyer beware.

the brakes i put on my SL1 almost 3 years ago were ceramic kind pads from
ATE till this day work beutifully no squeeks,or noises of any kind and stop
well. Very satisfied with ATE
" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

I've only heard people praise EBC pads on bog standard rotors.
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

I really like the Duralast Gold C-Max pads from AutoZone. They are worth the extra $15 (cost is $50) over the regular Duralast Gold pads. They include new clips and lube for the caliper pins. They leave virtually no dust on the wheels. Braking is consistent and predictable regardless of the weather conditions. They do a good job of resisting brake fade when used hard. Lastly, they also come with the reliable Lifetime warranty from AutoZone. I am using the Duralast rotors with these pads.

If you live in the salt belt, I would not recommend the regular Duralast Gold pads. On the set I had, the backing plate rusted in the middle underneath the stainless steel shim. This caused a mushy pedal feel and inconsistent braking. I only had them installed for about 20,000 miles over the course of a couple years which included two salty winters.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 02-01-2013 at 11:52 AM.
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
If you live in the salt belt, I would not recommend the regular Duralast Gold pads. On the set I had, the backing plate rusted in the middle underneath the stainless steel shim. This caused a mushy pedal feel and inconsistent braking. I only had them installed for about 20,000 miles over the course of a couple years which included two salty winters.
As an Ohioan who installed Duralast Gold pads 8 months ago, I really hate to hear that.

I had an AutoZone employee tell me to make a photocopy or computer scan of all my receipts, because they're printed with ink that disappears in about two years. I checked my file of receipts, and he's right. The receipt for my two-year-old radiator has faded to the point of being illegible.

Disppaearing ink on receipts? That's a Boss Hogg level of scammery.
'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56 View Post
As an Ohioan who installed Duralast Gold pads 8 months ago, I really hate to hear that.

I had an AutoZone employee tell me to make a photocopy or computer scan of all my receipts, because they're printed with ink that disappears in about two years. I checked my file of receipts, and he's right. The receipt for my two-year-old radiator has faded to the point of being illegible.

Disppaearing ink on receipts? That's a Boss Hogg level of scammery.
AutoZone permanently stores warrantied item purchases. As long as you can remember the phone number it is stored in, then you don't need a receipt.

However, some AutoZone employees don't correctly enter the information before the purchase. This is why there may be multiple duplicate listings for you when they go to look it up. They do have the capability to merge these records and update the phone numbers for them, but most people don't think to ask an employee to do this. When I swapped out my water pump at AutoZone a couple weeks ago. There were about 10 listings for me.

Also, AutoZone, along with most other retailers, use receipts that are printed on thermal paper. No ink is used. Instead, the print is burned onto the paper. The fading is not intended by the retailer, but is simply "the nature of the beast" when using this type of paper/printing.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 02-01-2013 at 01:50 PM.
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

power stop brakes have kevlar in them and have extremely high ratings and very good reviews thats why I bought them, autozone sucks, so do most parts stores, i read about the rust in the duralast pads and thats why i decided against, that and i wanted high grade usa made stuff, find me a bad review of power stop pads somewhere please, i can't, id like to hear what bad stuff someone has to say about them

plus on a budget cant beat 28$ and my new 36$ ebay bendix rotors will last and theres a 3 year 36k mile warranty on the pads so they have to be pretty damn good

28 $pads + 36 rotors$ new front high quality brakes cant beat that with an ebay stick!

anyhow i want my rotors to last for a few sets of pads(aka rest of the cars life)

so i spent $64 when if I went to autoboys or pep auto wouldv cost me at least 63$ rotors and $37 pads

$100= net me $36-50$ in my pocky

Last edited by bobyjones; 02-01-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

im sorry that was 32$ for the bendix rotors
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

turns out bendix are made in china now just recieved the rotors
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

EBC is made in England and possible in Ohio too? Centric I've heard good things about.
96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

bendix- it thought were made in ohio too, apparantly not the ones i bought, are one step above centric and one step below akebono on this rating page:
http://blog.iseecars.com/2011/03/18/...manufacturers/

thats why i bought these and the power stop pads are usa made, they also have awesome reviwes:
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...amic-Brake-Pad

quote me:
i just ordered two of these BENDIX ROTORS though, cant top that price, $16 per rotor, because i gotta cash in on my free brake pads at advanced auto-wrong they suck

I finally found a good website on brake parts to read:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187073
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

1. Brembo

Brembo is so good that many auto manufacturers offer Brembo brake parts as upgrades on their factory brands. They’ve recently joined Ford’s Preferred Suppliers list, and they have a long-standing history with General Motors and Chrysler as well. They are makers mostly of high-performance brake parts, which means they’re not cheap. It also means that you may not want to put them on your Chevy Cobalt. But if you’re into racing, have a sports car, or simply want a nice upgrade to your factory brakes, Brembo is the way to go.

2. Akebono

Akebono is available on ebay cheap. They make a full line of parts, including front and rear calipers, brake pads, and drum brake parts, including parking brake. They are the originator of ceramic brake technology and are still the largest OEM friction pad suppliers. Their Ultra Performance line is one of the best at eliminating brake dust, and successfully addresses the performance-specific requirements of many European makes.

3. Bendix

Since acquiring French engineer Henri Perrot’s shoe-brake patents in 1924, Bendix has been making some of the best brake parts in the world. They manufacture both metallic and ceramic brake pads, as well as hydraulic brake parts and hardware. The Bendix TitaniuMetallic II line boasts a break-in period of only 50 stops before the coating wears off, compared to an average 200 stops from other brands. Bendix CQ is the ceramic line, and it is designed to meet original equipment vehicle specifications, with less brake dust and smoother performance. Bendix is available in many parts stores across North America.

4. Centric

The downside to Centric brake parts is that they don’t sell directly to the consumer. That means you’ll need to find a distributor who carries their line if you want to test these brakes out. Most experts agree, however, that these brakes are worth the extra effort to get a hold of. They have two performance divisions, Power Slot and Stop Tech. Power Slot is manufactured for trucks, SUVs, and severe-duty vehicles, while Stop Tech is more for the performance and racing-based vehicles. Like Brembo, Centric sticks to the performance side of braking.

5. Raybestos

Raybestos makes the Napa line of brakes, so if you’re interested in Raybestos that’s where you’ll want to go. As for quality, they are right up there with the big boys regarding OEM replacement parts on most vehicles. They don’t offer much in the way of a performance line, but the Napa Ceramix line is one of the best aftermarket pads available. They are trusted enough that they’ve become one of the leading brake part manufacturers to be used and installed in service shops across the country.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #17
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

best pads i've ever used in my sl2; carbotech panthers. when paired with some r-compound tires, they will hurt you. be prepared to change the rotors at least once before the pads wear out, tho. not sure if you can even get those pads anymore.

if you're not competing, just get whatever autozone (or the nearest parts store to you) has. keep the receipt. any pad will stop the car...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Easy on rotors = no stopping, generally. I find it amusing how many people complain their brakes don't work very well, then find out they're using the crap parts store "life-time warranty" pads where you get new ones for free when they wear out.
Premium Napa pads lock up 205/40R17's with 200k miles on the rest of the braking system without any problems, but you pay the premium price and to my knowledge they don't give you a new set when they wear out.
Carbotech Panther Plus 7 9 7 7

notes:
Excellent choice for track use such as HPDE/driver's ed / time attack / open lapping days. Tremendous brake torque available in cold and hot operating conditions. More versatile operating temperatures than XP which should be used for dedicated track cars running endurance type events. Increased dust and noise but very rotor friendly. Can be used on the street for customers not minding the dust/noise.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobyjones View Post
Carbotech Panther Plus 7 9 7 7

notes:
Excellent choice for track use such as HPDE/driver's ed / time attack / open lapping days. Tremendous brake torque available in cold and hot operating conditions. More versatile operating temperatures than XP which should be used for dedicated track cars running endurance type events. Increased dust and noise but very rotor friendly. Can be used on the street for customers not minding the dust/noise.
i agree with all but the rotor-friendly part. my pads chewed thru a brand new set of rotors in one autocross season. to the point where i actually had difficulty getting the pads over the lip at the edge of the rotor when removing the caliper. they stop like you wouldn't believe, tho. lots of grinding/squealing when cold. enormous amount of brake/rotor dust. but, if you're autocrossing, you will LOVE these pads. the initial bite is biblical...

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #20
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

i need gets the job done plus some, not plus some and costs 150$ a pair plus your autocrossing on em of course ur gonna destroy e stuff

I OPTED OF OUT SLOTTER ROTORS AND DRILLED BECAUSE IVE SEEN SOME NICE PICTURES OF CRACKED ROTORS THAT ARE DRILLED AND RUSTED, SEEMS LIKE A BAD IDEA HONESTLY BUT WHATEVA FLOATS UR BOAT IF YOU NEED GOOD TILL THEY CRACK RACER ROTORS WITH ROTORS REALLY WHATS THE DIFFERENCE ITS ALL THE SAME OEM