SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
ronway77
ronway77 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Limp mode reset?

I have a 2002 Saturn L300 that my daughter drives, my question is in regards to "limp mode", once the problem has been diagnosed and resolved does the cars computer actually return to "normal mode"? or does a code or something need to be reset.

I took the car to my local shop and they said it had a throttle body code, for which they put on a new throttle body but the problem didn't go away, after 3 more days of troubleshooting they finally gave up and asked me to come and get the car, we barely got the car home under its own power.

I noticed a gas smell around the rear of the car, and checked the fuel filter and the top of the tank was wet with gas. I dropped the exhaust and tank, and replaced the fuel pump which came out in 3 pieces upon removal with the springs rolling around in the bottom of the tank. So the "wet tank" issue is resolved, but still the car doesn't have any power, and the SES light isn't on.

Code reader should arrive tomorrow, so hopefully it'll point me in the direction of resolution, or the funny farm whichever comes first.

Thanks for any help.
Ron
ronway77 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
krs7272
krs7272 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Limp mode reset?

This seems very similar to my brothers car issue. I have a thread a couple down "P2110". I came here seeing I've heard changing throttle body may not fix issue
krs7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its unfortunate that your local repair shop couldn't find the cause of this problem. This points out the difficulty in maintaining proficiency skills with EFI systems and the advancements made to continually enhance engine controls. Drive-by-wire subsystems are proven in every military and commercial aircraft used for well over 20years but relatively new in the automobile world. The few threads here on Saturnfans that were posted only showed one real solution with one Vue owner replacing a worn out throttle actuator with a used one successfully. The non-serviceable insides were determined worn and may benefit from some TLC but getting the vehicle back on the road was the priority. We've never heard from this member if any minor repairs were done to tac and used.

Limp home mode or reduced power mode, when the rpm indicator is turned ON, is the default power to allow driving to the side of the road or limping to a safe place for the call for help. Its the safe way as opposed to having an inadvertent runaway engine if the dbw system fails. Once a repair is correctly done, the next ignition ON cycle tests all systems automatically in the first few seconds and if these self tests pass the SES/CEL/MIL indicator turns off. These self tests are done every time the ignition switch is turned ON. The alternate reset method would be either disconnecting the battery negative cable for 30 seconds or the ECM/PCM fuses for same amount of time. Although this will reset memory where error codes are stored, any real errors that aren't corrected are still detected via the power-on self tests and automatically turn on the SES/CEL/MIL indicator. The error code(s) will be stored again in memory for retrieval by most readers.

Retrieving the error codes is the first thing to do and the repair shop should be capable of giving you the error codes.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
ronway77

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The code reader detects two fault codes on my 2002 L300, P1780 and P0502, after reading some other threads I replaced the cps, no resolution, same codes show up after clearing and a test drive, the car starts and idles fine, if you rev it up around 2K it starts to stumble and hesitate, surge etc...I'm open for any ideas as to where to go from here,,,,other threads point to the output shaft speed sensor???
Old 07-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
ronway77

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Okay, so word to the wise, replace the cheap sensor first, transmission speed sensor 20, cps 90, unfortunately neither fixed my problem on my daughters car. No dtc codes being generated now but code reader indicates several subsystems won't complete their self-check, they are: eva, 02s, cat, and egr.

Have replaced plugs, boots and clamps on intake manifold, cps,oss, fuel pump and filter, oil n filter, and checked trans fluid levels, and all fuses?

Car starts and idles fine, have used propane to try and identify and find vacuum leaks, none found, when you take the car out for a test drive, it'll barely run 40 mph, exhaust note is a little more "throaty" also than I remember, daughters car so I never really drove it that much.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may have several issues that are now showing themselves. No DTC's means the errors have reset when the engine was started up. The reset also causes the ECM to erase memory that now requires 'the drive cycle' to allow the engine/xmission parameters relearned. If state emission inspection is due the car won't pass until these readiness monitors pass. Normal everyday driving will fulfill the drive cycle to have all monitors pass for emission inspection.

The car not running above 40mph may one of several issues; clogged catalytic converter, strangled fuel filter, worn out fuel pump, etc..
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
ronway77

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I plan to remove the front o2 sensor in front of the cat tomorrow, and see how the car runs, it's interesting that only the rear bank has a cat inline before the y pipe, I guess they figure one cat is enough to do the job and whatever is happening in the rear bank is happening in the front?, the front has an o2 monitor but no apparent cat?, am I correct on this?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
ronway77

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

okay my bad, should research before asking a question, or at least look at the exhaust diagram, front and rear cats prob upstream and down stream sensors for each also....so two o2's to remove before the test drive....
Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
ronway77

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

pulled the pre cat o2s and drove the car....car ran like it used to....so off to track down a good price on some cats
Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
ronway77

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Okay, so here's to anyone following this post...I replaced both of the cats/pre-cons, and car runs fine, got the parts off of ebay, about 460 for the pair, and not too hard to install, you will need some additional hardware in the form of 6 bolts/nuts/& lockwashers, the old system has the nuts welded in place, and the new system just has open holes for the nuts to go through....hope this helps someone